Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

2 monitors on a Mac, etc

I have two monitors on my Mac and CM runs on the one seleted as the 'main' monitor. It would be helpful if you added to you list of features a method of selecting the monitor to be used. In my case, one is using a 3DFX Voodoo3 card and the other and ATI VR. Since I don't have RAGE for the faster and newer 3DFX card, I was very disappointed in its performance.

Have you tried downloading the RAVE driver for the Voodoo 2 cards from 3DFX? My understanding is that it will work with the V3 in a Mac, or at least allow a V3 to run RAVE games that don't use ATI extensions to RAVE (Charles, if you read this, does CM use any ATI extensions to RAVE?). If you try this, I'd be quite interested in hearing if it works with CM or not, since I'll buy one if it does wink.gif

Guest Big Time Software

pford, it simply isn't worth our time to code up something special for the few that have this problem. Would be nice if we could, but a few game features would have to be dropped. I don't think people would be too happy with us for doing that wink.gif All you have to do is go to the Monitors control panel and switch the main screen. Yes, I know this isn't smooth and automatic, but it really isn't something we are interested in devoting time to fix since it isn't easy to do and there is a 100% work around. As for the Voodoo3, I hope Ben's solution works because there is no other work around.

Steve

Steve:

While I understand why it is a low priority, I think you underestimate the frequency Macs have multiple monitors and how hard it is. Nanosaur does this and its source code is available. 1000 lines or less free re-use for comercial or private use. I would be happy to e-mail a copy of the source code.

Regards

Patrick Ford

Guest Big Time Software

Hehehe... and I think you overestimate the numbers and how many will be playing CM smile.gif A dozen would shock me. I have had multiple video cards in my last four Macs (IIci, 7100av, PowerTower 166, and Power Center Pro 210) and not one of them had a second monitor attached smile.gif Really surprised to hear it is "hard" to deal with. The few times I hooked up a second monitor (to play Hellcats or FA 18) it was a snap, just like it should be.

If you want to email Brian's code, we know where to pick it up (he is a great guy too, though I could kick his butt in Marathon!). But I very much doubt we will put it into v. 1.0. We are under huge time pressure here, so even if it took only an hour (and that would be a surprise!) it is too much.

Steve

Steve:

I hope you are wrong about the number of Mac users. I don't want to sound like I am really pusing it. Rereading my first post, I would change it to putting it on the wish-list, like around 1024 on the list for V2 or something. I will forward the code so you can put it on a shelf and dust it off when ready.

Considering what I have seen so far, the effort in CM greatly exceeds software I being ask use costing 300 to 400 times more.

While I am wishing, multiplayer with more than 2 players.

Regards

Pat Ford

Steve:

I hope you are wrong about the number of Mac users. I don't want to sound like I am really pusing it. Rereading my first post, I would change it to putting it on the wish-list, like around 1024 on the list for V2 or something. I will forward the code so you can put it on a shelf and dust it off when ready.

Considering what I have seen so far, the effort in CM greatly exceeds software I being ask use costing 300 to 400 times more.

While I am wishing, multiplayer with more than 2 players.

Another correction. By "hard it is" I meant programming, especially with your work I have seen so far. Your are right about how easy it is to attach multiple monitors.

Regards

Pat Ford

Guest Big Time Software

Oh, I didn't mean "a dozen Mac users"! Good God, I think we would just close our doors and call it day if that happened smile.gif I meant a dozen users with multiple monitors and mutlipe 3D cards. Since there is a 100% work around for this Dirty Dozen, a nice inline feature is so low of a priority that it is assured to not be in version 1.0. We'll see about future releases wink.gif

Steve

I have 2 monitors on my Mac. You get spoiled for 2 monitors after editng TV commercials on Mac-based editors all day (as well as Photoshop) I have no problem switching. I would much rather you fix the terrible problem of M18s arriving in the middle of the road on top of a crest in full very of every German gun on the board!