Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Various Questions

I've noticed in the movies that the explosions do not look to realistic, they look like a cloud of dust coming up from the ground(usually leaves no craters or damage I've noticed) But I was just wondering if this is going to be changed? I also saw that in the movies the house on fire! I love that! But in one of the movies I see that the MG gunners sit in the middle of a field vulnerable to enemy fire, do the lie prone and can infantry hide and fire from houses? I usually see the infantry only kneeling, do they every lie down when fired at? All in all this game looks great and you will get my money when it comes out smile.gif

[This message has been edited by WWIIRulz (edited 08-24-99).]

They DO leave craters and damage trust me ;)..

They can lie prone if they are suppressed yes. But when they sit down its to signify they aren't suppressed more than anything IMO.

Infantry: yep, they often hit the dirt.

I think that's it.

Guest Big Time Software

CM infantry "crouch" when they're not suppressed. This is mainly to show the player that the unit is in good shape and ready to fight. In reality the soldiers might actually be prone, but since suppressed soldiers are also shown as prone, we found that showing everyone as prone, regardless of their state, was visually confusing and forced the player to click on everyone for status information way too often. So the "crouch" might make them look a little "vulnerable" but rest assured that the men are actually hugging whatever cover they can get - and the crouch is just a visual signal to you that they're in ready condition.

Charles

Guest Big Time Software

One more thing...

Explosions do indeed involve lots of dust, dirt, chunks of ground, and other stuff in real life. However, each and every "chunk" would have to be at least one or two polygons. This means an extra speed hit for each explosion. Right now we don't think that the graphical benefit is worth the speed hit. Also, real life explosions are billow in many directions in different shapes. This again requires lots of extra polygons. Too many extra polygons smile.gif Certainly something we will improve upon as computers and 3D cards get better over the years.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

And delay the release because of it? I don't think people would be too happy with us smile.gif At this moment we can't afford to be adding graphical enhancements like this that only a few will be able to use. Simply not enough time. Later we will for sure. When is later? Sometime after now smile.gif

Steve

I have a couple of questions regarding the specs listed on the website and thought I'd post 'em here as, seems to be a general quesiton place.

Your site lists the hardware requirements for Windows system as a P500. What's a P500. I have a Pentium 1 233mhz w/mmx, I've herd of Pentium II and of course, Pentium 3's (PIII) are out now, but I don't know what a P500 is.

It also seems like you will need a 3D card to run this game, is that correct? (I don't have one, don't want to buy one).

An d on the game itself, is the reason that liberated POWs don't return to the fight is due to simulating the debriefing process?

As I have been reading more about what you can do in the game I am getting more interested. This is beginning to be a lot like playing soldiers with your friends as a kid, except with tangible rules.

Kevin,

"Your site lists the hardware requirements for Windows system as a P500. What's a P500. have a Pentium 1 233mhz w/mmx, I've herd of Pentium II and of course, Pentium 3's (PIII) are out now, but I don't know what a P500 is."

Nowhere does it say "P500". What it does say is "(P5)". P5 is an earlier designator used by some people out there to refer to an orginal Pentium class Intel processor (i.e Pentium I if you want to call it that). What BTS probably should do to make things clearer is just say Pentium 133Mhz processor w/ vidoe card, or Pentium 200Mhz processor without one.

"It also seems like you will need a 3D card to run this game, is that correct? (I don't have one, don't want to buy one)."

Your are correct here.

I'll appoligize in advance if I sound rather terse in my response here, but…………

It's high time for yourself and everyone else out there to step up to the plate and buy the hardware necessary to play high tech games like CM. Sure, they say you don't need one, but I think your going to find you do, or at least that you wished you had. The game will most likely play much better with one vs. w/o one. And they don't cost that much either (a TNT first generation board like a Diamond Viper 550 can be had for way under $100 now! Is it top of the line? No. Is it way better than not having a 3d card? YES!).

The reason I'm being terse is there seem to be a lot of people out there that don't want to buy one, but then turn around and slam BTS and other game companies because they think the graphics in the game don't look so great (not saying you did this, but there are those that have). Well friends and neighbors, if BTS wasn't having to play to the lowest common denominator, i.e people playing with machines like 166 Mhz Pentiums without video cards (that quite frankly should be dontated to your local preschool or church IMHO smile.gif ), then they could make what I believe would be some significant improvements to the game. Could they do everything that most people would like to see, probably not. But then, they could do more than what they can do now! Like Charles and Steve have said time and again, to really do things up "right" we are going to have to wait for machines and video cards to evolve another 3-5 years. Then we will have some real power. The kind that's needed to push millions, upon, millions, of polygons in the blink of any eye and truly give us what we all want.

Anyways, this is all just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Regards,

Mike D

Aka Mikester

[This message has been edited by Mike D (edited 08-25-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Kevin,

Actually, it says "P5". This is the first generation of Pentium chips. After that was the P6 (Pentium Pro), Pentium II, and Pentium III. MMX is an addon and Celerons generally are slower than a PII at the same clock speed. GENERALLY smile.gif

A 3D card is highly recommended. Not only does it dramatically speed up the frame rate, but it makes the graphics look MUCH better. While not required for the higher end (uhm, we haven't tested, but probably PII or faster) it will most certainly be required for the lower end (P5 family for the most part).

Glad we have your attention wink.gif

Steve