Roof textures

OK; I am able to reproduce this on my system so I've kicked it upstairs for review. I have no idea whether it's a "bug" or a "limitation" of the current rendering engine, but it definitely looks less than ideal so it's something the powers that be should know about. It is definitely related to shaders as it disappears when shaders are turned off.

I actually think I had seen this issue before, but forgotten about it; it's very camera-angle dependent so it's easy to miss if you're not paying attention. Thanks for bringing it up.

Theoretically the latest patch should have cleared up the occasional problem of random art being grabbed to use as normal maps for textures without their own normal maps. Which means they had been aware of this and had worked to fix it. I don't think they're aware its still happening. Time to tell 'em the 'good news' :(

Theoretically the latest patch should have cleared up the occasional problem of random art being grabbed to use as normal maps for textures without their own normal maps.

Would that mean that if you made your own 'blank' normal maps and named them such as to associate them with, for example, these roof textures the problem would go away?

Would that mean that if you made your own 'blank' normal maps and named them such as to associate them with, for example, these roof textures the problem would go away?

I gave this a try and it didn't seem to work (assuming I got the right texture). Several of the current roof textures have associated normal maps that appear 'blank' (wouldn't have an effect in game), so I copied and renamed one of those.

I have noticed this too - though only in the aluminium roofs. It seems to only occur when viewing from certain angles - at certain lighting conditions. But I have had difficulties getting good screenshots of it - that is why I hadn´t reported it.

Edit:

Come to think of it, I´m not sure I´ve seen this since the 2.12 patch.

I've never seen roof textured do this though I have seen other items, and actually I think French roofs do have their own normal maps. I see this more than most because I've got the game open all day working on half-finished art. The problem did actually go away as they were finishing the patch. I don't know why it came back.

OK; I am able to reproduce this on my system so I've kicked it upstairs for review. I have no idea whether it's a "bug" or a "limitation" of the current rendering engine, but it definitely looks less than ideal so it's something the powers that be should know about. It is definitely related to shaders as it disappears when shaders are turned off.

I actually think I had seen this issue before, but forgotten about it; it's very camera-angle dependent so it's easy to miss if you're not paying attention. Thanks for bringing it up.

Thanks, YD. I'll take a look.