History of Battlefront

Davek555

Thanks for the link! I haven't read that since it came out. Quite a good piece, though with the usual things for me to quibble about being over emphasized or not quite accurate. It's a fun read and it gives a very accurate overall story for how we got to where we are today.

I'm also glad that the writer included the bits about how important our volunteers and partners are to making CM possible. It's humbling to know that some of our testers have been with us for 10 years, others have been customers for 10 and volunteers more recently. Without customers we'd have no source for volunteers, and without volunteers we'd have no customers. It's a crazy symbiotic relationship that got started because Charles and I were stupid enough to make and publish a wargame on our own. Please raise your glasses to the benefits of youthful idealism :D

Steve

Davek555,

Great story I hadn't seen. Thanks much for providing it. Moon, please give him a pass on that commercial link. The writing's a bit disjointed, such as not telling us which game was a success until being informed of Civil War Generals 2. The earliest CMBO graphics grate on my nerves, but I love the Panther in winter and the halftracks along the road. Lots of warm fuzzy feelings, together with realizing afresh that I was one of those Beta Demo people.

We played Last Defense and Riesberg to death. And beyond. Well do I recall the clamor for CMBO to be released. So great was the demand for unfortunately delayed game release that it verged on outright insurrection and was only temporarily held at bay by the Big Time Software (firm's name before the current one) release of the CMBO Gold Demo scenarios Chance Encounter and Valley of Trouble.

I had a brief run with Close Combat (a friend had it on his Mac) and was really impressed with the belly crawling soldiers. Until I saw a StuG III in the CMBO Beta Demo pivot its gun, not the hull, and fire at a crossing Sherman, killing it with one shot. Was practically stupefied by that. It was as though Micro Armour came to life and ran about on my screen!

As it happens, I visited Avalon Hill shortly before Eric Dott (hisses at the very mention of his name; he had zero interest in or appreciation for wargames), nuked the place. I knew the last editor of The General, Don Hawthorne, which is how I got to visit there. I was flat out shocked by the decrepit sty I walked into. Understand that I started with Tactics II in 1967 and that AH was, for the longest time, all I knew of wargaming. So to visit wargame Olympus and find myself instead in a veritable garbage dump was really upsetting. The vibe there was bad, too, with only a handful of people left. While there, I learned that Eric Dott never ran AH as anything more than a loss offset to his successful printing firm.

I think it's great to learn more about how the company came to be and learn more about the people. Had no idea how big the staff was these days. Have to say it's strange to really see Steve, who I've been interacting with since January 2000, let alone the almost mythic "brain in the jar" himself. Neither looks at all like what I imagined. And so young! Charles looks like a teenager, while Steve looks tough enough to survive a Maine winter. A toughness I find him at times exhibiting on the Forums. Don't test him on CAS. I miss the halcyon days of yore in which he was super active here, but am glad to see him and talk to him at all.

I can't tell you how much fun--and anguish--I had playing the multiply revolutionary CMBO. 3-D, stereo sound, WeGo, state-of-the art ballistics and terminal ballistics modeling--all runnable on a 200 MHz PC with no graphics card. Ran mine on a Gen One 266 MHz iMac. The computer did the number crunching, while I fought the war. If you've never waded through complicated wargame rules, such as with miniatures, you wouldn't believe what a relief it is to be free of having to do it. And PBEM was life changing, allowing worldwide wargaming at a manageable pace. CMBO certainly had its flaws, such as super accurate and responsive artillery (sorely missed when corrected in CMBB) and inadequately depicted machine modeling (could storm MGs while in the open), but for playability and gaming scope (Jagdtigers, anyone?), it was unbeatable. I miss that aspect of it to this day. Because of the way it was designed, it was much easier to play at higher unit levels, whereas I quail at the thought of running an infantry battalion in CMBN, etc. Shall let someone else tell you all we had in terms of features we don't have here. And how I miss being able to site a gun and not have it embedded in a wall!

What a great walk down memory lane! Thanks again for the chance to traipse it.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hi,

It is a great article.

Makes me laugh that Steve’s photo is clearly taken in a pub.. and Charles looks as though me his about to go for a run;).

We certainly are lucky Steve and Charles got into wargaming. A recurring nightmare is the thought that they had really gone off and developed Space Lobsters instead of CM... :).

Tactical wargaming is a desert out there without CM. Scourge of War, Command Ops and now Flashpoint Campaigns are all fine games and importantly for them, by the only measure that counts, I clearly do think they are “good enough...” because I buy them.

But the mix of historical accuracy and immersion... the extent to which is can hold the player “in the zone...” while within the limits of the single controlling mind delivering historical accurate outcomes is breathtaking.

Long may the mass slaughter continue... :).

All the best,

Kip.

Very cool story. The American dream. They were able to start, successfully run and grow a small business. The talent, dedication and sacrifice that took says alot about their character and courage. (Not to mention they had to be a little crazy) If there is ever an IPO I will buy stock. Good job.

Great article. Shows how strong you guys have been in this industry when even huge publishers and best selling game studios are closing. So glad all the hard work you guys have done has paid off. Thanks for all your hard work, now my love of your games has made my sons of 7 and 3 years old get into wargaming with me. :)

Speaking of Flight Leader, I would love to see this updated. I still have it on an old Windows computer, including the scenario/campaign builder. Perhaps a 3D, turn-based environment with skinnable planes. Add-on paks could include planes, planes and scenarios/campaigns not included in the initial release.

It wouldn't be easy, since flight characteristics for all the planes, as well as AA missiles would have to be researched, as well as radar and ECM measures to name a few.

Perhaps one day...

i remember seeing CMBO in a local PC mag here in Adelaide,whilst i was playing panzer general 3D,i think there was just one picture and a small sentence or two about the game in the article.i believe there was a demo listed in the article with an address,after playing the demo i immediately rang my wargamming freak mates and we all placed our orders

i can still remember trying to figure out how to order it from BTS over the internetz,as it was all very new to me back then.

it arrived within a few weeks and within a few more weeks i was in the chat rooms at CMHQ and eventually joined my first CM club(dogs of war,which was the forerunner of WeBoB,which im still a member of.)

10 years on and im still involved,maybe one day i may even volunteer myself for active service.

Life changing event for sure,one im quite thankful for,though i doubt my wife would agree.

too bad for her:)

Does that make Charles Cliff?

My all-time favorite Clavinism is

Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Many Thank's to Steve and Charles for the 1000sands of hours of CM entertainment dating back to '2000! Back then, I was using a 900 mhz Gateway computer with a 19' CRT, to now using an Intel Hexcore 3.3 GB with a 3 GB GPU. and 16gb ram on a Sharp 240hz '70 inch monitor. I am Giddy with excitment about the upcoming Red Thunder!,and I may never leave the house again once it comes out.! Keep up the good work team BFC, and thank's for putting up with me,for sometimes not engaging my brain before I put my keyboard into gear!..

As a former volunteer who edited a stack of copy for CMBB (and I'm still available for editing), it was a pleasure working behind the scenes with Battlefront, particularly moon, rune and matt.

I still remember my wife's reaction when I told her I needed to do some editing while we were on our honeymoon. But hey, a deadline's a deadline. :)

My apologies if this has been posted before..but I just saw this article online about the history of Battlefront. Even has pictures of Steve and Charles. :Dhttp://www.polygon.com/features/2013/1/29/3916154/turn-by-turn-battlefront-combat-mission

Was that picture of Charles taken before they removed his brain and stuck it in a jar?

i remember seeing CMBO in a local PC mag here in Adelaide,whilst i was playing panzer general 3D,i think there was just one picture and a small sentence or two about the game in the article

oooh a reminiscence thread? I was lucky in that a great friend I've known since High School was a CMBO beta tester and kindly allowed me to setup a quickbattle (so much for the NDA) and spend time hunting a Hetzer with a M36 Jackson. I was hooked as it was the type of tactical WW2 game I always wanted.

But the other thing I like about Combat Mission is the great friends I've made through this very forum. That was the bonus.

Thanks! It has been an interesting time, if nothing else :D

Yes, that picture was taken in a pub. No, I do not live in a pub. I tried that for a while and found it to be too much work! ("Hey, since you're here, how about helping move kegs into the basement?"). That picture was taken in Quebec City which was, for many years, my home away from home for a week.

In the same place Cliff's "Buffalo Theory", BTW, was printed out, framed, and hung over the urinal with pride :D

But the other thing I like about Combat Mission is the great friends I've made through this very forum. That was the bonus.

If you want to call the rabble you run with "friends" you go right ahead. Few others would ;)

Seriously, I also am quite happy with the number of accounts I see that have activation times in the 10+ year range. It is humbling. Always.

Steve

It's great to hear the story behind Battlefront and the determination and vision Steve and Charles showed to get Combat Mission up and running. I remember when I first played CM and thinking this was the game I always wanted to play since I was a kid and heard my granddad's old war stories. I've never been disappointed since.