RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread

An example of friction during combat...

This outside RAKOW. So backstory - so far my attack has pretty much rolled forward much as it did on the 11th August 1944. My advancing armour has come under fire from hidden AT guns. I've lost a few PzIVs to this fire but I've been IDing the hidden PAK. Two main nests have caught my attention and as yet there appears to be a hidden nest which is slowly exacting a toll on any panzer daft enough to let me order it forward. There was wee scrap on Hill 251 to clear off some pesky Russkies so I could establish a FO OP. This meant I could now bring my arty to bear but as I'd poor spots on the enemy PAK i thought I'd go for smoke so I could make a dash across the bridge and into town.

So...

2Ma840c.jpg PzIVs (part of one zug in overwatch) Smoke starting to fall from my arty.

5Lv6Zfc.jpg

My arty spotter OP on Hill 251- you can see the smoke starting to shroud the approach across the south bridge into RAKOW (ignore the burning PzIv on the distant far left. The end of a tentative Plan A...).

OCDf1hU.jpg

We're off! And the first panzer makes it across.

K9mYmMV.jpgInto RAKOW.

LCSZmpF.jpgThe rest of the zug follow close behind. No shots, save some grenades and rifle fire from defending Soviet infantry but the tanks are buttoned and moving at speed.

At this point my recce light SPW are now moving fast right behind, currently unbuttoned but they will be ordered now to button up.

WwxUpi6.jpg

At range and unbuttoned they are using area fire at some houses on their left flank. Smoke and dust shroud the right flank.

But... as I commit to charging across I start to notice some gaps appearing in my smoke screen. Not large gaps but crucially around the bridge...

Lt5Iyow.jpg

Then the smoke dramatically clears around the bridge. The lead SPW is hit at close range by what looks like a 45mm Pak firing from their right flank concealed amongst some hedges/bushes. It rolls on and comes to a rest. all the crew killed. Following behind at a 15s interval speeds the following SPW, who is also hit coming onto the bridge. This is when i realise there must be two as no way could a gun reload that fast... The third SPW crashes into the second, stalls and not long after is hit again killing all on board. Luckily the turn ends and I manage to stop the rest in the cover of some buildings a few hundred meters up the road. So now I have a platoon of PzIVs running about in RAKOW with no close infantry support. What could possibly go wrong...

My timing to move units into concealed positions to enable them to make a dash in took time. Meanwhile, I'd to lay a long enough smoke screen to cover the approach and protect from long range fire from multiple PAK nests. I had thought my overwatch had suppressed the enemy defenders, but these light PAK were keyholed and out of LOS/LOF of my overwatching panzers. Co-ordinating all those took a bit of time which meant my SPW were making their dash just as the smoke screen was starting to fade at key places. So poor combat recce and coordination on my part led to eighteen pixel grenadiers and their rides being taken out. Tough gig being a panzergrenadier in my command...

Edited by George MC
crap spelling

Thanks, @MOS:96B2P and @Warts 'n' all pleased youse enjoyed it. :)

The testing and write-up you did on C and C @MOS:96B2P in CM has revolutionised how I play, and for me, it has added a challenging and enjoyable layer where now as much of my fighting is ensuring I maintain good C and C between units.

In the above wee story, the one bit I omitted was the charging PzIVs had info about Soviet units defending based on intel my recce scouts had garnered and which had been shared via their company CO who was parked up in his command 250/3 next to the panzer company CO unbuttoned in his command tank. This meant they spotted the Soviets in their positions quicker and could suppress em.

Just no-one had clocked the concealed pair of 45mm PAK in the keyholed positions on the right...

3 minutes ago, George MC said:

for me, it has added a challenging and enjoyable layer where now as much of my fighting is ensuring I maintain good C and C between units.

the charging PzIVs had info about Soviet units defending based on intel my recce scouts had garnered and which had been shared via their company CO who was parked up in his command 250/3 next to the panzer company CO unbuttoned in his command tank.

Now that makes the story even more interesting. 

IMO the C2 part of the battle adds minor missions within the larger mission and makes the battles feel more authentic and interesting.  It's made me add alternative methods of C2 to my orders / unit tasking form that I maintain on a Word Document.

Example: On order 2nd Platoon will attack east into the town of Xxxx in order to support 1st platoon.  Alternative signal for 2nd Platoon's attack is a red flare.  Then when it is time for 2nd Platoon to attack and if 2nd Platoon is out of C2 the Company command team can pop smoke (simulating a flare).  2nd platoon can now attack.  If the backup plan for the flare was not included in the orders / unit tasking form on the Word document then the flare can't be used.  2nd platoon can't attack until C2 is established or a runner is used etc. 

Lots of cool things can be done by the player to add interest and immersion to the game.     

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, George MC said:

An example of friction during combat...

This outside RAKOW. So backstory ......  SNIP

Just opened the stock (I think) scenario 'Panzer Marsch!' at random, to test the new patch.....It doesn't look like what you are playing by any means, but apparently it's based on the same historical scenario?

@George MC remake? 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

My panzers and SPW still pinned down at the bridge outside RAKOW. So as someone once said there is no problem that cannot be solved by the application of more HE... or something like that!

u95PvwD.jpg

So that’s what I did. 

PhbNTOW.jpg

pwWzp21.jpg

and it worked. Pesky 45mm PAK KOd and Soviet infantry suppressed, routed or dead. The attack rolls on. Just got to watch out fir these other PAK off to my right flank. They keep sniping and taking out imprudently positioned armour. 

13 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just opened the stock (I think) scenario 'Panzer Marsch!' at random, to test the new patch.....It doesn't look like what you are playing by any means, but apparently it's based on the same historical scenario?

@George MC remake? 

This one I’m doing uses a map I created based on the actual terrain. It’s taken me two years! Although there was a six month break. Map is around 5km by 3km roughly. Is Panzer Marsh one of mine? I used the RAKOW situation as backstory for a Von Schroif mission but map was fictional. 

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Yeah, but wasn't that the Russians?  :unsure:

It sounds like a fairly Russian idea TBH.  ;)

Russians have massive pre-scheduled HE. Americans can sit in a ditch and bring HE down any time they want. Germans just pretend they're stronger than the others because they barely have available artillery that's heavier than an 81mm mortar most of the time.

And either way, if you're in a tank, no matter the nationality, you will always be glad to put another HE round into the target. And another. And another.

Edited by Frenchy56

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Now that's dedication!  ;)

Looking forward to seeing it.....Will it become available to the community in due course?

Aye it will be for sure. Still really early days yet as no AI plans at all etc. I don’t think it’ll be two years to release though! Not planning on having more kids!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...