CMRT - BETA AAR - German Side

BFCElvis

I'm not convinced that attacking will do me any favors. I do feel like I have my armor is set up well and they will probably determine how this plays out. The fact that they are alive this late in the game is a small miracle because sending scouts to their death and losing armor are two skills I have mastered.

Die with honor, Elvis. Dran, drauf und dürch. In other words, attack, before Bill has all his units where he wants them for the next push.

Agreed, Aragorn.

Elvis, your last best chance may be combining your armour to hone in on Bil's tanks at GELB. Focus on taking out a single T34 at a time. With a little luck you may be able to regain the upper hand in Victory Points as times elapses.

Agreed, Aragorn.

Elvis, your last best chance may be combining your armour to hone in on Bil's tanks at GELB. Focus on taking out a single T34 at a time. With a little luck you may be able to regain the upper hand in Victory Points as times elapses.

That is the exact plan, Stan.

Near GELB, the armor engages.

As usual (:)) I get the first shot off. But unfortunately it hits a tree.

8_zpse0df2f0e.jpg

Bil got off a shot and he also hit the thin tree line between us. I was able to get another shot fired and it hit the tree as well. With all the smoke in the air we lose our lines of sight. Bil was also firing something else into that tree line. It was hard to tell if it was rounds from the other tanks or direct mortar fire. Either way, he must think I have infantry there.

9_zps0ee962ce.jpg

I am looking forward to the end game to see how many kills this HMG team got. They did a fantastic job and I am happy to see that they all didn't die and being taken into the loving arms of the Russians who will give them shelter, hot meals and nice cozy beds. It's easy street for these guys for the rest of the war. Good for them..they deserve it.

7_zps8b72483a.jpg

BLAU has been evacuated.

6_zpsbb9e8e50.jpg

We all knew this moment would come.....and here it is.

4_zps36a2bfa0.jpg

I lost the tank commander. Not good but it could have been worse. Fortunately I had just reversed him to behind slight slope, so that while he recovers to a fighting condition, he won't be the LOF of Bils tanks.

Ah, the last men in BLAU. A flamethrower team that is in a building adjacent to the smokehouse. There was no way to move them to safety from their position. I decided to leave them hidden until I spotted some men waking by their hiding spot (see previous screen shot). By the end of that turn I had lost the line of sight, so I issued area fire the location the were headed for

As the next turn began, not only did the enemy units reappear but a unit was also moving behind my spot. He walked right into my area fire.

3_zpsa790c778.jpg

My turn to get the jump on Bil with some machine gun action.

2_zpscbc8266a.jpg

And then, snap, the flamer opens up on the guys sneaking up behind me. 3 confirmed dead but I thought I heard other screams.

1_zpseedfde25.jpg

They are each worth points (I think 100 each). The more VLs I hold the better. If I only hold one at the end there will have to be a lot of dead Russians for me to win.

Do you think the VL´s are at tactically reasonable places with regard to the whole map and how much did their locations influence you for purchasing and deploying your forces? I assume the VL´s beeing the same and known to both of you, did matter as well?

Do you think the VL´s are at tactically reasonable places with regard to the whole map and how much did their locations influence you for purchasing and deploying your forces? I assume the VL´s beeing the same and known to both of you, did matter as well?

They factored into my set up by anticipating how Bil would advance on them. BLAU was the obvious first point of contact and my initial recon/hunting missions originated out of there with very little success. GELB and the woods in front of it seemed like the most likely path that Bil would take and so setting up a defense of a platoon with mines in a spot that may have caught him off guard seemed like a good idea. I never would have guessed that he would charge GELB with no regard for what I might have back there. He took a big gamble on that road being clear and it paid off. Rot is where I figured the final stand would happen and deployed with that in mind. The sight lines out of there are just as poor but the sight lines into it are too. And I saw when an HMG can do against infantry in the open to the east of BLAU.

The VL seem like natural ones. It is a beauty of a map and a challenge to defend. I found a spot this morning that I hadn't noticed before that may have been helpful around BLAU. But that ship has sailed.

Regarding what I purchased in relation to the map and the VLs. I chose the Straggler group because it was requested and I hadn't played with them yet. In hindsight I would have been better served with a SMG company. The HMGs were 100% selected because of the VLs and the map. So was the Panther. With the Panther I wanted something heavy duty with a turret in case I got into a tight spot. The Hetzers were by request and also something I wanted personally. The terrain and VLs had no bearing on my buying them. And so far they look like my best purchase.

This is kind of a rambling post and I hope I kinda answered you questions.

I was just doing a plot turn and noticed something I may have missed in the last turn. I had the flak gun facing toward BLAU along one of the roads. They just spotted someone and when I went to give it a target order, I noticed it was now facing back toward the Hetzer that just got hit from the plane. I wonder if it was firing at the plane and I was too busy holding my breath to notice.

Flak_zps651242d2.jpg

Good luck with bringing down an Il-2 with a single 2cm flak gun. Would Bil have spotted the skyward tracer do you think?

The Panther is a good tank, for frontal encounters, but I always found its 40mm side armour a pain to be honest, even a 45mm AT gun can kill it.

I plunked a few more guys this turn without losing any.

That flamethrower team in BLAU has officially earned its keep and I think they'll get a couple more before they end up meeting their makers.

I wanted to bug them out of the building they have been in to both get a shot at some guys I spotted in nearby rubble and to change locations in case Bil has had enough of them. I drew an area fire target to the rubble but before they could execute it they saw these guys running through the lettuce patch. Got one right away.

5_zps73283d50.jpg

And then sent the others to ground. They have 4 confirmed kills and I think it maybe more. 2:1 is a ratio I am going to need going forward to make up for some of my early losses.

4_zps4bef46ab.jpg

As the turn ended my Flak gun was ready to pull the trigger on these guys moving on the western side of BLAU.

3_zps826b9a6b.jpg

More interesting is what happened when my HMG in Rot caught sight of these guys moving along the fence.

2_zps068bb27a.jpg

They took down a man and sent another to ground but looked what rolled toward the smokehouse. That is not even close to what I thought Bil would be doing with those IsU122's. He must feel safe there (man, wouldn't it have been cool if that flamer was just a little closer) and has bunched them on the far side of the gully not far from where his T34 Flamer died. I'm not sure what he thinks he needs to be there for but I am happy that they aren't headed anywhere near where they can hurt me. Except for maybe the HMG in Rot.....but even that doesn't need the commitment of both of them. Whatever the reason is, for now I'm happy.

1_zpsce0e1ee7.jpg