So does mark mines do anything?

I do not think that they have been cowering at all as they have two tanks beside them which have destroyed most of the opposition. They mainly stand or kneel not lying on the floor.

That does sound like conditions in which they should have a chance to see them. They have to be in an AS which is directly adjacent to one which contains mines. It may be that they are not, and you can move them onwards an AS and let them sit and look again. I say may be: I offer no guarantees :)

Is there a special command somewhere to get them to look for mines?

No, nothing like that. Troops with the title "Engineer" (or possibly similar, if there's variation in RT) in the troop status blurb at the bottom left of the screen have the best chance of spotting mines the "easy" way. Hopefully some of them have survived in the element you have "searching".

I've done some more testing (well, by playing the game*), and I noticed that sometimes, three squads of engineers will be able to walk up and down through a field, discovering mines as they pass over them, literally without one single casualty.

I had them walk in a scanning pattern, and sometimes I would check on them to see that they had discovered and left in their wake 2 or 3 mined squares, then sending them back to mark them.

Other times, they will keep stepping on them no matter what I do. Seems they had the same experience level, but I can't remember if some were sappers and some engineers?

Also, I wonder if the weather and ground conditions have any part to play?

*CMBN

Other times, they will keep stepping on them no matter what I do. Seems they had the same experience level, but I can't remember if some were sappers and some engineers?

Sappers and engineers are the same thing.