PBEM Problem...

OK...this has happened at least once to me and a friend playing PBEM. This time it really hurts given the outcome. Here's the story:

1. It's turn 9 or 10 of Last Defense. I'm the Ami's. I get my opponents orders (small file) and when I load it up...<POOF>...my reinforcements have arrived. Yeah! I plot my lines of fire and my other moves and send him the turn (big file).

2. He gets it and because of sequencing is only able to watch the movie -- in which my 3 Hellcats blow the ever-livin' *SNOT* out of his remaining tanks. Got the Tiger and both StuG III's. YEAH again!

3. He curses and produces the file back to me (big one again). I should be able to watch the movie and plot my moves (right?), but what happens is that "Allied Password:" prompt comes up and just "dings" at me. I can't type. I can't do anything. The only key that works is [ENTER] and that makes CM quit back to the desktop.

The options are for me to reply my part of the turn, but because this is random, my Hellcats might not do just a great job this time.

The other option I thought of is that -- since we're pals -- he gives me his password. Since he just got to watch the movie anyway, I might be able to create his move and then mine and then send him the turn where he puts in his orders and we'd be back on track.

Q: Has anyone else seen this? (I tried to search but didn't see anything.)

Q: Is there any other way around this?

Q: Do we know what causes it?

Thanks,

------------------

Doug

WB: -argo- {501 FF}

[This message has been edited by argo (edited 12-01-99).]

I understand that they are aware of the DING problem.

I got a work around.

Save the incomming .TXT file to the desktop.

Load it from there in to the game. Send the created .TXT file back from the CM Directory.

This has stopped that problem for me.

Roger

We've tried lots of stuff, including re-installing the CM application folder, replaying from a turn or so previously, renmaing the PBEM file, *not* renaming the PBEM file, moving it out of the CM directory, mailing it from the CM directory, etc., etc. Now it just started happening with another game I've got (or had) going.

So out of 3 PBEM games I had going -- most in the middle of the really exciting stuff -- only one is still moving along. The other two have apparently suffered from some sort of file corruption and even going back and replaying the turn from a couple of e-mails ago isn't fixing it. frown.gif

Bummed out,

------------------

Doug

Ooops...I forgot to mention.

Last night when it happened I was pressing keys to see if I could clear it and somehow a little dialog box popped up. Unfortunately, it was *behind* the CM application windown and I couldn't see it. I could see the "CLOSE (X)" menu choice from that upper-left pull-down menu that appears on all Windows applications/windows, but I couldn't see the contents of the dialog to know what was wrong or what it was trying to tell me.

If this has been solved in subsequent builds, I'd love to hear about it. This is another one of those bugs/problems that's making me think I don't want to spend $45 on this game. Really disappointing to get into the middle turns of a really good PBEM game only to be stopped dead in your tracks by a problem like this.

------------------

Doug

uhmmmm...i used the drag-paste option to copy the file from e-mail to CM directory...had lot of problems with that

Now im using the file-save addenda option of Outlook and till now (6 turns 3 pbem games) it is working

Maybe this will aid..hopefully

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having similar things happen to me. I will download the email and when I go to open it nothing happens at all. After some conversation with my opponant I resent my previous e-mail he replayed his turn and sent it back and it worked. Now even that is not working. My question is, I can live with this with the demo, but is BTS aware of these things and have they been fixed? I ran a search to find this thread and read about 6 others but didn't find an answer to this question.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly my interest has waned of late for CM mostly because of these issues, but I had some free time today and decided to check back. *THANK YOU* for posting that you're having the same problem. Sucks, don't it. frown.gif

Anyway...at least I'm not the only one, but I've now had 3 PBEM games totally dorked by this problem and until I get an answer, I won't be buying the full game. Hell...I won't even play any more demo PBEM games for fear of losing them just when things get good.

------------------

Doug

Well, FWIW, my PBEM opponent and I are having the same problem. Or perhaps I should say that I'm having the problem. It's now T14 in Chance Encounter and I'm the Germans. He sent me the movie file, zipped, and I unzipped it into a PBEM directory I had created. I select the file from the directory, the screen goes blank (as it usually does) and I hear the now infamous "ding" just before the Axis password screen shows. Then it "dings" everytime I try to enter something.

I'm using netscape and so the Outlook option won't work but I'll try "saving" rather then just opening and see what happens.

Thanks for posting, at least I know it's not my machine.

Joe

Joe - I suggest you try sending your messages by AOL Instant Messenger or ICQ file attachment options. I have been doing that with PC users to avoid problems on the Mac side. No problems since I started using IM.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

Yea ive had that same problem with 2 out of 3 of my games,i save it to the desk topand i no longer copy over old file helped alittle.

it normally seems to happen latter in game and gets worse as you get near the end.

Ive always got it to go sometimes you just have to keep trying to load file or resave it.Sometimes ill try 15-20 times to load file but it does wear on your patience but always works.Ive already spoken to BTS ABOUT THIS there has been 23 builds done since demo was released,and ive been told it's been addressed

------------------

AUCK

New Zealand

Superpower waiting to happen

Coffee: We tried that and the same thing happened. I'll see if the ICQ file attachment works, I'm using a PC, not sure what he's using. Too bad, but I'm sure that BTS will get it fixed, that's what Beta is for after all. We tried everything else that has been suggested and no luck.

Joe