Newbie strategic bombing

Hi,

Started learning how to play this again and don't seem to understand strategic bombing. It says in the manual that when an enemy town is occupied/defended by an enemy unit a bomber will attack the underlying town and then (according to some chance) the unit in it. I've tried a couple of attacks with a bomber on a town (at the start of the big ww II scenario) and the unit on it get's damaged but the town never does, unless I make the unit leave the town (by using other forces available to me) and then attack the town. In that case I clearly always see the town loose some strength points.

Is this broken? or what am I missing here?

HI Marvin

I am also a newbie to the game, however, I understand that there are 2 types of bomber:

The tactical bomber unit: bombs the troops/tanks only

The bomber units: bombs the city/mine etc first number then the one in bracket is the chance to destroy some of the troops/tanks

Hi Ouldy1 and Hubert,

Thanks for the kind replies. I can see now where my reading of the manual went wrong: On page 72 it says under 'Strategic Bombing', 'Fighters, Tactical Bombers, Bombers and Carriers can attack resources...', two paragraphs down it then says, 'Bombers can inflict damage on resources even if there is a unit positioned on top of them.' I read this as, 'All of the above can inflict damage on resources even if there is a unit positioned on top of them.' Taking 'Bombers' to mean Fighters, Tactical Bombers, Bombers and Carriers.

What you are saying so (and the manual too :-) is that only Bombers attack the underlying resource if it has a unit on top of it. Fighters, Tactical Bombers and Carriers attack the unit on top of the resource.

One more question about this: What about Medium Bombers? I'm looking at turn 1 of the '1939 World War' scenario in 'Assault on Democracy' and attacking Krakow with the Medium Bomber on grid (182, 75) this seems to only attack the unit. Medium Bombers act like Tactical Bombers in this regard then? Is that right?

Thanks for your time guys!

Hi Marvin,

Glad to hear you were able to sort it out and for the Medium Bombers, this is a new unit to the Assault on Democracy expansion and acts as a bit of an in between unit relative to Tactical and the Strategic Bombers.

It is also correct that it acts like a Tactical Bomber in this regard in terms of attacking a unit on the resource only if a unit is on a resource.

Hubert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I would hope in the next installment of SC, ie SC3, that the players can direct which target(strategic or combat unit) has mission priority with the secondary only having a chance of collateral damage.

How about another pop-up? Something like this, "Intelligence reports that enemy scientists are about to achieve technological upgrade to rockets in location XYZ. Bomb target (factory) this turn in order to destroy research facility"

How about another pop-up? Something like this, "Intelligence reports that enemy scientists are about to achieve technological upgrade to rockets in location XYZ. Bomb target (factory) this turn in order to destroy research facility"

Sounds like a good reward for obtaining level 3 Intelligence.

• 2 weeks later...