Captured T-34s

LukeFF

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the OP's question, Im sure we will see German T-34 sooner or later. Germans carrying ppsh's might not happen as it complicates things with the ammo loadouts etc. I hope it can be done possibly with some simplification (make it 9mm?) just because its cool :)

You can ASSIGN enemy TOE to your side in the editor. So, right now you can have T34's being used by the Germans. (Okay, "you" can't, but "I" can. ;) ) For Germans to use T34's, do the following:

In the editor, go to Mission/Data/Force vs. Force. The default is "Axis vs. Allied". (In the Units menu in the editor, the top choice corresponds to the first listing in Force vs. Force.)

So, I could buy a German rifle battalion. Go out of the Units menu, go to Data/Force vs. Force, change it to "Allied vs. Allied", go back to Units, choose the top "allied" listing, purchase units, go to individual units, select T34, make sure my German battalion on the right (purchased) window has the little yellow arrow, double-click on the T34, and it's assigned to my battalion CO.

Back to Force vs. Force, change back to "Axis vs. Allied" and Bob's your uncle.

For small arms, well, you could buy enemy units and use them. Maybe assign scout teams to individual platoons. Can't really get the PPSh's into a German squad.

The above is true for all CM games.

If your "German" T34 gets hit will the crewmen that bail out be in Soviet uniforms or does the game assign crewmen figures/uniforms according to the 'side' ?

They'd be Soviet.

BF will surely add captured tanks with the appropriate markings and coloring in an update.

How hard can it be?

Im sure they will.. only a question of when.

If your "German" T34 gets hit will the crewmen that bail out be in Soviet uniforms or does the game assign crewmen figures/uniforms according to the 'side' ?

I force my German crewmen who are manning Soviet tanks to wear Soviet uniforms and speak Russian. I feel it allows them to get more out of the captured equipment. ;)

Hmmm...If they were to reappear as Russians could you kill the same tank's crew a second time?

Surely they will be in uniforms of the side they are on(???). In CM1 am sure captured vehicles had appropriate crew uniforms.

The ability to change the sides of units in the editor is in the game right now, and has been in since CMSF. This does not affect uniforms, textures, languages, etc., simply whether they are under Allied or Axis control. If and when BFC adds captured equipment to the TO&E, it will explicitly be part of German TO&E, either as options in existing formations or in new formations. It won't be handled by purchasing units or equipment from the Soviet TO&E through side switching in the editor.

Surely they will be in uniforms of the side they are on(???). In CM1 am sure captured vehicles had appropriate crew uniforms.

When captured vehicles is implemented that will be true. But the quick fix we have now that can put a T-34, or any other vehicle in the opposite side will still have their "old" uniforms.

edit: Ninja'd by akd.

I know they had quite a few T-34s at Kursk, but were they still around a year later?

In most Panzer Divisions captured AFVs were attached to the Division Anti-Tank or Panzerjager group. The Germans made use of captured tanks throughout the entire war, as long as those vehicles could be maintained in service or until expended in combat. Neither of which was planned to be very long.

German captured T-34s is definitely a must for a future module/pack. This another one of those things that just because they're not in the game yet doesn't mean they're not in slated for the full game. Like Lend/Lease. I recall doing a camou German T-34-85 mod for CMBB... holy crap, ten years ago?

Personally, I'm not sure I'd have wanted to "crew" a captured vehicle. Although it would no doubt garner you bragging rights, the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.

Does anyone have any stories about being on the receiving end of friendly fire while manning a captured AFV?

Personally, I'm not sure I'd have wanted to "crew" a captured vehicle. Although it would no doubt garner you bragging rights, the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.

Does anyone have any stories about being on the receiving end of friendly fire while manning a captured AFV?

Back Before Baneman's Grand-daddy invented fire, I was shot at driving a T 34, but I attributed it to just being dark.

I tried bringing this up in the CB:BN forum, but the possibility exists that we will get captured vehicles (other than those captured from the French in 1940) in the 1st CMBN Battlepack, though I don't know if the Allies used any captured AFVs and I doubt the Germans hardly captured any up to August '44. IIRC the Allies had a good sized motor pool of captured German transport.

German ppsh is a must. The ppsh were so popular that I'd say there should be a 50 % chance every squad has a guy ditch his k98 for a ppsh. I'd like to see the whole small arms thing revamped. SMGs are so vital due to the suppression they dole out that I just cringe every time the smg guy goes down. No way to recover that weapon as it stands now. I think we should be able to recover SMGs and ammo on the battlefield just like we do LMGs. Even enemy SMGs as well.