When new patch - 2.11 - will be ready?

Hello BFC team,

My friend has grabbed CMBN + CW + 2.0 update last week

We can't play together because of my version is 2.10

So as the title implies when this patch are planning to release?

According to me, only matching the versions the patches should be released with the new modules for ones not thinking to buy this module also seperately

We can't play our friends together with new patch ? why?

Thanks

I understand the frustration. However I doubt people would be willing to wait to pay MG while the patch for the base game is done. Plus that patch will have few fixes for things found after MG went out. That means that under your plan there would have to be more patches.

But there is a solution you can do now:

In stall CMBN + CW + 2.0 your self. Do it in a separate directory. Now you can play your friend and you no longer care how long the patch takes.

Granted this time around the DRM bug that forces you to reactivate MG each time after you play the 2.0 install is a bit of a drag. I have taken to launch the game via the activate link with the key copied to the clipboard.

I understand the frustration. However I doubt people would be willing to wait to pay MG while the patch for the base game is done. Plus that patch will have few fixes for things found after MG went out. That means that under your plan there would have to be more patches.

But there is a solution you can do now:

In stall CMBN + CW + 2.0 your self. Do it in a separate directory. Now you can play your friend and you no longer care how long the patch takes.

Granted this time around the DRM bug that forces you to reactivate MG each time after you play the 2.0 install is a bit of a drag. I have taken to launch the game via the activate link with the key copied to the clipboard.

But the old module owners should be some rights in order to play with new module owners without waiting

Also new modul owners should not to turn back old versions in order to play with old one owners

If Battlefront think to manage this modular system fairly for all owners

Regards

Stop crying like a little baby and do as you were suggested. The patch will come when it will be ready and devs have never before told the exact date when it will come out. Sucks but c'est la vie.

And sorry for being not nice to you.

Hey mate,

Are you answering my questions? No

Is this question for you ? No - because, you have not such a capacity to understand that I'm not crying or asking for why the patch not released now.

Please shut up and wait the comments of the BFC or anyone who has ability to answer

Sorry for not being nicer than comments of you

Here's a quote from Steve from several days ago. We almost never give out specific dates. Patches and games are released when they are ready.

I can't say when it will be out, but we are currently testing it and we're not adding any new features. Which means we're just making sure it works correctly and that we haven't missed any critical fixes. How long will that take? My GUESS is about 2 weeks.

Steve

In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if everyone would stay civil.

Chris

Because that work is not "free" and it takes time. Further more having two patches takes even more time. Remember by having one patch be a little after MG comes out allows BFC to fix a few things that were in the MG module as well.

So once the work on MG is done BFC could release it and start making a return on their investment or they could wait while they prepare the patch and only make money after the have that patch ready. And then they would need to factor in another patch to address any issues in MG.

This is what is called a no brainier. On top of which you can play your friends right now - just install another version of the game.

Ian has it right. Patches have to be created and tested independently. Which means we could have kept Market Garden sitting around for 2 weeks, totally done, waiting for the v2.10 patch to be ready. Does that sound like a good thing to you? I doubt it :D

Then we get into the next issue. Whenever we release a new game there are always bugs that need to be fixed. So delaying Market Garden for 2 weeks to make a v2.10 patch means 2 weeks longer to get the v2.11 patch. And twice as much work for us to support the older non-Market Garden games because now we have to make patches for those games again.

Making paying customers wait for a free patch that further delays more fixes to everybody is not a good idea from our perspective.

Steve

ok thanks for information Normal Dude,

Second question , why the patches for old game owners could not have been prepared at the same time with new module release?

regards

Well, you can't make a patch until you have a fixed reference point to patch to.

So, once MG was 'done', and the reference point fixed, the patch generation could begin in earnest.

And, since MG was done, it was time to release, to give the value to the people who had already paid (us pre-orderers), or those who were waiting to buy. Why should Battlefront delay the revenue recognition if the MG product was ready?

Waiting for a short period of time for something free should not cause undue consternation. Battlefront could just as easily say "no back-patching", and then where would you be?

Waiting for a short period of time for something free should not cause undue consternation.

Consider this:

17 May 2011 CM Battle for Normandy release

20 July 2011 CM Battle for Normandy v1.01 Patch (PC & Mac)

05 March 2012 Commonwealth module release

21 March 2012 CM Battle for Normandy v1.10 Patch (PC & Mac)

02 August 2012 CM Fortress Italy release (engine v2.0)

07 December 2012 CM Battle for Normandy v1.11 Patch (PC & Mac)

11 December 2012 Normandy 2.0 release

15 February 2013 CM Battle for Normandy v2.01 Patch (PC & Mac)

Observations: there's a new "baseline" patch for each module released, and one follow-up to fix stuff. For all intents and purposes, the 2.0 upgrade is a new baseline version. The 2.10 patch for CMBN without MG should follow in just a few weeks, apparently. The situation is similar with Fortress Italy.

However, note when owners of the 1.xx versions got their last patch. It was my understanding that older engine versions would still be supported for a while following an upgrade, but after almost a year and little word from BFC, who knows if there's anything in the works at all. Being a mean guy, I'm inclined to say that you do have to pay for patches, after all. ;) There was a pretty substantial one that addressed machine gun behavior. Will these changes ever make it to 1.xx?

I wonder how this will look like when more game families are released - patches being few and far between already, with 2 game families "active" and a bunch in the works.

Consider this:

17 May 2011 CM Battle for Normandy release

20 July 2011 CM Battle for Normandy v1.01 Patch (PC & Mac)

05 March 2012 Commonwealth module release

21 March 2012 CM Battle for Normandy v1.10 Patch (PC & Mac)

02 August 2012 CM Fortress Italy release (engine v2.0)

07 December 2012 CM Battle for Normandy v1.11 Patch (PC & Mac)

11 December 2012 Normandy 2.0 release

15 February 2013 CM Battle for Normandy v2.01 Patch (PC & Mac)

Observations: there's a new "baseline" patch for each module released, and one follow-up to fix stuff. For all intents and purposes, the 2.0 upgrade is a new baseline version. The 2.10 patch for CMBN without MG should follow in just a few weeks, apparently. The situation is similar with Fortress Italy.

However, note when owners of the 1.xx versions got their last patch. It was my understanding that older engine versions would still be supported for a while following an upgrade, but after almost a year and little word from BFC, who knows if there's anything in the works at all. Being a mean guy, I'm inclined to say that you do have to pay for patches, after all. ;) There was a pretty substantial one that addressed machine gun behavior. Will these changes ever make it to 1.xx?

I wonder how this will look like when more game families are released - patches being few and far between already, with 2 game families "active" and a bunch in the works.

Something that you might not be accounting for is the fact that some 'fixes' and 'adjustments' only work within the version 2.0 code universe and so can't be back dated to the 1.0 code version. The game code has moved on from 1.0 so all the new 'features' that are in the 2.0 code were made for the 2.0 code. You aren't being forced to pay for patches, you are simply playing a different and outdated game. While you may disagree, MG behavior wasn't broken or bugged in version 1.0 in terms of game crashes, lock ups, freezes, etc. MG behavior was just 'different' than it is under version 2.0.

We never intended to support the previous v1.x beyond any immediate, short term technical problems caused by changes in OSes or what not. Provided they could be reasonably addressed. I had also hoped we could back a few of the v2.0 fixes as a one time "gift" to the v1.x crowd. But it didn't turn out that way for two reasons:

1. Pretty much all players who are still interested in playing have upgraded.

2. The fixes were not easily backed into the old v1.x code base.

It is simply not worth our limited time and resources to fix things for a handful of people that haven't upgraded but still play CMBN. If they REALLY like playing the game and REALLY want the fixes then why haven't they upgraded? Further, why should the vast and overwhelming majority of paying customers have their game experience harmed by us being distracted supporting a handful of people who are no longer paying customers?

Sure, in a perfect world we'd continue to patch older games to fix bugs. But we all live in the real world and that's just not practical to do. So we patch the games until they are stable and playable. No game, no piece of software, is ever bug free and perfect. At some point we have to declare our past games "good enough" and move on.

Steve

Hey mate,

Are you answering my questions? No

Is this question for you ? No - because, you have not such a capacity to understand that I'm not crying or asking for why the patch not released now.

Please shut up and wait the comments of the BFC or anyone who has ability to answer

Sorry for not being nicer than comments of you

OK, sorry togi for being a jerk. I'm usually not one but here and there I lose it. Especially when someone annoys me. And you happened to annoy me after I had a lousy day. These two things combined made me answer in such a manner. Nevertheless I still consider you as a spoiled brat. I'm referring to this particular statement of yours as an argument:

But the old module owners should be some rights in order to play with new module owners without waiting

Also new modul owners should not to turn back old versions in order to play with old one owners

If Battlefront think to manage this modular system fairly for all owners

If I rephrase you: "I wanna things now, gimme, gimme NOW!"

Glad other more civilized persons were able to answer your "questions".

Cheers,

Nejc

• 2 weeks later...

Ah OK - my apologies. The way you phrased your question comes across as a demand.

I'd rephrase it as -"Is there any update on when the patch will be released?" or "Steve said the patch would be ready within one month at 17.10.2013 (http://www.battlefront.com/community...=111853&page=2) and it's now the 15/11/13 any news on when it's due to be released please?"

However please mind that I'm a Scotsman giving advice to someone on a/ how to speak/write English b/ be tactful... ;)

I think given they are only a couple of days late I think it might also be a bit soon to start asking where it is? It could be it's just fashionably late :)

Will the patch also fix the Windows 8.1 problem or is that a different process? I submitted a ticket but will not follow up if it is addressed in this patch.

The windows 8.1 problem is a problem with Windows, not the game, so we can't fix it. Only Windows can fix it.

However, the problem only applies if you upgrade to 8.1 after activating the game. There is no problem the other way around, because, well, again, it's a Windows issue, not an issue with the game. :) In other words, the game runs just fine on Windows 8.1, as on previous versions. What is broken is the Windows update process.

Martin