carriers and fow

Need to use a multi-ship patrol protecting the carrier or they are vulnerable. Usually probe with destroyers, cruisers, and bring in Carriers (possibly BB) staying protected within the circle. Carriers have natural 1 spotting range but with upgrades through tech can have 3. Other ways carriers can spot is by using them to search with your planes themselves, and if lucky can use the 2nd launch for attack or go in carrier packs with 1 searching and others attacking.

In the Pacific though need to be wary and usually have multiple carriers with 1 or more always in fighter support of the fleet.

I recommend playing around with it, and say this because for some reason you are not allowed to launched in areas not blacked out which I think is a bug. You can send them out into blackened areas your 1st launch, and then 2nd launch anywherel

Spotting without planes - Carriers in their position without extra long-range ability can see 1 spot and +1 for each long range tech.

Spotting with planes - Carriers can launch 5 spots +1 for each tech

You need to launch into a blackened out area or land area where you can not move. I really think this should be changed to allow staying in position and launching planes without this tactic. Again test in hotseat or playing computer turn 1 with Japs until you get a better understanding of this.

Hi Lofty12, Steel32,

Just to add in case this has been missed, you can keep the Carrier in a static position and once the Carrier is selected, hold down the 'SHIFT' key and the movement cursor will be changed to a red target with a '?' mark in it. This can be used to spot within the movement range of the Carrier.

I believe this can be done with all unit types that can spot and I hope this helps,

Hubert

Hi Lofty12, Steel32,

Just to add in case this has been missed, you can keep the Carrier in a static position and once the Carrier is selected, hold down the 'SHIFT' key and the movement cursor will be changed to a red target with a '?' mark in it. This can be used to spot within the movement range of the Carrier.

I believe this can be done with all unit types that can spot and I hope this helps,

Hubert

Yep this is what I was looking for. Cheers.

Got a another carrier query so may as well use this thread.

In the following screenshot I cant figure out why either of my carriers wont attack the german cruiser which is highlighted.

There is rain/snow in the area but not in any of the carriers and cruiser tiles. And yes, the carriers are on naval/tactical and they haven't moved.

Screenshot2014-02-04093419.png