Elite Replacements

I am on my fifth 1939 campaign with the Axis. I have found that getting elite units, especially ship and air, is very difficult. If you don't have 11 points, and you lose one level from partisans shooting down your medium bombers?, the new replacements water down the whole experience pool, and it is very difficult to make them elite. So, partisans shooting down bombers, and sinking battleships, hot topics for another thread, but losing the experienced crews from small arms fire, is very annoying. Abstractly, we could assume that it's just the cost of doing war, but even losses should teach units something. Yeah?

I would just like to propose that elite replacements are always available.

A modification to just making them twice the cost could be a trained force pool based on an MMP and logistics. For every 10 MMP per turn you get one trained point, somehow modified by logistics, to rebuild units. Or not. I saw something like that in another game, I thought was pretty cool.

I just think that the Panzer general style formations should use the same Panzer general style replacement options.

Hello Gvidjon!

In my humble opinion (and I am definetly not an elite player) elite steps arent that hard to manage if you do it right. If partisans are hitting your aircraft, you're clearly not supressing those partisans effectively enough. Remember to put garrison units around the place (use the p button to see the spots, you probably already know this) and they will supress any partisans in their or adjascent tiles.

The elite steps themselves are all about choosing targets. Demoralize the enemy, and hit them to avoid losses on units you want to build elite steps with. That said, it is very difficult to build experience on naval units, if they dont start with steps. An 11 unit from start is pretty easy, choose targets, and rebuilt at once if you lose a step to 10. Losing the elite step doesnt cost you any experience after all!

I also think that units gain experience from raiding, at least subs do, not sure about other ships. Farm experience for ships by raiding trade lines might be a viable option..

I have been farming partisans in Yugoslavia, but mostly China, to gain experience. I can knock them down with expendable units to one point, and then send in a bomber or use a battleship to finish them off, to get the kill. More than half the time they make a kill as they die. I do not mind the economic element of the reduction, but I would like to be able to retain the unit experience level when I give them reinforcements.

I read that HQ units always have the option of elite replacements. I haven't lost any steps on HQ, but I think I would like a mod the key that option to all units. I think it should be standard in the game. Otherwise, elite units are massively effective. I read one post where elite German aircraft completely stymied any kind of Allied strategic bombing campaign. New aircraft units lose one or two steps, and their green again.

Another option might be a tech, Or something you can bye, so you can start out with a new unit that already has one or two levels of elite status.