Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

In game unit encyclopedia

Destynova

But if - as seems sometimes to be the case - people want it to bring up e.g. hit and penetration probability %s for a specific, current, in game vehicle match up - then no thanks, I don't WANT even to look at it; and if I'm honest I guess I don't want my opponents to be able to either, but part of my objection is that I don't think it would - should! - do them much good anyway, because of all of the variables involved.

Well, now that you mentioned it...

To give you an idea of what might eventually be in CM, but not any time soon, is something like this...

A player can click on any unit, vehicle or otherwise, and get a display that presents simplified, relevant info about it's capabilities and vulnerabilities. He can then click on another unit, vehicle or otherwise, belonging to the opposite force. It too shows capabilities and vulnerabilities, but it also shows how they are applicable to the other should they come into contact with each other. Some controls would be available to "case out" certain scenarios, such as range and facing, so as to give you a better understanding of what is the best course of action.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The encyclopedia would be a nice addition and contribute to the fact that Combat Mission is a serious tactical simulation. People would have the choice of referring to the encyclopedia or not based on their preference. It would seem to be a question of when the encyclopedia can be added with all the other cool things that BFC has on their to-do list. Steve and his crew seem to be pretty good at keeping a balance on what can be added and when. I look forward to the addition of an encyclopedia whether it is in engine 4.0 or 7.0 and I will pre-order them all.

Yes, I believe that an in game encyclopedia can add value to the game both for regular BFC customers such as us and help make the game more accessible for newer gamers that are just trying the Combat Mission games for the first time.

As hard as it may be to imagine for most posters on this board there are new players that don't know the practical differences between a Sherman armed with a 75mm or a 76mm cannon, nor do they have any realistic ideas how said Sherman would fare against an Panther at 800m also armed with a 75mm cannon. As it is now, not even the description in the pdf manual gives any meaningful information for a new player to learn.

Once less well known equipment get used even players that have some knowledge of WW2 tanks will be left wondering.

In the Market Garden manual it is stated that the Cromwell VII has 8-101 mm of armor. I might surmise that the tank has 101 mm at the front and 8mm at the back, but is it 101 all over the front? Or is it only 101 mm at the turret with much less at the hull? I have no idea, and no easy way to find out.

In the first generation of CM titles we had an in game encyclopedia that gave armor values for front, side and rear for both turret and hull. It allowed the player to make informed decisions about what tanks to buy and how to use them.

At the moment its pretty much "learn by trying/failing". While some grogs might find this fun and realistic I would think that most non-hardcore gamers would like to have more information at hand to make decisions. If you give the player the ability to inspect the armor and penetrating capabilities of a 75mm Sherman and then compare them to that of a Panther their respective strengths and weaknesses will become readily apparent and the player can make decisions based on facts rather than uninformed expectations. Combat Mission can be hard and unforgiving as it is without making lack of information about the units an artificial difficulty that hit new players extra hard.

Now, BFC has said that an in game encyclopedia is on their "to do list" but it will not be ready for Red Thunder. I can only hope and cross my fingers for that when their next game comes out or 4.0 that they have been able to implement this feature. I know if they release a module for Red Thunder that has Romanian or Hungarian units I would surely love some information about them. :)

Yes, I believe that an in game encyclopedia can add value to the game both for regular BFC customers such as us and help make the game more accessible for newer gamers that are just trying the Combat Mission games for the first time.

As hard as it may be to imagine for most posters on this board there are new players that don't know the practical differences between a Sherman armed with a 75mm or a 76mm cannon, nor do they have any realistic ideas how said Sherman would fare against an Panther at 800m also armed with a 75mm cannon. As it is now, not even the description in the pdf manual gives any meaningful information for a new player to learn.

Once less well known equipment get used even players that have some knowledge of WW2 tanks will be left wondering.

In the Market Garden manual it is stated that the Cromwell VII has 8-101 mm of armor. I might surmise that the tank has 101 mm at the front and 8mm at the back, but is it 101 all over the front? Or is it only 101 mm at the turret with much less at the hull? I have no idea, and no easy way to find out.

In the first generation of CM titles we had an in game encyclopedia that gave armor values for front, side and rear for both turret and hull. It allowed the player to make informed decisions about what tanks to buy and how to use them.

At the moment its pretty much "learn by trying/failing". While some grogs might find this fun and realistic I would think that most non-hardcore gamers would like to have more information at hand to make decisions. If you give the player the ability to inspect the armor and penetrating capabilities of a 75mm Sherman and then compare them to that of a Panther their respective strengths and weaknesses will become readily apparent and the player can make decisions based on facts rather than uninformed expectations. Combat Mission can be hard and unforgiving as it is without making lack of information about the units an artificial difficulty that hit new players extra hard.

Now, BFC has said that an in game encyclopedia is on their "to do list" but it will not be ready for Red Thunder. I can only hope and cross my fingers for that when their next game comes out or 4.0 that they have been able to implement this feature. I know if they release a module for Red Thunder that has Romanian or Hungarian units I would surely love some information about them. :)

That's why I would like to see replays and other stuff accessible on a smart phone.

Whether we like it or not the younger generation is texting and doing everything on their smartphone. Combat Mission may never be portable to a smartphone for awhile, but in the meantime giving an incentive to buy/own a computer that can play CM may be something worth looking into.

Eventually CM will be playable on a portable device.