1.0.3 Belgium

Belgium joining allies if Germans attack Holland is a good idea. However, I think it will have quite significant effects on gameplay. Holland is an early grab during the limited weather breaks in late fall, winter, 39-40. Seems unlikely that both Low Countries will now be grabbed successfully during that time period. So that means a better forward line for Allies if this Axis gambit is attempted.

The net outcome therefore I believe will be much historical timelines to the fall of France. all to the good, but my point is that I think the implications of this are very large in terms of effecting Axis success if AFrica or USSR.

Do others agree?

Hi again lhugues41 :) ,

- Sorry for the late reply but in my opinion that was all the point of the change: there is no way Belgium would do nothing after a german invasion of Holland (especially after what happened in WWI).

- So it's better from an historical point of view but I also think it balances a bit the early game in favor of Allies as most players used to transfer panzers to the West before the end of Poland's campaign.

- Now Germans will need more forces but a 1939 gamble is still possible (but you'll need to spend MPPs to operate units) since you only need to grab the two capitals after all. It also gives a bit more incentive/time to send UK help to France.

- The effect on USSR is nearly nothing when most Axis players pour everything in industry/tanks/Barbarossa anyway so a 5-6 turns difference won't change much summer 41 order of battle.

- As for Africa it's just a death trap for Axis anyway unless you plan to support Italians from the start (or UK don't do anything there). Any RN concentration in the Med with all carriers is enough to clear the way to Tunisia by the end of 41 if not before.

- Overall I think it makes early game a bit more exciting for Allies because the usual Holland grab between a turn of snow and one of mud in the middle of winter was just a bit too much (what about the "Drôle de Guerre"?).

- One last thing is that Belgium doesn't join Holland right away. It will join on Allies turn so Germany actually have to Dow to attack which is nice. You can still go only for Holland but Allies will have a chance to advance in Belgium which can be good or bad (historical move didn't work so well there :D).

- I suspect many players will continue to hole up in Paris for a while even if Germans give them a chance to advance in Belgium but it makes for more options and bold strategies on both sides instead of the usual french border massacre followed by a siege of Paris ^^ .

THanks for replying so thoroughly. I was getting depressed that the forums seemed dead. I actually have combat experience now with Belgium from my ladder mirroring with Dalibor

Unfortunately I took the rule change as too important with devestating consequences:

-- me as axis -- instead of doing the standard winter run through the lowlands (as per above) I waited till May...ugh.. took me till October to conquer France. Felt like a newbie.

-- me as allies -- my opponent did not respect the importance of the new rule ;-) and did standard holland during a weather lull. I cleverly rushed into Belgium (I thought). Consequence: lost a lost of unentrenched allied units early in the campaign. I am looking now at probably a May or June surrender:-(

So I have come to same conclusion as you say above: that while the rule is sensible, it probably doesn't really change the ahistorical "winter rush." Unfortunately I am likely to lose both games now with that the too late/too early french campaigns. Wish you'd posted earlier!! ;-)