Green 9 - 1st Bn The Welsh Guards - Helmand 2009

As I've alluded to the fact I'm working on some other stuff in another thread and by coincidence I inadvertently found a documentary about it on Youtube I thought I'd post the linky now before I forget it and can't find it again:

Here is the linky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyGhLTs0mFw

The mission will be loosely based on this action on 09 May 2009 in which sadly Lieutenant Mark Evison subsequently died of wounds inflicted on this day.

For anybody interested in reading up on this I recommend the book 'Dead Men Risen' by Toby Harden.

Beware, that the book in particular is pretty harrowing. The documentary is mostly helmet cam footage from the day so expect plenty of swearing and images of the effects of war.

This mission will be a while off yet as I'm still only about half way through the map.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the link to the documentary. It was good and will make this scenario even more interesting to try out. Thanks combatintman. If I dident understand things wrong in the documentary the 360 ambush was suffered close to green 5. So I wounder why the mission is named green 9? Thanks again for your authentic work!

R.I.P. Mark Evison.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the promised screenies:

This is the real world overhead from Google Earth:

Green9Overhead_zpscc69829c.jpg

This is the CMSF equivalent:

Green9CMSFOverhead_zpsbb474ea4.jpg

This is an oblique taken from CP Haji Alem which is on the eastern edge of the map looking due west:

Green9Oblique_zps6e3cf367.jpg

For orientation, CP Haji Alem is the compound that is about a third of a way up the map on the eastern bank of the canal. It looks almost straight along the most obvious E-W route on the map.

CP Haji Alem is where you will mount your patrol from and the line of compounds that you see right next to the compass are one of the objectives that you will have to patrol out to.

Thomm - while I am aware of the technique I didn't bother for the simple reason that the canal would have been all wonky and the zigzagging required for the roads/tracks actually makes the ground more interesting when most of them are flanked by irrigation ditches.

Also once I got into this map it was easier than it may look - all I did was take x and y measurements for the junctions and entry and exit points of the linear features and then just drew the intervening road/track sections to fit those dimensions.

Some of my maps have benefitted from the 'orientation to suit' technique although in some cases this is barely noticeable - my CIMIC House map I think needed a very slight tweak in Google Earth rather than slavishly retaining the N-S orientation.

Hey gents,

For those of you that like to model actions in Afghanistan, I thought you would like this recent documentary produced by National Geographic. The narrator is a bit dramatic with lines like 'the last Taliban stronghold' but the episodes have a lot of great HD footage and the show illustrates how combined arms works at the company level, particularly how the USMC applies combined arms.

There are 5 episodes in total and they are all on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EYLeK4hn1E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Imperial Grunt - seen it. If National Geographic had put a map at the start of each episode where the blokes are on a mission in the same way that Ross Kemp did in his two series on Afghanistan or been more specific than 'Zamindawar' about where Golf Company were operating I'd be bashing away in the mission editor. Shame really because it is a good series and the photography is superb.

Imperial Grunt - seen it. If National Geographic had put a map at the start of each episode where the blokes are on a mission in the same way that Ross Kemp did in his two series on Afghanistan or been more specific than 'Zamindawar' about where Golf Company were operating I'd be bashing away in the mission editor. Shame really because it is a good series and the photography is superb.

I agree, it would have been ideal to get a battalion wide perspective to how G 2/5's mission was interconnected with the other maneuver elements. They are barely mentioned. I know the documentary was just about the rifle company but a bit more operational perspective could have added a lot.

At some point one place is mentioned, either in the narrative of one of the episodes or in the blurb on the Nat Geo website. Can't remember the name now but if you type in 'Khenjakak, Afghanistan' into Google Earth it plots into that area.

At some point I might do a semi-historical mission in that area in that, although the Brits are my first love, I do like the USMC TO&E and it would be great to get an Abrams rattling around the Dasht.

• 2 years later...

Looking forward to another well put together scenario.  Made me laugh when I saw the date of the opening post. :)  Glad you found the time to get back to this one.  

I downloaded 'Dead Men Risen' by Toby Harden to my Kindle and have begun preparation for deployment to CP Haji Alem. 

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Looking forward to another well put together scenario.  Made me laugh when I saw the date of the opening post. :)  Glad you found the time to get back to this one.  

I downloaded 'Dead Men Risen' by Toby Harden to my Kindle and have begun preparation for deployment to CP Haji Alem. 

Chapter Eight is your friend here and the map on page 164.

Good news!!  Looking forward to Green 9!!

Also the book  'Dead Men Risen' has a lot of interesting information about the Guards units and regimental system.  Good stuff.

I will plan on crossing the line of departure after I get through chapter 8.  And, of course after @Bootie releases it.