Q: the Sneak command

Guest L Tankersley

Guest L Tankersley

Can someone enlighten me on the sneak command? I had thought that 'sneak' meant "move cautiously and engage the enemy when sighted" but apparently it means "move slowly and let the enemy kill you in your tracks without returning fire." wink.gif

I had a company of SMG-armed troops in woods with a single pinned/broken/otherwise quiet enemy squad in sight. I ordered the company to advance using the sneak command in what amounted to a dense skirmish line (if that's not a contradiction in terms) up to and past the single squad, figuring that the troops would mop up the single squad, and if they encountered other enemies they would stop and fire, and in the short-range engagements expected in woods my SMG armament should carry the day.

Well, it didn't work out that way. Although about 4 squads had the visible enemy squad targetted, they all advanced to and past the squad without firing a shot. As other enemy squads were sighted, my guys just kept moving up slowly while small arms fire and grenades came sailing through the trees. Most of the company was annhilated in less than a minute by what I'd guess was a single platoon, and I don't think any of my men so much as returned fire. What's up with that?

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest phoenix

Do a search on the sneak command.

I broght this up some time ago as well. Bottom line is the feature has been changed (fixed?) for the gold version.

Pretty annoying when the guys sneak right past the enemy and get shot in the back.

Guest L Tankersley

Doh, I remembered one thread on this but must have missed/forgotten the other. Odd though, that from some of the discussion it seemed like 'sneak' worked as I understood it. ::shrug:: Comprehension problems on my end I guess.

Yeah, got nailed by that too. I was traversing a small patch of forests with a Platoon to outflank the Americans in Chance Encounter. I wasn't sure wether or not two squads who were previously in the woods were still there. I set my troops to sneak through the forest, and run accross an open field to another forest. However, one enemy squad wasn't routed from previous fighting and took a toll out of my troops moving past it. Let alone these regular troops (previously unscathed) were so shaken up that they weren't moving very decisively accross the field. I had 50% casualties with 0 enemy losses. Using the Move command works a lot better, at least in the Beta version. However, it works both ways. The AI blunders into my ambushes with little response as well.