New streams/videos of Red Thunder are up

ChrisND

Hey guys,

Did another three hour stream of Red Thunder today! Highlights of the session are available here:

http://www.twitch.tv/chrisnd/

You can also find them on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NormalDude1066/videos

They should also be up on the Battlefront.com YouTube playlist sometime this weekend.

Included: Hetzers, rocket artillery, flamethrowers, SMG squads, and long range tank duels. :D

ChrisND,

Watched the shorter vids. Am both impressed and disturbed. If you're really able to make tactical decisions, issue orders and execute them as fast as you do in the vids, then I'm really impressed. Am absolutely blown away by that map. Speaking of blown away, am more afraid now of SMG squads than I already was--clear back to CMBB, never mind the sanguinary possibilities in CMRT. The hit decal perforations from Russian shrapnel (not the same as canister, which is muzzle action only) of the Moebelwagen's front armor flap is terrific, and the Katyusha strike is anything but "all sound and fury signifying nothing!" The 251/16s are most interesting to watch. Believe they have enough crew to fire to both sides simultaneously. Seem to recall that on the Panzer Grenadier training film at the mopup phase. Did you know the 251/16 has three flame projectors, not two? The third is a hose projector which can be used dismounted without exposing the 251/16.

Finally, why am I disturbed? It's because you bear an uncanny resemblance to Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory. To have what my brain reads as Sheldon doing what you do is most surreal, since this is the last game Sheldon would ever play, though as a physicist, he might appreciate the in-game physics modeling.

Thanks for doing these vids. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

John Kettler

"If you're really able to make tactical decisions, issue orders and execute them as fast as you do in the vids, then I'm really impressed."

John, I think this is pretty much average for many players.

And I had to laugh...I was also thinking Chris looks a little like Sheldon...Sheldon has a thinner face, though.

And thanks for these videos, Chris!

mjkerner,

How I yearn to be average, then! Not even close--when I have the necessary circuits firing so I can play.

Skwabie,

The answer must be of course. Else, how are the tankodesntaniki supposed to protect their armored steed? In practice, and I seriously doubt this could be coded, the SL is behind the turret, fairly well protected, kneeling or squatting and positioned so that he can either bang on the hatch, when the tank's buttoned, or get the TC's attention when unbuttoned. He's doing the real spotting. The rest of the squad is a) hanging on for dear life while B) looking for close-in threats out to, say, 0-100 meters. Guys with Tellermines to guys with Panzerschrecks. Brrp. Brrp. Gefallen im Krieg!

Regards,

John Kettler

Damn those ATGs are annoying in the Gog and Magog scenario. Makes me wanna pull hair out just by watching the vid.

And they're very tenacious too. I find using tank HE fire to kill them really takes a lot of ammo. Apparently artillery's the best way to go. If the crews are unprotected, 81mm mortars can do the job. If they're in any sort of protection, like beneath some trees, let alone in foxholes or trenches, forget the 81s. Only a **** load of 105s or up can do the job.

Because it all comes down to this: Unless you knock out the gun, or kill every single one of the crew members, or cause panic and make them abandon the gun itself, the ATG will keep firing:X

I think if it were me I'd just pull back the tanks and let the FO/HQs call in arty to sort them out first.

Skwabie,

The answer must be of course. Else, how are the tankodesntaniki supposed to protect their armored steed? In practice, and I seriously doubt this could be coded, the SL is behind the turret, fairly well protected, kneeling or squatting and positioned so that he can either bang on the hatch, when the tank's buttoned, or get the TC's attention when unbuttoned. He's doing the real spotting. The rest of the squad is a) hanging on for dear life while B) looking for close-in threats out to, say, 0-100 meters. Guys with Tellermines to guys with Panzerschrecks. Brrp. Brrp. Gefallen im Krieg!

LOL yes John, but I wonder if the in-game mechanism is the same.

Someone asked the question in Twitch, that can rider infantry help with tank spotting. Dunno if there's any answer yet as I'm curious myself?

yes, but when all twelve guys are yelling "look at that" and pointing in all 12 directions, the TC usually just rolls his eyes.

kidding. I honestly don't know.

Sheldo... errr CHRIS (had me thinking on that too :D) - MANY thanks for doing these! I really get a lot out of them both in terms of tactics and weapons capabilities. Much appreciated.

Glenn

PS - Chris, do you always play WEGO or do you ever use RT (Real Time)? My preference is Real Time, but as a novice I have a hard time keeping up with things. Just wondering if you (and others) have any preferences in that direction (or tips for that matter)? Thanks!

PS - Chris, do you always play WEGO or do you ever use RT (Real Time)? My preference is Real Time, but as a novice I have a hard time keeping up with things. Just wondering if you (and others) have any preferences in that direction (or tips for that matter)? Thanks!

I play WEGO almost always. Because 99% of the time when I'm playing, I'm testing, WEGO is easier to rewind if I see a bug or other problem. For smaller battles, I would prefer Real Time, though.

Just watched Gog and Magog. Good stuff. ASL Vet is a cunning map maker to be sure.

I suggest you be bolder w/ your armor. You have a qualitative - and a quantitative superiority - in terms of your Tigers and Panthers. Get closer - w/ ALL of them - and score. As it stands now you are hanging back w/ some of them and some others (that poor Tiger in the center) are suffering death by a 1,000 cuts.

Press Ivan!!!

Can you enlighten us to your setup/softward for making these videos?

Broadcasting software is XSplit. It's free for personal use. It's also fairly easy to set up and they've got YouTube videos giving you step by step instructions on how to do so.

For hardware, I use a Logitech HD Pro C920 Webcam and a simple green screen cloth, along with a normal gaming headset for audio input.

Really the trickiest part was getting the audio levels (voice vs game) adjusted correctly. other than that setup was easy.

I think I'm going to play Gog and Magog again next week. It was juuuust starting to get good! Hopefully this time I can do it with King Tigers instead of Tigers. :D

What I'll probably do is start it up fresh and play exactly the same up to the point that we left off, then stop and wait for stream. It won't play out exactly the same of course, but it should be close.

Oh, and this time I'll remember to save a couple times. ;)

Looking forward to that!

Did the King Tiger 3D model get a re-vamp in red thunder?... Probably not but I continue to wet dream...

KTs already got a re-vamp previously, AFAIK. The ones in Red Thunder are the Henschel turret versions, same as the ones that came with Market Garden. They look purty.