Classic B&W War Films

I noticed the thread on war movie recommendations but nobody list two of my favorite black and white movies:

Battleground 1949 - Movie won an Oscar and inspired Speilberg. Battle of the Bulge movie with zero Apple Pie and Mom B.S. Just about a buch of grunts wanting to get home and fighting for each other.

Hell is For Heros 1962 -Starring Steve Maqueen (Sp), Jame Coburn, and yes Bob Newhart amongst others. A story about a squad on the Siegfried Line. Once again no flag waiving to be found.

Your local video store might have them.

-Keith

On subject of B&W war movies, a couple of weeks ago the Finnish tv showed once again the original version of "The Unknown Soldier". While the movie is far from perfect, its use of music is one of the best I've ever seen on a war movie. The director used a mix of a lot of old military march themes on background. I had not noticed it before (and I've seen the movie some six or seven times before...) that the music depended on the phase of war: when Finns had the upper hand, the music was mostly Finnish or Swedish and then later Soviet themes were used. And it is also refereshing to see a Pz-IVJ masquerading as a KV-I instead of standard Hollywood T-34 as a Tiger gig :).