LOS issues

Yep that's what it looks like. Hope this can be fixed easily, it's pretty serious :P. It's a real shame for this mission too, because that row of houses is the perfect spot to cover an assault on the milk factory from. I think I'll go play the US campaign and hold off on this one till the bug gets squashed.

And apparently it's already fixed, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think MikeyD's guess turned out to be correct! Simple bugs still suck, but at least they get fixed quicker than complicated ones :D

Steve

What about LOS problem like this? Is this something that can be fixed?

post-12542-141867625084_thumb.jpg

What about LOS problem like this? Is this something that can be fixed?

I don't think there's an issue with that LOS. The unit is clearly lower than the ground it's trying to spot. It may be able to spot a unit that is on the targeted piece of ground it the targeted unit is kneeling or standing, but the ground is higher than the eyes of the spotting unit.

Yeah, there was absolutely no LOS problems with the original poster's situation. The problem was the roof type was incorrectly coded. The LOS system was actually behaving 100% correct based on what it was being told to do. It's just that what it was being told to do, and what players see in 3D, were two different things!

Andrew's issue appears to be one of marginal quality LOS due to terrain elevations. I bet if there was a big target moving in front of the Flak gun's position it probably could be shot at. But by default the LOS system draws to a point 1m up from the terrain's surface if there is no target specified. If there is a target then it uses the height of the target to determine LOS.

Steve

As far as I remember it's 1m above an empty Action Spot so a to not be easily stymied by small variations in terrain. If there is a target in the Action Spot then it attempts to hit whatever it can see based on the height of the target. Which is why you can target a soldier behind a wall even if you can't see the soldier's feet.

Either way, it doesn't really make much of a difference in a case like Andrew's. If there is a target with sufficient height he should be able to target it even if he can't target the ground the target is on.

Steve

What I should have added in my situation is:

1. this is after first game turn (PBEM)
  2. gun can see clear LOS behind it (and therefore sandbag wall) to right up to the gun
  3. referring back to point #1, during set-up this gun was showing clear LOS at the ground immediately in front of it and to locations on higher elevation across a valley which was crucial to its set-up. Now it cannot see anything to its front, including areas I had designed as kill zones in set-up
  4. In this same match, I have identified 2 other AT guns behind sandbag wall or low stone walls with exact same situation described above. And one of those 2 guns immediately has taken fire from my opponent's AT on top of an open fill in the distance. My 2nd gun is therefore taking fire from an opponent who can see it clearly, my 2nd gun shows no clear LOS to my opponent's AT gun, nor any of the acres of clear ground on the hill surrounding that other AT gun

So crux of this problem is:

1. Game shows clear LOS during set-up
  2. On beginning of game, all that LOS that was used to locate these guns, disappears (and that is just not right)
  3. while my guys have no LOS, enemies seem to have clear LOS to my guys
  4. It almost seems like sandbag walls and low walls are being treated like high walls (high walls made with one way glass!). And that might be something to investigate from the coding side

As far as I remember it's 1m above an empty Action Spot so a to not be easily stymied by small variations in terrain.

Steve, are you sure it's working this way? I agreed with Michael's assumption, the LOS draws to the ground if no target is in the action square. Otherwise, I can think of a million examples of why it's not working properly.

It sounds like from Andrew's follow up post that the LOS is 1m above ground in the setup phase but after the setup, the LOS uses the ground as the base.

Steve, are you sure it's working this way? I agreed with Michael's assumption, the LOS draws to the ground if no target is in the action square. Otherwise, I can think of a million examples of why it's not working properly.

Head is mushy about this, so best to ignore.

It sounds like from Andrew's follow up post that the LOS is 1m above ground in the setup phase but after the setup, the LOS uses the ground as the base.

Actually, I'm wondering if the terrain deformed like it does for bunkers (a known issue). I've made inquiries :D

Steve

So when will that building's LOS footprint for lack of a better term be fixed?

Soon. We're working on v2.21 now, but we never rush patches out. That being said, we are all looking forward to getting the patch tested quickly and out the door. I'm withholding all candy from testers until this task is done, and if there is one thing testers love... it's candy :D

Steve

Just took out a sherman with a HE shot.. infantry spotted it behind some trees but my own tanks couldn't. But a line of fire might be there if it ain't for the damn tree leaves so I ordered 2 area fire and the other 2 flank around to shoot it from behind... before flankers are even in motion voila knocked out sherman! (not an issue just an interesting bit this one!)