Vehicle spots without crew

While playing a CMBN 2.12 MG scenario I noticed something that looks like a bug to me. I had driven a Jeep to a place on map and then told the crew to leave the vehicle and continue on foot. While watching the turn movie I clicked the Jeep after crew had left it and become a separate unit (same turn though). When the Jeep was the selected unit I could see some enemy units that it could "see".

Shouldn't vehicles spot only when they have crew?

No, not only to the Jeep. But for example the Jeep could spot an enemy tank that really was beyond LOS. The Jeep crew near the Jeep couldn't spot the tank (which was correct IMO). And the tank couldn't spot the Jeep or its crew.

I'm sorry, the point's not getting through.

If the "enemy tank" really was beyond LOS for all units except the empty jeep, then something odd is going on. If that tank was visible to any other unit, then there's nothing to see here.

Your statement isn't clear, either there were units spotted only by the jeep, or there weren't. You start by saying not, then say there was a unit beyond LOS: LOS of what?

If the "enemy tank" really was beyond LOS for all units except the empty jeep, then something odd is going on. If that tank was visible to any other unit, then there's nothing to see here.

Your statement isn't clear, either there were units spotted only by the jeep, or there weren't. You start by saying not, then say there was a unit beyond LOS: LOS of what?

If you re-read my opening post, there was NOTHING about units that only my Jeep could see. The point was this "Shouldn't vehicles spot only when they have crew?". So when I select such vehicle, NO ENEMY UNITS should be highlighted, becase the vehicle has no crew that can do spotting. Maybe modern vehicles can have TV-cameras etc. that can do spotting without human help, but AFAIK those were not available when CMBN battles took place.

When you select some unit on map, other units that this selected unit can see are highlighted. That's what happens when I select this Jeep. A tank that shouldn't be visible where my Jeep is, is highlighted. So 2 problems here: highlighting a unit that my selected Jeep cannot see AND even if it was visible it shouldn't be spotted by a vehicle without crew.

Is this so? (my bold bit above)

The OP does say "When the Jeep was the selected unit I could see some enemy units that it could "see"."

I thought that, when the (empty?) Jeep is selected, if it has no spotting powers then ALL enemy units should (?) disappear from view, as it - the active unit - cannot by definition see any of them?

Perhaps a unit (Spotter, HQ) has been dismounted from the Jeep, but there is still a driver: HE could be spotting the tank????

The point was this "Shouldn't vehicles spot only when they have crew?".

Correct empty vehicles should not spot anything.

So when I select such vehicle, NO ENEMY UNITS should be highlighted,

This could be an erroneous assumption. The thing is if you have no units selected then you "see" what the sum total of all of your units see. It could be that the game goes into that same mode when you have an empty vehicle selected. You will need to check but that would explain things.

I am not in front of the game and have no empty vehicles anyway so I cannot test. So, try what c3k said and select the enemy tank and see what units are highlighted. And then compare what you see when you have nothing selected to what you see when you have the empty vehicle selected.

If you select the enemy tank, is the jeep highlighted? Is any other friendly unit highlighted?

Is this wego?

What is the difficulty level?

No, the Jeep is not highlighted. Some of my other units are highlighted when I select this tank. It's a PBEM game, cannot remember difficulty level.

I checked and it seems when selecting a vehicle without crew, things work the same way as if NO unit was selected. Not the way I'd do this, but I guess it's the logical reason for what happens in this case. Thanks Ian.Leslie.