why no Russian campaign from 1941

The notion of 'siege' and 'fun' in the same sentence is an amusing one :rolleyes:

As an aside i think this is why the fps RO2 focus on Stalingrad fighting was a mistake.

Modelling the soul destroying, grinding, hopeless combat of infantry urban fighting (all the maps) = game that engenders a soul destroying malaise in the player. Maybe one or two urban maps might be fun but building the initial release on maps with multiple and vertical avenues of game death, not really "fun" for more than a match or two.

I tend to also get annoyed at urban clearing/assaults in CMFI and in shock force/gan.

As an aside i think this is why the fps RO2 focus on Stalingrad fighting was a mistake.

Modelling the soul destroying, grinding, hopeless combat of infantry urban fighting (all the maps) = game that engenders a soul destroying malaise in the player. Maybe one or two urban maps might be fun but building the initial release on maps with multiple and vertical avenues of game death, not really "fun" for more than a match or two.

I tend to also get annoyed at urban clearing/assaults in CMFI and in shock force/gan.

LOL I have an urban "sandbox" just to try out different things in CMFI and see how they look and it has me totally hooked.

I know Urban Combat isn't for every one but perhaps by CM version 5.0 they'll have mouseholes, cellars and sewers, external ladders and stairs, and more building types to make it more interesting for players. Or perhaps that will make it more tedious; I don't know. :)

LOL I have an urban "sandbox" just to try out different things in CMFI and see how they look and it has me totally hooked.

Just don't let your cat find out about the sandbox. I used to have a cat with a terrible habit of laying his own mines. Scooping them out was not my idea of "fun".

I have yet to play a CMx2 game in a heavily urbanized setting. There was one that entailed a medium sized village that was the center of the action, but a lot of fighting also took place outside the village. I guess at least part of that is up to the fact that I have a deep-seated antipathy for heavily urbanized areas in real life. Forests, meadows, streams, and hills are my natural habitat and that is where I also like to do my fighting, although all in all I would much prefer to make love, not war.

:)

Michael

I know Urban Combat isn't for every one but perhaps by CM version 5.0 they'll have mouseholes, cellars and sewers, external ladders and stairs, and more building types to make it more interesting for players. Or perhaps that will make it more tedious; I don't know. :)

I think cellars and sewers are out. BF has been pretty firm on stuff that affects the mesh (see discussions on trenches). Mouse holing can be done now but only with demo charges. Would be interesting if use of stuff like a sledgehammer could be done that wouldn't totally give away your position. I think we will see more building types and I am really hoping a lot more attention to urban destruction for Stalingrad (or even earlier in Berlin?)

A map maker can add passages between buildings to simulate mouse holing. You'd then end up with something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8zqwzP4r78&feature=youtu.be

Forests, meadows, streams, and hills are my natural habitat and that is where I also like to do my fighting, although all in all I would much prefer to make love, not war.

:)

Michael

That's not what I heard. From your references to your preferred theater for CM I assumed you liked the desert, but getting sand in THOSE places has got to be uncomfortable.

I think cellars and sewers are out. BF has been pretty firm on stuff that affects the mesh (see discussions on trenches).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8zqwzP4r78&feature=youtu.be

But isn't that just because it causes loss of fog of war which doesn't necessarily apply to cellars or is it also a frame rate issue caused by deep bends in the mesh?

AFAICT, urban combat is always going to be hamstrung by the inability to fire at what you can see. That engine limitation, which isn't going away any time soon, is by far the biggest disconnect in how MOUT works out in the game. Every town has streets, they don't all have numerous cellars and traversable sewers.