Jump to content

RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An example of friction during combat... This outside RAKOW. So backstory - so far my attack has pretty much rolled forward much as it did on the 11th August 1944. My advancing armour has come und

The tank riding, no prisoner taking, one eyed, Forward Observer.    

First time defending in Berlin, with a company of regular infantry, backed up by a platoon of concrete & latest Stug III's, plus a cannon halftrack (SPW 251/22). Man, I love this map! Thank you so

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

This your new mission, MOS?   Looks exciting!

Nope :).   My new mission is in CMSF2.  (Tentatively named Coup de' tat) I created it as far as I could in CMSF1.  Now I'm just waiting on the release of CMSF2 so I can move the map over, add triggers, exit zones, water, bridge etc.  While I wait I'm just updating / practicing some TAC SOPs.  The above one was for a mounted assault drill and it looked cool so I took some screenshots. 

The big news for CMRT (besides the pending module) are rumors that @George MC is working on a new CMRT campaign.  Looking forward to said campaign!!          

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was looking through my old screenshots folder and couldn't remember if I had posted these anywhere.

An advancing Soviet rifleman stopped to take a shot with his Mosin at a German AT gun across the street.

v2hXVMs.jpg

 

The view from the gun:

Zr4Xaf5.jpg

 

The gun fired and the shell flew through the wooden fence, between the guy's legs, then through the front door of the house behind him, and then finally exploded against the opposite wall. The shell was flying mere inches from the ground.

8Cw2Gbk.jpg

CfFfPs9.jpg

6ohjBYe.jpg

 

That was one lucky bastard! The gun crew was not so lucky considering what happened to them a few moments later. I thought that was one of the more unusual shots I've seen in these games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, looking at all these screenies of RT glory got me to do some more tweaking of my color, gamma, and saturation profiles. To fully enjoy the great work of our talented modders one must tinker with a host of various monitor, graphics card, and post processor frag settings, all of which impact each other... At first I wanted to pull my hair out but focusing on the skin or flesh tone color as a visual base made it a bit easier. So I started there. Still tinkering with the Nvidia digital vibrance and gamma settings as I'm using a base RGB icm setting on the old AOC 2560 monitor. It has a rep for being a bit washed out in color display. Anyway, I think I may have finally gotten to a point of being satisfied with the results. Eye candy for all.

 

 

CM Red Thunder 2019-04-11 16-56-50-95.jpg

CM Red Thunder 2019-04-11 18-00-36-18.jpg

CM Red Thunder 2019-04-11 18-01-49-94.jpg

CM Red Thunder 2019-04-12 09-50-17-57.jpg

CM Red Thunder 2019-04-12 09-50-44-57.jpg

CM Red Thunder 2019-04-12 09-54-35-99.jpg

CM Red Thunder 2019-04-12 09-59-17-36.jpg

CM Red Thunder 2019-04-12 10-09-47-82.jpg

CM Red Thunder 2019-04-12 10-11-24-24.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

zf5IjAm.jpg

The village of RAKOW, Poland, around 40km SE of KIELCE. This is VILLAGE Z in the AAR report at this link: http://www.allworldwars.com/Small-Unit-Actions-During-German-Campaign-in-Russia.html#2212

GF5okhL.jpg

The map above (kindly sourced by Hugh Davie from Soviet AARs) shows the general dispositions of the Soviet forces in this area during August (RAKOW = PAKYB). The German attack came in from the west along the line of HILL 251.3

TQvD6ZK.jpg

View from HILL 25.3 looking east towards RAKOW.

The context of this AAR is the German effort to reduce/eliminate the Soviets Baranow bridgehead in Poland during early August 1944.

I should note whilst I was researching this action, whilst this AAR appears super detailed a significant number of key facts are incorrect - unit make up, commanders, and Soviet opposition. The same action is described in the book 'Armoured Bears' on page 240-241 and whilst having slightly less detail, more or less ties in with the actual German OOB (and listed commanders) and TOE at the time, although again its vague as to the Soviet opposition. I also have access to Soviet AAR reports (which Hugh Davie who used to haunt these forums very kindly translated for me) and they provide an intriguing ins-sight into the fighting in this area. Whilst they confirm a German attack, and the numbers of tanks and light SPW involved are 'broadly' consistent with the size of the German kampfgruppe involved, they diverge on other details such as German losses, the actual direction and the objectives of the attack. All in all though none of the sources dove tail perfectly!! Still, they all agree that Soviet artillery eventually stalled the attack from moving beyond the outskirts of RAKOW.

J9YtJYa.jpg

German Panzer IVs moving up in the early dawn.

vTbV5Pi.jpg

Approaching RAKOW and taking fire.

5whL4UD.jpg"Three German tanks were immediately disabled, one of them catching fire. Hauptmann Zobel (commander of the 8/II/Pz.Rgt 6) ordered the two platoons to withdraw."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Classy mapping as ever @George MC.....Might we be seeing this soon? 

PS - One of the latter accounts in the linked article makes a great case for the return of real fire in CM:

Quote

After making an air reconnaissance earlier in the day, the Russians sent over low-flying planes, singly and in group formation, to attack assembly areas, approach roads, and Ulla. Suddenly fire broke out in the town. This presented a grave danger, since the houses were built mostly of wood, peat, and straw. The destruction of Ulla left the Germans exposed to full observation. Moreover—and this was particularly inconvenient from an engineer's point of view—the only readily available construction lumber had gone up in smoke, and wood would have to be hauled over long distances. During the fire the German covering forces on the outskirts of the town were threatened and could remain in place only because the northwest wind kept the flames away from the river. However, the town was impassable for several hours, a factor that delayed the arrival of the bridge columns.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @Sgt.Squarehead :)

Still, early days as just finished the map and initial deployments. No AI plans as yet - just running through playing as germans to see how the terrain and initial Soviet deployment influences things. I'll then tweak the Soviet deployment and start creating an AI plan accordingly. My scenario creation timelines are a bit glacial just now due to family and work commitments.

One of the gratifying things about doing this one is I pretty much achieved the initial Soviet response to the German attack with two panzers KO'd and one burning. Pretty much as the AAR recounts. I was weirdly chuffed with that!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Look forward to seeing the finished item.  B)

I'm enjoying a couple of the articles on that page.....Just wish we had some early war forces and some better fortifications (More complex modular bunkers maybe?) to model them with.

PS - The Brandenburger SMS Company is particularly appealing.....German Uncons on the Ostfront, what's not to like!  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, George MC said:

Still, early days as just finished the map and initial deployments. No AI plans as yet - just running through playing as germans to see how the terrain and initial Soviet deployment influences things. I'll then tweak the Soviet deployment and start creating an AI plan accordingly. 

+1  Very interesting.  Looking forward to this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:32 AM, bweiss said:

Wow, looking at all these screenies of RT glory got me to do some more tweaking of my color, gamma, and saturation profiles. To fully enjoy the great work of our talented modders one must tinker with a host of various monitor, graphics card, and post processor frag settings, all of which impact each other... At first I wanted to pull my hair out but focusing on the skin or flesh tone color as a visual base made it a bit easier. So I started there. Still tinkering with the Nvidia digital vibrance and gamma settings as I'm using a base RGB icm setting on the old AOC 2560 monitor. It has a rep for being a bit washed out in color display. Anyway, I think I may have finally gotten to a point of being satisfied with the results. Eye candy for all.

CM Red Thunder 2019-04-12 09-50-17-57.jpg

 

My biggest take away... I want to use that wall in CMSF 2... does my bias show.  :P  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, George MC said:

I should note whilst I was researching this action, whilst this AAR appears super detailed a significant number of key facts are incorrect - unit make up, commanders, and Soviet opposition. The same action is described in the book 'Armoured Bears' on page 240-241 and whilst having slightly less detail, more or less ties in with the actual German OOB (and listed commanders) and TOE at the time, although again its vague as to the Soviet opposition. I also have access to Soviet AAR reports (which Hugh Davie who used to haunt these forums very kindly translated for me) and they provide an intriguing ins-sight into the fighting in this area. Whilst they confirm a German attack, and the numbers of tanks and light SPW involved are 'broadly' consistent with the size of the German kampfgruppe involved, they diverge on other details such as German losses, the actual direction and the objectives of the attack. All in all though none of the sources dove tail perfectly!! Still, they all agree that Soviet artillery eventually stalled the attack from moving beyond the outskirts of RAKOW.

Outright contradictions are not that uncommon when comparing descriptions of the same engagement from both sides. I remember reading about one example from the Ardennes offensive. The American AAR was basically "we were attached by a German force but held our line and drove them off."

The German version of the same events was "we advanced, broke through the US resistance and proceeded on to our objective." It is hard to reconcile those at first glance: you wouldn't really expect there to be any disagreement about whether the US defensive line was breached or not.

The author of the book big some more digging to resolve the issue. It boiled down to neither side understanding where the other side's lines were. IIRC the US forces had repositioned some days earlier to shorten their lines, with the effect of leaving a no man's land between the forces that neither side was aware of: both regarded it as event held terrain. The German mission was to break through in to this territory. Their advance brought them obliquely in to contact with the US line. So naturally they engaged where necessary and continued to advance where there was no resistance. On the map, they kind of 'bounced' off the US line, changing their line of advance a little which took them away from the MLR again and back in to no man's land. They interpreted this as breaking through a thinly held line in to the enemy rear.

For the US forces obviously this looked like Germans engaging their line and then pulling back  without achieving anything, not realising that this was more a case of the Germans passing by close in front of them rather than trying to penetrate the line the US was actually holding (because the German movement wouldn't make any sense if the Germans correctly knew the US line).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...