When are the effects getting a face lift?

Flanker15

Whippersnapper. I started gaming when they were all just (mostly unpainted) models on a green baize offcut with step-hills (yes, they're only your hills cos the step pyramid entombed your mom)... And Fog of War meant a hasty sketch on the back of an envelope that you could only check after the game was over for "creative interpretation"... You youngstes don't know how good you got it. Now where's my lawn?

(How'm I doin' Mr Emrys?)

[Please take the above with as many smileys as you need... :) ]

You misspelled 'youngsters'. Since you asked...

:D

Michael

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh, am I so old I remember when wargamers could care less about the graphics? Am I also so old as some of you played hex-based 2D wargames and liked them? I'd say we passed that long ago but it amazes me how ppl used to say how the game sucked because of the graphical improvement BFC did over hexes to now every incarnation gets even better graphically and people want so much more. :D Wargamers are by far the best genre. :).

You had hair? Must be nice!

And where did you get the matches from, Burkey?

I don't even remember fire having been invented yet.

Matches? Who said anything about matches? We just rubbed their head with two sticks and mixed some tinder in their hair. A bloody mess most of the time.

And how did you know I used to have that nickname? You must be one of those NSA dudes. Pfft, you probably have lighters and stuff.

And how did you know I used to have that nickname? You must be one of those NSA dudes. Pfft, you probably have lighters and stuff.

Canadians know many things, Burkey. Like Hockey, for starters.

As for the NSA, doesn't that stand for No Stragglers Allowed?

shot_2012_07_01_09_54_26_0016.jpg

I would like something similar to the flame/flamethrower effects in Graviteam Tactics. Note also the blistered paint and shed track.

They also do very good hit decals. Additionally they have a nice feature (also in the image) where you can examine each hit on a vehicle post battle, and the UI will show trajectory of the initial round, trajectory of any ricochet, details of the damage and the details of the firing enemy.

Finally, I would like CM to ditch the tracers for small arms.

If I had one wish in the graphics department it would be curved roads.

Straight angles and straight roads are so unnatural it hurts my eyes every time.

I would like something similar to the flame/flamethrower effects in Graviteam Tactics. Note also the blistered paint and shed track.

Both these suggestions are great - curved roads (and other curvey things?) and thrown tracks would both look excellent.

Well any improvments are great and lets face it Battlefront have been making graphic and game play improvments with every release.

They are a small team compared to alot of others and they are giving us a fantastic game which only gets better every release.

How many other game companies upgrade past releases, not many I would say.

Cheers

Stephen

Much as I enjoy pretty graphics, this game does what no other war game does for me, it give me a force of soldiers, makes me design a plan, deploy for it and try to execute it all the while knowing my opponent is going to try and counter me. I have never had a game where in one minute of game time it has had me wanting to shout with joy and then scream in anger as tanks get destroyed, units take fire and come apart and my plan falls apart. Somehow in all that the pretty pictures get forgotten and I am more worried about my soldiers who just died to my poor execution of the plan.

Nothing I have ever played has beaten combat mission and if they didn't improve anything else i would still buy it. :-)

Judging from what I've seen of the flamethrower effects, yes, I do. IMO they look really out of place.

I assume you have seen the flame graphics watching Chris/ND's live streams on the internet.

Are we even sure that those will be the final iteration of what the flame graphics will look like? He has stated that he is playing on a Beta version not fully implemented.

I think the sprites are fine, especially with mods. What would really help is a moddable particle effect to create the appearance of flying debris. It could be very simple and then modders could add better debris sprites later.

Yep!

Sprites are fine, every game still uses them but I'm after more sprites at the same time to get that volumetric effect plus flying debris!

BFC are very strict about not going past bitmap swaps for modding so no scripting mods for effects in the foreseeable future.