Updates for CMSH ?

I don't think Shock Force is being updated any more - the new game engine features have been put in to the WW2 games, but haven't been back ported to CMSF, and no new modules have been announced for CMSF.

However, what has been announced is a new modern combat misson game set in Ukraine featuring NATO vs Russia, which will have much of the same sort of stuff as CMSF did (apart from the Syrians) but with the more recent CM games engine. So you can sort of view that as an updated CMSF (although not backwards compatable).

Ok thank you. Yes indeed, I saw that about the new version in Ukraine ... and I am happy to return to modern battles!

I'm not too WW2, but that it is only my opinion so I'll look forward to the release of the new version of modern combat. In the meantime, I have something to do with Shock Force yet because I bought there some time and am addicted ! :rolleyes:

BF does seem responsive to constructive nagging. So, let's keep making polite but firm request posts about how much we want an updated CMSF everywhere that is appropriate.

Ok BF - here it is: What do we want? - an updated CMSF!

When do we want it? - asap as long as it doesn't interfere with Bagration!

I asked Steve about this a few weeks back. At some point they are going to redo CMSF. It's gonna be a complete from the ground up makeover:new models, textures, etc. When is the big question. I am gonna guess not before 2016. But who knows? just knowing they want to do it is enough for me at the moment.

Mord.

All the stock scenarios have to be redone so I am sure the Repos scenarios won't work with a new version. There will be a lot to add which will change the way maps play: bridges, water, light and heavy forest tiles, on board mortars, to name a few of the physical changes. Then there are all the changes in the editor and the way the OOB are presented. And there's the stuff that has yet to be added that may come before it's out, like fire, hit decals etc.

The mods will most likely be obsolete. CMSF infantry models (as an example) are very basic compared to CMBN and FI—figure there are way more animations (especially when stationary), better textures, shaders etc. However I wouldn't go getting rid of anything yet. We have no idea when we'll be seeing it.

It's fun imagining how cool it's gonna be! But luckily we'll have Black Sea to give us our Modern fix until then.

Mord.

• 2 years later...

My concern is that if one examines the decreasing number of scenarios, campaigns and mods for each successive CM2 release, we may find that CMSF2 has a tiny fraction of the content currently available to the original CMSF.  I was hoping that the current superb scenarios and campaigns could still be used as I doubt they will ever be updated.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2016 at 11:59 PM, Erwin said:

My concern is that if one examines the decreasing number of scenarios, campaigns and mods for each successive CM2 release, we may find that CMSF2 has a tiny fraction of the content currently available to the original CMSF.  I was hoping that the current superb scenarios and campaigns could still be used as I doubt they will ever be updated.

I just stumbled on this - and I guess I wish to rope in @Combatintman @MOS:96B2P And @dragonwynn whom over time have proved and proved that CMSF scenarios are amazingly refreshing to play especially given the current Middle East situation. I also second the idea / proposal for existing scenarios / campaign not to be wasted for CMSFII :)

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:40 PM, Muzzle Flash said:

I would gladly support bringing Shock Force up to the V 3.0 engine.

Now it would be bringing Shock Force up to the V4.0 engine! ^_^

Best case scenario would indeed be all the scenarios & campaigns surviving the upgrade - fingers crossed. Though I would be in favor of trashing the QB maps and rebuilding them with all of the lastest AI bells & whistles. QB has changes so dramatically since CMSF that they'd probably be obliged to do just that.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My CMSF developed a problem with registration after I upgraded my MacOS to Sierra (I had also moved it to a new SSD). Steve performed yoeman's service over a number of days and nights trying to find a workaround. Unfortunately, nothing worked and he said I'd have to wait for the upgrade with the new engine. That tells me it shouldn't be too long (hopefully this year).