About quick battles

Whiterider

The plan is, AIUI, for all these and future improvements to be offered as an upgrade to the previous x2 games, at least CMBN and any families published since.

Great! For sure, more people will feel attracted to QB (and CM) than never before. Single-player quick battles are an excellent tool for training, specially because every game is different and there are lots of surprises you won´t find playing common scenarios; also the game is faster cos you don´t need to depend on someone to play. Basically those are the reasons why I love them.

The plan is, AIUI, for all these and future improvements to be offered as an upgrade to the previous x2 games, at least CMBN and any families published since.

Great! For sure, more people will feel attracted to QB (and CM) than never before.

We should keep in mind that even after CMBN gets the AI trigger feature that will *not* automatically change the QB maps and AI plans that shipped with the game to use said triggers. To get the full advantage someone would have to modify the QB map's AI plans. Unless BFC (aka Mark) does this as part of the upgrade - hint hint :D

Great suggestion, which reminds me - There's something I've been working on for a while now: I set up a QB and choose all the forces. I then duplicate this, and vary the AI forces slightly. After I've got 3 or 4 QBs I put them into a folder, and have a script which randomly plucks one, and copies it with a new name into my scenarios folder/directory.

That sounds brilliant.

You are all making important comments. I can assure you that BFC is very focused on improving our QB gaming experience. I need to disengage myself from the discussion for two reasons. The first is NDA (what I can I say when I cannot say!) Second...and more important to QB Players.... I really need to be making the best possible maps I can... AND more of them...not talking about them. So it's back to the QB Map Factory! Thanks for your support and ideas!

Great suggestion, which reminds me - There's something I've been working on for a while now: I set up a QB and choose all the forces. I then duplicate this, and vary the AI forces slightly. After I've got 3 or 4 QBs I put them into a folder, and have a script which randomly plucks one, and copies it with a new name into my scenarios folder/directory.

End result: I still get a sensible AI force to play against - but I'm never sure exactly what it will be. No matter which scenario was chosen by the script it copies it to the same generic name so I don't tip myself off, so to speak.

That is a nice idea. I was hoping Battlefront might build this into the force selector, so that when you purchase the AI force you could create randomization by defining the chance of a unit appearing, but they don't seem interested in the idea.

I can accept that the QB is what it is, in terms of AI plans etc, but the inability to get an interesting - surprising - small battle out of it kills it for me. The auto selector is never going to buy the AI a Pzgr company supported by a PzIV and 2 half tracks, you have to do it for it, which makes the scenario a grind against a known force composition where, once you have dealt with the known highest threats, you barely have to play properly anymore.

I can accept that the QB is what it is, in terms of AI plans etc, but the inability to get an interesting - surprising - small battle out of it kills it for me. The auto selector is never going to buy the AI a Pzgr company supported by a PzIV and 2 half tracks, you have to do it for it, which makes the scenario a grind against a known force composition where, once you have dealt with the known highest threats, you barely have to play properly anymore.

Agreed. Which is one reason why I dream of the scenario file being xml format - or at least the force composition. This way I could define a set of acceptable and realistic forces to fight against, then script their (random) insertion into a battle.

I have recently seen the same issues as Whiterider with QBs and happy to see that changes are being made to the QB format for CMRT. I would hope that this is also applied to CMBN and CMFI.

I can provide examples of three battles that I played on CMFI+GL on 1.12 version in which the vast majority of the opposition (80 to 90%) on a map in which I am attacking are grouped in the backside of the map. The other 10 to 20% of the units act like a picket line. They do not move until my unit has eyes on them. This is a very frustrating issue for those that like to play versus the AI, I would have thought that it would have been resolved by now. The CMFI-GL map numbers are as follows 19, 20 and 136. I have the game files at startup and at periodic periods in the battle and can send them if needed.

Agreed. Which is one reason why I dream of the scenario file being xml format - or at least the force composition. This way I could define a set of acceptable and realistic forces to fight against, then script their (random) insertion into a battle.

Scripting force composition in xml would certainly be a big step forward. Players could also swap manually created AI force compositions to play against.

You are all making important comments. I can assure you that BFC is very focused on improving our QB gaming experience. I need to disengage myself from the discussion for two reasons. The first is NDA (what I can I say when I cannot say!) Second...and more important to QB Players.... I really need to be making the best possible maps I can... AND more of them...not talking about them. So it's back to the QB Map Factory! Thanks for your support and ideas!

Thanks for posting , MarkEzra. Thanks also for all your great work. I'm looking very forward to CMRT (and wouldn't want the current issues we are discussing to hold it up!).

Please do keep reading this thread, though, if you can.

• 8 months later...

As I am back to CM since the early CMSF days I have a small sampling of playing QBs.

But I have noticed either all or some units do not move in some scenarios where they logically should move out. Also noticed that units may take 10 turns to appear if you do not go get them. My hunch is that is the AI plan for the map. Plan to experiment with the AI and see how it behaves in a QB vs a non QB.

Kevin