Bagration research (and two weather tiles)

RESEARCH

- My AAR had to wait a bit but I played several hotseat games to look at research results.

You have the tech hits for 3 of those games below and unless I'm very unlucky I can confirm some things:

- A) It's of no use for Axis:

1) The probability to get a tech hit before 1945 is very very low for Germans (1%/turn for several techs at some point).

2) Level 5 techs are a rarity: I got only one hit at all (infantry in January 1945 hotseat 1) !

3) Usually (with starting chits) production level 4 will be the first and last hit (in November-December with some luck).

4) I tried a game (hotseat 3) allocating one chit in intelligence for Germans but the hit comes too late to change things.

- B) It works well for USSR:

1) Usually all ongoing starting techs will complete in 1944.

2) First hit is quite random varying from early August at best (hotseat 2) to early October at worst.

(though infantry or tank 4 starting August would probabaly be a game killer :P)

3) However by November all critical fields should be ok giving tech parity with Germans.

4) It's not worth it to reinvest after a hit (that said most soviet techs are already maxed out at level 4).

- It seems far better for Germans to disband chits at start and get those 450 MPPs to reduce Bagration first turn shock. Having intel 3 for Stalin and 1 for Adolf seems to kill that part of the campaign for Axis. Waiting for an unlikely tech 5 late in the game has no appeal though it can perhaps shift victory level by one in certain circumstances. Most games will be decided by hte time you get your tech level 5 and if you're fighting for Berlin-Warsaw you probably won't have time to pull back units from the front (and lose entrenchment) to upgrade them anyway.

- I'm not sure how to deal with that:

1) reduce soviet intel tech to 2 with one starting intelligence chit ?

(it will give more chance for german chits to hit but probably delay soviet research results a bit too)

2) just forget/eliminate german research/chits and give some more starting MPPs to Germans

(or one more ressource somewhere on the map)

3) make german techs happen by event

(not very fond of it but still one way to do it)

4) leave it alone and let player decide it he wants the MPPs or possible tech :P .

Bagration_Tech.jpg

WEATHER TILES

- I also spotted two tiles out of their surrounding weather zones (see pics below):

1) the tile west of Posen

2) the town tile of Constanta

(When it snows the town doesn't have the snowy "skin" like others)

(Probably because it is over a sea/costal tile like its port ?)

Weather_Zone.jpg

Constanta_tile.jpg

Thanks for reading !

• 3 weeks later...