Hi there,

in the "some thoughts about naval warfare thread" did I write about the town of Scutari (see point 2. in this thread "shelling of towns...). It's the turkish town of scutari (near Istanbul) I talk about and not the albanian one with the same name.

As I wrote there is a simple trick for the russian fleet, to make a huge damage on the turkish war efforts by shelling scutari. Scutari is on the rail from Istanbul to anatolia and further palestine etc. By damaging Scutari one (!) step there is not just the possibility to operate troops from the european part of turkey to the asian part gone, but also every city - linked with that railroad has just a supply level of 5 (normally i Think it`s 8) and is producing less mpp. If you have in mind, that there are many cities on this railroad, especially in Syria/lebanon/palestine, you will see, that the effect of this reduction is quite massive. The supply-effect is even worse, because you have to fight against the superior british troops in palestine and there is a great difference between having a HQ with supply-level ten or a HQ with supply level eight (especially when you have in mind that there are many hills in that area which cost more supply/Tile than in plains).

I knew this effect before but just from completely cutted rails (by landing troops) not from shelling a town on the rails. As an effect of cutted rails by landed troops it is quite realistic. As an effect of town shelling it is too heavy (my opinion). If you land troops to do something like that you have to pay a realistic prize (The cost of an amhibious landing, the risk of a failure and the risk - even if it succeeds - to loose this unit rapidly and out of supply). If you shell scutari instead you risk nearly nothing. OK, you may loose some steps of your battleships (if you are unlucky, the risk is not very high). But that is worth the result. You can soon have a clearly superior navy in the black sea as the russian and there is nearly nothing the Ottoman empire can do against this fact and as a result nothing it can do against shelling scutari. With the small income of turkey and the demands from other fronts (caucasus, palestine, Bagdad, maybe Gallipoli or other attepmts of amphibious assualts) it will not be able to reinforce its ships immedeatly not to mention buying new ships in a time, it could help.

So Bill, Hubert. If you don't wanna change the naval warfare in all (as i suggested), please do some changes at this little point. My proposal: Remove the town of scutari. This would be the most simple change to prevent the problem without causing some serious inbalance...

Furchtlosundtrew

Thanks, I'll take a look to see what can be done. The funny thing is that neither myself nor any of my opponents have ever noticed (or more importantly, taken advantage of) the Ottoman vulnerability here. Maybe we've been too gentleman-like in our warfare! ;)

Bill