Red Thunder worth the money?

Hi guys

I just checked out Red Thunder and though it looks like a nice expansion. Well expansion my ass.. this thing costs 55$?

I mean I have checked out Combat Mission Shock Force before and judging by the content, nothing impressive or new has been added to justify that price?

Is the game worth the money?

What price? $55? Are you kidding me?

Yes, RT is worth $55. I expect to receive many hours of entertainment value out of RT, just like I did, and still do, from CMBN and CMFI, and modules. Many, many hours.

This isn't even mentioning the hundreds of hours of entertainment I received from CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK.

$55? LOL.

I tired to estimate the cost per hour of playing time for CMBN a year after I bought it. It came out to around 7 cents (US)/hour. Even with all the subsequent purchases...I bought all the CMx2 modules and games...it still has to be around that. I can't estimate the time I've spent on playing, modding, and generally screwing around with them, because that would probably be too depressing. Saint Peter at the Gates: you did what with all that free time we gave you?!?

I just bought and downloaded it yesterday and am playing through the tutorial campaign figuring it's a good way to get familiar with what's in there.

Answer: Yes, it is worth the money.

But then I've felt all CM titles have been well worth the money.

First off, I don't think you are giving CMSF its due. If you played it at the very beginning, yeah, there was a lot of stuff that needed fixing. By the time the NATO module and patches wrapped it up it was a stellar game. That being said, CMBN, FI, and now RT are waaaay beyond that. Much has been added and keeps getting added. Things have changed and for the better.

I look at CM as being broken up into 4 parts, playing, screwing around in the editor/testing, modding, and scenario designing. I utilize 75% of what CM offers, which means I do everything listed except design scenarios. No other game or game series or hobby has filled my time and given me the enjoyment CM has. For me it's always been a no-brainer.

Mord.

Funny I was thinking about this and realized almost all I do with CMFI right now is map making and it is still worth every cent. I hope to turn those maps into scenarios, but even if I don't I still am getting more than my money's worth.

My only CM complaint is I just don't have enough friggin time!

And I still roll out CMSF periodically despite it not having all the capabilities the post CMBN games do. Can't wait till CMSF gets re done.

Was in sattelite country working when CMRT was released. Too much work then and now. I just got notice all my new Hackintosh parts should be on the bench here next week! CMRT purchase(s) will commence after build and testing. I hope Apple gets their 10.9.3 graphic drivers out by then but no matter .. I will have an Evil OS in my new hot box :D

the game is definitly worth the mony, 55 USD ist not to much, i fr german and i have pay with shipping 69 Euros that not to much, other games need 60 Euros and more and are buggy pur.... we have here again a game with a very good graphic , physic etc. and i think a "minimum" bugs that bc with next patches fixed. The Editor is nice, we can here create a good KI and epic battles and campaignes. I have play hundred from hours CMBB and i think same is with RT :D

Hi guys

I just checked out Red Thunder and though it looks like a nice expansion. Well expansion my ass.. this thing costs 55$?

I mean I have checked out Combat Mission Shock Force before and judging by the content, nothing impressive or new has been added to justify that price?

Is the game worth the money?

All things being relative only you can really answer that question for yourself. Do some research. Don't listen to all these guys though, they're just spambots, part of BFS's very elaborate plan to troll wargaming nerds on the internet. No seriously.

-F

Compare the value to premium cable TV. $90 a month and the only show you really like watching (involving swords and boobs) only shows up 4 hours a month over just 4 months. :)

I don't know what it is like in your neck of the woods but I pay $90 for cable TV and I don't get any of the HBO or Starz stuff.

And you fell for it :D

As an aside, years ago we got rid of satellite TV (no cable possible) and went with Netflix DVDs. Saved a ton and were a lot happier with the outcome. Now we have streaming and it's even better. No wonder the cable industry is so dead set against "a la carte" programming. Who in their right mind would want to pay for 8 home shopping channels?

Only thing that sucks is the time I have to wait for new episodes of Psych! :D

Steve

Questions of relativity aside which don't appear to be the OP's concern (i.e. should I buy shoes for my kids or a computer game), the answer is a definitive YES, YES, YES. For me 'value' is more relevant than 'cheap' and this game has, and will have, tons of that moving forwards. And of course there will no doubt be a demo coming for those who want to try before they buy.

I am working away from home at the mo' and have no way of playing any CM except at the weekends and so I got a lot of hours in last weekend. Bliss. :P And as I left I kissed the wife goodbye but as I have not received the physical copy yet CM:RT has to suffice with a salute-like wave and a longing look at my screen. :eek: :D

As an aside, years ago we got rid of satellite TV (no cable possible) and went with Netflix DVDs. Saved a ton and were a lot happier with the outcome. Now we have streaming and it's even better. No wonder the cable industry is so dead set against "a la carte" programming. Who in their right mind would want to pay for 8 home shopping channels?

Only thing that sucks is the time I have to wait for new episodes of Psych! :D

Steve

Until the streaming services (and even general programming on cable) catches up with the US, I'll stick to illegally downloading the shows and then buying them when they come out and I have money (to ease my guilty concience). Here in Sweden we do have netflix... but they are woefully behind on everything.

Sons of anarchy, for example, is on season 3!

Hell, the basic cable is on season 5 already...

No, I'll download as long as they provide crappy service like that.

Hi guys

You are totally right, nothing's been added, in fact lots of things have been subtracted--just look at the Russian tanks--in CMSF we had T-80s, and in this game we get T34s, and 34 is MUCH less than 80! I mean, what's up with that?

And there no ATGMs and no satellite communications; I don't know why they took all the cool stuff out and replaced it with a bunch of crap? It is truly not an expansion but a subtraction!

I don't think this is the game you're looking for...

I haven't conducted a scientific test or anything, but I'm reasonably certain that, if it's your bag, CMx2 WWII, in any flavor, is the most cost-effective form of paid entertainment known to man.

(And yeah, DROP THE CABLE, baby! THAT is money not well spent. We do Hulu. The missus watches it all the time. Me? Well, aside from rewatching every episode of Columbo, I'm too busy playing CM!)

Only thing that sucks is the time I have to wait for new episodes of Psych!

pfffft we've got season 4 GoT started, what else do we need?

As for CM, It's the only one consistent series of games I've had on my PC since way back when CMBO was first released. I think the amount of entertainment I've received from the CM series far, far exceeds the money I've invested in it.

If you really need it, here's another vote for "worth the money". There's a lot of comparisons to money spent on other forms of entertainment, for good reason. My son spends much more on console games that are all played out after a couple weeks.

Aside from the value - cents per hour - there is the sheer entertainment of seeing the action unfold in WeGo mode. I choose my course of action, then it's out of my hands for 60 glorious seconds. What will happen? Will my ATR guy manage to sneak through the woods to take that Panther out from behind? I think I've cleared their armour on that flank, but have I sent the infantry forward and out of cover too soon?

It can be nail biting stuff with plenty of surprises thrown in, and that's just against the AI. "One more turn" soon becomes a whole evening spent. If you like WW2 tactical wargames then CMRT will float your boat.

If I could time-travel back to our times playing on sand tables with poorly painted 1/72 airfix models, plastic trees and cotton balls for smoke and explosions, and show guys this game I could get thousands for it :D