History of Battlefront

Davek555

That picture was taken in Quebec City which was, for many years, my home away from home for a week.

Funny, that. Quebec's been a 'home away from home" for me ever since studying there back in 1982. I even "popped the question" to my wife on the Terrace Dufferin...in both official languages, no less.

Thanks for posting the link DaveK555.

Steve,

I enjoyed reading how you got started very much. It really is an inspiring “American Dream” success story. As I read it I saw so many similarities to my own story of how I first got my artwork published. The same thing happened to me with doors slammed in my face, with it being a blessing in disguise. I sent my work to all the big blackight poster publishers with one telling me my work would NEVER sell. I knew he was wrong, so I decided to try to publish myself. No bank would loan me the money, so I gambled financing start up to do two images with about $6000 on credit cards in 1993 with no customers yet. Within a few years I was making a good living just from my art, grew to fourteen published images, and developed an improved new printing technique for blacklight posters.

I know how great it felt when the people who originally turned you down starting knocking on your door as one of the big guys who originally turned me down started carrying my art posters. The original rejection was the best thing that ever happened. In the end I ended up making much more money publishing myself, and was able to control the product development process just as you did by starting your own gaming business.

I identified with hours, and hours spent doing research for Cmx1 in the days before the Internet as I looked at microfilm after microfilm of yellow pages across the country to find potential customers. Just as you and Charles were doing all the packaging, and sales/marketing of your product I was rolling poster after poster myself, and making call after call to try to sell my prints. I rolled 50,000 myself my first year.

Finally, the most important similarity in the stories is we like the same beer :D. Guinness!

Where the similarities end is that Battlefront’s star is still, and think will always rise higher, and higher while mine reached its peak in the late 90’s at the height of the blacklight poster trend. I still sell my art, and always will, but am not making enough to live solely off it these days. It’s not exactly an artist economy right now.

I sincerely wish you, Charles, and the BF team continued success in the future. You should feel proud of your accomplishment in making the wargame that has become the bar to strive for in the genre. If there is no link to the story on the “about us” page I would add it. I think many would find it interesting, and encouraging to follow their dreams.