RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread

Final battle of On to Berlin.  Foolish defenders all cram into bunker that might as well have a "kill us" sign in neon letters, lots of those in this campaign.  These are OK until their AT neighbors go down.  Usual techniques, infantry moves to contact, armor edges up and starts area firing into the bunker area.

436XQQt.png

and the usual outcome

S7TvE36.png

sherman scores 3 hits on STUG from only ~300m but not enough to knock it out.  Side hit, lower front hit, partial penetration just next to driver's port.  STUG puts round through top of turret, killing commander.  Crew bails (but returned later).

1E5SJTM.png

fortunately STUG backs up and comes into flank fire from other sherman at ~400m.  Tough STUG, but not tough enough.

o4i5MBH.png

IhOITmF.png

Then some big boys show up late to the party but not before the dancing is done.

ve9udZG.png

and finally I finish the campaign!  Yay me!  Hard to read here but over 2000 enemy lost + 20 tanks.  I lost ~600 and 23 tanks.  Overall, EXCELLENT campaign.  Really had the kind of feel I'd expect from this phase of the war. 

CZ3mVMr.png

And now the big decision:  what's next?  Modern or WW2?  I think something a little smaller, but not sure yet.

3/167th Guards Rifle Regiment moves through the town of Osintorf. Enemy small arms fire has been pretty ineffective but they must have a whole battery of mortars somewhere on the map, one platoon has been chewed up pretty well and some more scattered casualties throughout the company, with 9th Company's commander even catching a bit of shrapnel. So far the Hammer's Flank campaign feels like I'm just bashing my head against a wall until I manage to break through the German lines, casualties be damned.CWE0njF.jpg

As much as I like the fact that troops are much more likely to stay in cover rather than route into the open, sometimes it really does border on ridiculousness.

co2bAMm.jpgInfantry platoon with attached recon squad move down the rail line towards the spotted mortar position. The enemy are almost impossible to hit with nothing but their heads peaking up over the embankment but an MG is providing a bit of suppressive fire.

0kbtfyS.jpgheRecon squad frags their position while a rifle squad provides covering fire, their throw is terrible and lands probably 10m behind the foxholes.xMJeL9c.jpgThey pay dearly for their mistake, one is shot and a minute later one of the German ammo bearers pops up and hoses the medic before he's forced back into hiding under a hail of fire.d5bJ4bM.pngEnough is enough, with an "URAAAA!", the recon team storms over the embankment and assaults the German mortar position, the battle is short but violent with the last of their PPSH ammo unloaded point blank into the defenders. unJiSxk.pngAnother squad of infantry goes over the top and frags and fires into the foxholes of the mortar section commander and his staff, they're all killed in their foxholes except one who tried to run and didn't make it more than a couple of steps. Finally, the mortars are silenced.

Wow, insane battle, 2 whole companies rendered combat ineffective and the third I just stopped advancing because I had no tank support left and would have had to charge across open ground into emplaced enemy guns. Having to use an almost entirely infantry force with no artillery support minus two batteries of mortars against heavily entrenched Germans with machine gun nests and a whole heap of artillery is really something else.G5YUXaE.png

Screenshot dump from one of the Fire and Rubble scenarios. Soviets get something like 900 men and a crapload of tanks in this one.

lnQTPd8.png

2YIFEQ6.png

Soviets are attacking a series of hills against dug-in Germans. I chose to mass my forces in multiple huge waves and attack the Germans head-on, going straight uphill. I made especially sure to keep my tanks massed together in one big group, advancing in close coordination with the infantry.

HuC2uCd.png

igLWOwR.png

As I expected, there were a lot of Germans deployed in reverse slope positions all over the place, but I was able to completely overrun them. Most of the Germans were not able to get more than a few shots off before they got blasted by overwhelming return fire from the masses of onrushing troops.

uOiWFb4.png

EC7hCYI.png

buVXiV3.png

There were some intense last stands from a few German troops here and there, but it was mostly a rout. This panzerschreck team fought to the death, taking out a tank at point blank range and gunning down several Soviet troops:

rAWEt43.png

I got lucky several times, like when this Stug got shot right down the middle of its gun barrel:

D8fACiY.png

The Soviet tide rushes on.

vIPkjw9.png

4RTJi1p.png

At times I was advancing so rapidly that I simply bypassed several enemy positions. Here you can see some Germans fire into the flanks of my advancing troops. They mostly had bolt-action rifles, which was pretty ineffective. Rifle fire nipping at the flanks of such a huge force felt like nothing more than mosquito bites and I just ignored them, heading straight for the objectives.

K4vwK50.png 

Whenever my force did halt, the amount of firepower they could deliver was devastating. The 152mm shells from the ISU-152s were especially devastating. I can only imagine how horrifying it would have been to have to sit in a foxhole and face down an attack like that in reality.

BVm0fdG.png

jtNm9oF.png

One of the highlights of the battle was when I had some men charge at a German AT gun, pinning down the crew with small arms and grenades for several minutes while I ran a flamethrower around the side to BBQ the survivors.

SNS1YQn.png

2Rx930w.png

d0ylD5n.png

The Germans totally collapsed, losing 363 men to my 108. I kinda want to try this again as the Germans just to see how I could stop such a powerful Soviet force. Seems like it would be difficult even against the AI. What I was most afraid of as the Soviets was artillery, but the German artillery was way off target and didn't do much. I would think good use of artillery would be essential for breaking up a massed attack like that.

3 minutes ago, Bozowans said:

Screenshot dump from one of the Fire and Rubble scenarios. Soviets get something like 900 men and a crapload of tanks in this one.

lnQTPd8.png

2YIFEQ6.png

Soviets are attacking a series of hills against dug-in Germans. I chose to mass my forces in multiple huge waves and attack the Germans head-on, going straight uphill. I made especially sure to keep my tanks massed together in one big group, advancing in close coordination with the infantry.

HuC2uCd.png

igLWOwR.png

As I expected, there were a lot of Germans deployed in reverse slope positions all over the place, but I was able to completely overrun them. Most of the Germans were not able to get more than a few shots off before they got blasted by overwhelming return fire from the masses of onrushing troops.

uOiWFb4.png

EC7hCYI.png

buVXiV3.png

There were some intense last stands from a few German troops here and there, but it was mostly a rout. This panzerschreck team fought to the death, taking out a tank at point blank range and gunning down several Soviet troops:

rAWEt43.png

I got lucky several times, like when this Stug got shot right down the middle of its gun barrel:

D8fACiY.png

vIPkjw9.png

4RTJi1p.png

At times I was advancing so rapidly that I simply bypassed several enemy positions. Here you can see some Germans fire into the flanks of my advancing troops. They mostly had bolt-action rifles, which was pretty ineffective. Rifle fire nipping at the flanks of such a huge force felt like nothing more than mosquito bites and I just ignored them, heading straight for the objectives.

K4vwK50.png 

Whenever my force did halt, the amount of firepower they could deliver was devastating. The 152mm shells from the ISU-152s were especially devastating. I can only imagine how horrifying it would have been to have to sit in a foxhole and face down an attack like that in reality.

BVm0fdG.png

jtNm9oF.png

One of the highlights of the battle was when I had some men charge at a German AT gun, pinning down the crew with small arms and grenades for several minutes while I ran a flamethrower around the side to BBQ the survivors.

SNS1YQn.png

2Rx930w.png

d0ylD5n.png

The Germans totally collapsed, losing 363 men to my 108. I kinda want to try this again as the Germans just to see how I could stop such a powerful Soviet force. Seems like it would be difficult even against the AI. What I was most afraid of as the Soviets was artillery, but the German artillery was way off target and didn't do much. I would think good use of artillery would be essential for breaking up a massed attack like that.

Awesome! I'll have to give this one a try at some point, it's scenarios like this that made me fall in love with these games. When that much firepower is being put out it's hard not to sit and marvel at the sheer insanity of it all.

MMM

10 minutes ago, Bozowans said:

lnQTPd8.png

2YIFEQ6.png

HuC2uCd.png

igLWOwR.png

uOiWFb4.png

EC7hCYI.png

buVXiV3.png

rAWEt43.png

D8fACiY.png

vIPkjw9.png

4RTJi1p.png

K4vwK50.png 

BVm0fdG.png

jtNm9oF.png

SNS1YQn.png

2Rx930w.png

d0ylD5n.png

Awesome! B)

Za Rodinu!  :D

7 hours ago, Bozowans said:

lnQTPd8.png

2YIFEQ6.png

HuC2uCd.png

igLWOwR.png

uOiWFb4.png

EC7hCYI.png

buVXiV3.png

rAWEt43.png

D8fACiY.png

vIPkjw9.png

4RTJi1p.png

K4vwK50.png 

BVm0fdG.png

jtNm9oF.png

SNS1YQn.png

2Rx930w.png

d0ylD5n.png

Mountains of the Moon is such a great scenario, really captures the incredible power of the Soviets. Your screenshots really capture the feel of the battle as well 👍

Thanks y'all. :D Yeah it was Mountains of the Moon. It captured the power of the late war Soviets alright. I liked zooming over to the German side to hear the roar of the oncoming engines getting closer and closer and then watching the Soviet wave slowly cresting into view. Really gives you that sense of dread.

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Advancing Finnish forces come upon a SU-152 on a forest trail.....Reacting swiftly, they swarm and surround it:

9nyhwSC.jpg

The ISU is quickly overwhelmed in a rain of grenades:

p75uTb8.jpg

The ISU crew find no mercy from the Finns:

BngPb3a.jpg

(Second Battle, Tali-Ihantala).

+1.  NICE!!!