OSX Mavericks 10.9.2 update issues !!

Hello everyone... :)

If you're not an Apple Mac user of CMBN(CW) 2.12, then go play the game or read something else... :P

If you are an Apple Mac user and you've performed the recent Apple Mavericks OSX update to 10.9.2, you may encounter "crash to desktop" issues when loading a new (or saved current) CMBN 2.12 game.

It appears that Apple screwed something up with this latest update with how OSX uses the often found dual graphics chip-sets in their hardware.

I have a fairly new MacBook Pro which uses dual graphics chips. The integrated (built-in) Intel HD Graphics 4000 chip and also a PCIe bus NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M chip set. The latter is for high performance graphics and you can switch back and forth between the two chips.

The problem is that Apple broke the use of the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M chip set (and probably others) with their latest OSX 10.9.2 update, as to how it is used by programs such as CMBN 2.12.

The symptom is easily identified. Well it was easy to identify with the Phil's help of BFC. :D

Using the higher performance graphics chip, if you try to load any scenario size larger than small, the loading crashes at somewhere in my case, between 15% and 40%. It simply clears the loading screen and returns to the desktop without warning, although some users might see kernel panics.

If you load small scenarios or saved games, everything works fine.

There are fixes coming, but in the meantime, there is a workaround for those of you needing to continue playing medium, large and huge scenario maps. Run CMBN using the your Apple Mac's internal (built-in) graphics chip ONLY. In my specific case, that means until there's a fix, I need to force my CMBN 2.12 games that are based upon medium, large and huge scenario maps, to use my Intel HD Graphics 4000 chip ONLY, albeit the game will run slower and graphics peformance will take a hit. So, lower your in-game graphics options to help that.

If any matches are based upon small scenarios, than I can continue to use my more powerful PCIe bus NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M chip set.

Because I'm running a MacBook Pro, it's pretty easy for me to switch back and forth, or force the use of one graphics chip over another, because I use a free (PayPal Donate Option) little utility called gfxCardStatus that runs on my top app bar.

gfxCardStatus (click here)

OS X Lion (10.7) or newer

2008-2012, 15-17" dual-GPU MacBook Pro

Anyway, thanks to Phil for helping me diagnose this and I hope this post helps other Apple Mac OSX users, who may or may not be experiencing problems with this latest OSX 10.9.2 update....

Regards,

Doug

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Using the higher performance graphics chip, if you try to load any scenario size larger than small, the loading crashes at somewhere in my case, between 15% and 40%."

Thanks BadgerDog. Same here.

On my Mac Pro...

Processor 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 18 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4096 MB

DELL U2713HM Display

Apple latest OSX 10.9.2 update :roll eyes:

A consistent 36% loading bar crash to desktop on my Mac for CMBN/CW/MG and CMFI/GL.

My CMSF Mac Bundle simply freezes and I must "force quit" 36% loading bar.

Small scenarios work but that is about it. Can not safely roll back to 10.9.1 due to the security fault there.

Put in Help Desk Ticket and got prompt reply. Phil should not have to work around Apple's graphically challenged update. I hope Apple fixes their latest OSX 10.9.2 update soon as CMRT is soon to be ready for prime time.

Very grateful to you guys for picking this up - I was half way through installing 10.9.2 - now turned mac off to quit!

What's the fix for this in the future?

Excellent ... stay with 10.9.1, particularly if you're a heavy and passionate CMBN player. :D

I'm stuck after the complete install of 10.9.2 for now, until Apple produces a patch, or BFC are able to create a workaround ...

I'm using the gfxCardStatus program I mentioned earlier, to switch to my internal (slower) graphics chip for all saved games and new matches that are medium size and above. I still run my high performance GT650 graphics chip for any matches that are small size ...

Regards,

Doug

I've just replaced a MacBook Air with a Macbook Pro. The Air ran CMSF without any problems. I can't get CMSF to load at all on the Pro, either from the backup or from a new download.

The error code says "Error: errorCode. errorMessage Please contact your vendor for assistance."

The new Mac is 2.8Ghz i7. Graphics Intel Iris 1024 MB

I've just replaced a MacBook Air with a Macbook Pro. The Air ran CMSF without any problems. I can't get CMSF to load at all on the Pro, either from the backup or from a new download.

The error code says "Error: errorCode. errorMessage Please contact your vendor for assistance."

The new Mac is 2.8Ghz i7. Graphics Intel Iris 1024 MB

I may be wrong, but I think that's a licensing problem because you switched platforms to a new computer. Contact tech support and I think they can fix you up quick.. :)

Regards,

Doug

The issue I've experienced and confirmed by BFC is OSX 10.9.2 with CMBN(CW) 2.12...

Several months ago, after installing 2.12 I noticed a particularly irritating problem with one of the controls. Despite asking for help and receiving many suggestions, the problem continued. As a result, I haven't played BN for months. :( It is possible that the problem originated with a corrupted copy of 2.12 and could be fixed by deleting all of BN+modules and starting from scratch and with hopefully a clean copy of 2.12, but that is a hassle I have not wanted to jump into as yet. :(:( I had hopes that someone at BFC might come up with a way to delete only the corrupted code, but as I seem to be the only one who has experienced this particular problem, it would no doubt entail too much work for too little reward.

Michael

You guys are getting way further than I am. After installing 10.9.2 today (before checking the forums, unfortunately! :o ) I can't even start the game. I get an OS X error dump instead.

Doesn't sound like it's the same problem, but it's a showstopper!

Everything was fine prior to the 10.9.2 update.

Process:         CMBN [965]

Path:            /Applications/CM Battle for Normandy/CM Battle for Normandy.app/Contents/MacOS/CMBN

Identifier:      com.battlefront.CMBN

Version:         ???

Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [199]

Responsible:     CMBN [965]

User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2014-02-28 15:09:58.448 -0800

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

Report Version:  11

Anonymous UUID:  7777AA29-4CA4-1689-1526-89DF6E7F6BF2

Crashed Thread:  0

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: @executable_path/CMBN.ldr

Referenced from: /Applications/CM Battle for Normandy/CM Battle for Normandy.app/Contents/MacOS/CMBN

Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:

/Applications/CM Battle for Normandy/CM Battle for Normandy.app/Contents/MacOS/CMBN.ldr: malformed mach-o image: wrong LC_SEGMENT[_64] for architecture

/Applications/CM Battle for Normandy/CM Battle for Normandy.app/Contents/MacOS/CMBN.ldr: malformed mach-o image: wrong LC_SEGMENT[_64] for architecture

Binary Images:

0x7fff608f9000 -     0x7fff6092c817  dyld (239.4) <2B17750C-ED1B-3060-B64E-21897D08B28B> /usr/lib/dyld

0x7fff8ac07000 -     0x7fff8ac15fff  com.apple.opengl (9.6.0 - 9.6.0) <709F4A02-73A0-303C-86B5-85C596C8B707> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL

0x7fff8ac4a000 -     0x7fff8ac6fff7  com.apple.CoreVideo (1.8 - 117.2) <4674339E-26D0-35FA-9958-422832B39B12> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CoreVideo

0x7fff8afd8000 -     0x7fff8b2d6fff  com.apple.Foundation (6.9 - 1056.13) <2EE9AB07-3EA0-37D3-B407-4A520F2CB497> /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation

0x7fff8d353000 -     0x7fff8dec9fff  com.apple.AppKit (6.9 - 1265.19) <12647F2F-3FE2-3D77-B3F0-33EFAFF2CEA7> /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit

0x7fff8e1c9000 -     0x7fff8e217ff9  libstdc++.6.dylib (60) <0241E6A4-1368-33BE-950B-D0A175C41F54> /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib

0x7fff8e218000 -     0x7fff8e218fff  com.apple.ApplicationServices (48 - 48) <3E3F01A8-314D-378F-835E-9CC4F8820031> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices

0x7fff8ecc1000 -     0x7fff8ee6ef27  libobjc.A.dylib (551.1) <AD7FD984-271E-30F4-A361-6B20319EC73B> /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib

0x7fff91a4a000 -     0x7fff91c2ffff  com.apple.CoreFoundation (6.9 - 855.14) <617B8A7B-FAB2-3271-A09B-C542E351C532> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

0x7fff92b86000 -     0x7fff92b86fff  com.apple.Cocoa (6.8 - 20) <E90E99D7-A425-3301-A025-D9E0CD11918E> /System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa

0x7fff9646c000 -     0x7fff9646dff7  libSystem.B.dylib (1197.1.1) <5292BF21-9406-32D5-8BB3-7DD02C672FA0> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Model: Macmini3,1, BootROM MM31.00AD.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.35f1

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400, NVIDIA GeForce 9400, PCI, 256 MB

Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 2 GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz, 0x859B, 0x435432353636344243313036372E4D384644

Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 2 GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz, 0x802C, 0x384A53463235363634485A2D314731443120

AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x90), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.16)

Bluetooth: Version 4.2.3f10 13477, 3 services, 23 devices, 1 incoming serial ports

Network Service: Ethernet, Ethernet, en0

Serial ATA Device: WDC WD2500BEKT-75A25T0, 250.06 GB

Serial ATA Device: OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5670S

USB Device: USB to Serial-ATA bridge

USB Device: Iomega eGo HDD

USB Device: Expansion

USB Device: IR Receiver

USB Device: Microsoft Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel

USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub

USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

USB Device: Dell USB Keyboard

Thunderbolt Bus: 

Have not tried it but a roll back to 10.9.1 might make CM playable. I won't due to this as the 10.9.1 security fault is serious IMO.

Maybe Apple will make a patch soon but don't hold your breath.

At some point Apple will make another update and maybe fixe the graphics drivers they borked.

Battlefront is NOT at fault here.

Apple is the business responsible to fix there graphics driver screw up.

I agree--rollback is not a good idea. I sent in the crash report to Apple also, for all the good it will do.

However, I'm not sure that there aren't two different problems here, and I'm not sure they're both graphics-related or would require an Apple update. I'm no coder, but I get the idea from the crash log that there is a mis-linked or wrong version of a library somewhere. It might be possible to perform a more limited rollback or file update to fix it.

Good to send crash report to Apple. What good it will do... but the correct process. Thank you ishmog.

I hope you can work a limited rollback / file update to fix Apples mistake(s) ...graphics-related.. and or ...mis-linked or wrong version of a library somewhere. I am working on my Hackintosh parts list in my spare time ;)

Michael Emrys... A while back you noted interest in a Hackintosh build. When I get mine going I will email you the results if you would like.

kensal, Consider the risk.... to play CM on a Mac?

http://www.zdnet.com/major-apple-security-flaw-patch-issued-users-open-to-mitm-attacks-7000026624/

Okay, well, I fixed my problem... although that's just opened up a whole new universe of problems!

For me, the fix (at least to the original issue) was as simple as reinstalling the 1.11 patch. The game starts now.

Unfortunately, something else is badly screwed up, and I can't even begin to figure this one out. First, post-patch, the game keeps thinking its in demo mode and asking me to enter the serial for Commonwealth... although I have never had Commonwealth, and the patch is supposed to work on the vanilla CMBN version. But if I click "Play Now" it at least gets past that screen (although I have to do it every time I try to start the game) and into CMBN.

But there, unfortunately, when I get into a scenario, I can only hear the background sounds... environmental, ricochets, etc. Guns firing, nada. Explosions, nope. Very odd.... very similar to what this guy reports: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=101315

Except I'm not on Windows XP and his solution (uninstalling and rebooting) hasn't worked for me. But I don't think it's Apple anymore, the activation weirdness seems to indicate a deeper problem with the game. So I'm going to ticket it and hope for the best.

Good luck with the video issues!

Several months ago, after installing 2.12 I noticed a particularly irritating problem with one of the controls. Despite asking for help and receiving many suggestions, the problem continued. As a result, I haven't played BN for months. :( It is possible that the problem originated with a corrupted copy of 2.12 and could be fixed by deleting all of BN+modules and starting from scratch and with hopefully a clean copy of 2.12, but that is a hassle I have not wanted to jump into as yet. :(:( I had hopes that someone at BFC might come up with a way to delete only the corrupted code, but as I seem to be the only one who has experienced this particular problem, it would no doubt entail too much work for too little reward.

Michael

Michael,

I assume from this that you never got your vertical panning keyboard (arrow key) control issue sorted?

It seems such a pain / shame that you don't play BN any more because of this: can I not persuade you to try mouse control?

I get that you have a favourite / learned other control method that you prefer; and also (I guess) the point of principle that you shouldn't have to change because of this.

But, I use a (Apple, Magic) mouse for my Macbook running of CM, and view control using this is a breeze, really.

If you right-click and hold, the two mouse movement axes control horizontal and vertical panning around a fixed point. Finger scrolling on the mouse mini trackpad (or, I guess, mouse wheel if yours has one) controls vertical camera movement, and doing a left click and hold moves the camera horizontally along the two mouse movement axes. All harder to type out than do - it is a very flexible and intuitive arrangement, that soon becomes natural to get any view I ever need.

(Combines well with a "other hand" press of the spacebar, to bring up the floating unit orders interface, which you can then select with the mouse over the map view.)

Try it, and recapture the joys of CMBN?????

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I noticed that Nvidia has released new graphics drivers for 10.9.2 Mavericks which might be intended to deal with the problems identified on this thread. if you search on this it should take you to the right place: NVIDIA-Releases-New-Graphics-Drivers-for-OS-X-Mavrericks-10-9-2

Hi all

I noticed that Nvidia has released new graphics drivers for 10.9.2 Mavericks which might be intended to deal with the problems identified on this thread. if you search on this it should take you to the right place: NVIDIA-Releases-New-Graphics-Drivers-for-OS-X-Mavrericks-10-9-2

Thanks, but I'm not sure they're for my GT650M based MacBook Pro running Mavericks. It says 600 series, but... hmmm...

Description says..

GeForce 600 series: GTX 680 for Mac, GeForce 200 series: GTX 285 for Mac, GeForce 100 series: GT 120, GeForce 8 series: 8800 GT, Quadro series: K5000 for Mac, 4000 for Mac, and Quadro FX series: FX 5600, FX 4800 for Mac.

Regards,

Doug

Hi all

Thanks for the heads up. I tried the Nvidia released new graphics drivers for 10.9.2 Mavericks on my Mac Pro a few weeks ago. They do not work for me. I suspect Apple will eventually get around to some driver fix in 10.9.3 update but when?

I am "in country" now but have an empty mackintosh case waiting for my return to the city. A parts order will follow :D

Another Apple stunt... ugh ... business decision.

Apple Drops Windows 7 Boot Camp Support in New Mac Pro

"As of this month, Windows 8 and 8.1 only represented 10.68 percent of total worldwide OS market share, while Windows 7 represented 47.31 percent. Combined, Windows is installed on 90.84 percent of the world's computers."

I have the same issue, CMBN and CMFI, on loading a scenario greater than one hour approx the game crashes to the desktop at 36%.

I have OSX 9.1.2 - 3.4 i5 - 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - nVidia GTX670

I have been running both CMBN and CMFI flawlessly with graphics maxed out.

I think that the 9.1.2 update may be the problem as I have been working through all the scenarios in "size" ascending order. Historically, before Mavericks this Non Standard Rig has loaded large scenarios successfully, but my preference has been for small to medium.

David

More like Apple strikes again.

"...loading a scenario greater than one hour approx the game crashes to the desktop at 36%."

Pretty much the same issue here. They "should" be out soon with OSX 10.9.3 - Mavericks to fix their graphics driver problem ... at least I hope so.

I have a MacBook Pro (MacBookPro11,3), and I transferred my programs from a Time Machine backup, including CMBN v. 212, which does not start and simply prompts a window with the message:

Error: errorCode

errorMessage Please contact your vendor for assistance.

Do I have to license it before using?

Thank you in advance, Luca

I am wondering:

1. is this an nVidia card issue, or common to all cards?

2. How much hard memory does the game need to load a scenario? I have 8 GB but notice that the OS alone sometimes reaches 6 GB according to the "Activity Monitor". Would this issue be resolved by adding, say another 8 GB?

David

Archived