No Release Date

upen

I've read the overview, the announcement on this forum and the store page and it looks like there's a critical piece of information missing, you don't mention the release date anywhere! I'd love to throw down some $$ for this but I feel a bit off buying something with no idea when it's coming out, why put up the pre-order before you can put a firm date on it?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to throw down some $$ for this but I feel a bit off buying something with no idea when it's coming out, why put up the pre-order before you can put a firm date on it?

to get the hard copy. If you don't want that then you don't have to (and can't) pre order. With the way things are going that hard copy is of questionable value. The days of the disc player are numbered. (That did not however stop me from pre ordering :) )

I've read the overview, the announcement on this forum and the store page and it looks like there's a critical piece of information missing, you don't mention the release date anywhere! I'd love to throw down some $$ for this but I feel a bit off buying something with no idea when it's coming out, why put up the pre-order before you can put a firm date on it?

Welcome! Just so you know, we *never* post release dates, but we've *always* shipped within 4-8 weeks. That applies to 15 years worth of game releases, not just Combat Mission, so we've got a very solid track record you can rely upon.

And if there is anything unforeseen that holds up a release we'll be here to talk about it.

Steve

upen, I've bought on the order of 9 titles from Battlefront, and pre-ordered every one. Never been disappointed either -- sure, defects (or bugs) are a fact of life in software (23 years in the industry has taught me that), but Battlefront always delivers on the vast majority of what they say.

One of the nice things is that they WON'T ship just to meet an f'ing date posted on some website, and that's a big part of why they get my pre-orders. Other 'big' companies are too used to putting out crap to keep analysts or corporate bureaucracy happy while screwing the customers. I want a good game, plain and simple, and BFC has delivered on that for years.

upen, I've bought on the order of 9 titles from Battlefront, and pre-ordered every one. Never been disappointed either -- sure, defects (or bugs) are a fact of life in software (23 years in the industry has taught me that), but Battlefront always delivers on the vast majority of what they say.

One of the nice things is that they WON'T ship just to meet an f'ing date posted on some website, and that's a big part of why they get my pre-orders. Other 'big' companies are too used to putting out crap to keep analysts or corporate bureaucracy happy while screwing the customers. I want a good game, plain and simple, and BFC has delivered on that for years.

Hear hear !

Just look at the rubbish that was Rome Total War2 to see that side of the coin. BF have never done that.

I've read the overview, the announcement on this forum and the store page and it looks like there's a critical piece of information missing, you don't mention the release date anywhere!

Their worst case in the last couple of years was 67 days after pre-orders announced. But that was a one off. Since CMBN's Commonwealth module they have been hitting between 39 and 46 days after pre-orders. So I estimate the new game will be available for download between March 11th and March 16th.

Their worst case in the last couple of years was 67 days after pre-orders announced. But that was a one off. Since CMBN's Commonwealth module they have been hitting between 39 and 46 days after pre-orders. So I estimate the new game will be available for download between March 11th and March 16th.

That soon? Nice! I was thinking we were still 3-4 months out at a minimum. But I haven't really kept track of release/pre-ordering schedules at all.

That soon? Nice! I was thinking we were still 3-4 months out at a minimum. But I haven't really kept track of release/pre-ordering schedules at all.

Here is the data I am using:

BattleFrontReleaseData.jpg

I am using the preorder date to ship date time frame as the basis of my prediction and I am also using the last four data points as the basis of the prediction. Using all data points gives a March 7th to March 28th window.

Note: this is just a fun prediction. All this kind of thing can tell you is how long it took them in the past to get from "ready to tell the world" and "ready to ship". What BFC does is not based on release statistics and release windows. They base their decision on the quality of the game. I was just trying to get an idea of a time window based on past performance. One last minute - oh **** defect can toss it all out the window - and that is a good thing.

Here is the data I am using:

BattleFrontReleaseData.jpg

I am using the preorder date to ship date time frame as the basis of my prediction and I am also using the last four data points as the basis of the prediction. Using all data points gives a March 7th to March 28th window.

Note: this is just a fun prediction. All this kind of thing can tell you is how long it took them in the past to get from "ready to tell the world" and "ready to ship". What BFC does is not based on release statistics and release windows. They base their decision on the quality of the game. I was just trying to get an idea of a time window based on past performance. One last minute - oh **** defect can toss it all out the window - and that is a good thing.

There is an error in your sheet. The Announce Date for CMRT was 23 DEC 2013. RECALCULATING.

Actually good point. I should just scrap that column: A) I am clearly not keeping it up to date correctly and B) I did not use it in the end (so no recalculating needed).

I was interested in trying to do some guesstimates and I gather some data. The only dates with any kind of coordination was the delta between preorder and shipping. Simplify, simplify...

Actually good point. I should just scrap that column: A) I am clearly not keeping it up to date correctly and B) I did not use it in the end (so no recalculating needed).

I was interested in trying to do some guesstimates and I gather some data. The only dates with any kind of coordination was the delta between preorder and shipping. Simplify, simplify...

Statistical analysis, witchcraft I say!!

I was gonna check my tea leaves but out of tea this morning and the dog ate my tarot cards. I may have to sacrifice the cat or better yet that dang Chihuahua.

Heh... that's pretty cool! This shows two things:

1. We are tending to officially announce a product when it's closer to being released

2. The time between preorders and release is fairly consistent, with one outlier being Normandy (IIRC something outside of our control happened with production)

Yes, I agree. Your consistency is pretty good. You hit my prediction window for MG too :D But really all in fun because it is easy for a late bug to show up and push things a few days off course and we all would rather the release be a bit off course than ship with some bug you are not happy with.

• 1 month later...
Welcome! Just so you know, we *never* post release dates, but we've *always* shipped within 4-8 weeks. That applies to 15 years worth of game releases, not just Combat Mission, so we've got a very solid track record you can rely upon.

And if there is anything unforeseen that holds up a release we'll be here to talk about it.

Steve

Is there a problem, Houston?