Admiration

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Greetings earthlings, (well it seems like i am on another planet here)

I am a total newcomer to wargaming and turn based games, but after being captivated by the CM articles and your enthusiasm on this forum i just had to write something. I have been browsing over this forum and battlenet for a couple of days now - as well as combat mission HQ. As a traditional gamer i love games like Hidden & Dangerous, Rogue Spear and SWAT 3. I have never yet purchased or played a turn based game even though i am an ardent fan of WW2. But the enthusiasm for this game is contagious, i have to give credit to you guys because i am gonna buy this game as soon as it is released purely based upon what i have read here over the last couple of days. I was introduced to this site from a friend who is a "wargamer" and he suggested i check out this game. I have contributed to other forums for H&D and others, but this must be the most active message forum i have ever seen. One last comment, the other reason i want to buy this game is because i have noticed for the first time ever that a game development team are really listening to feedback from demo players and hardcore wargamers. Now, although i know nuts about wargaming i just know that with this kind of interaction the final game will be a masterpiece. Thank you for introducing me to a new gernre of game, and a new experience - i just know that i will love it.

My first problem is going to be where to buy this game in China!!

Oh and one last thing, from the various messages here it appears that the game will be released in sometime around March 2000. Is this a realistic date?

------------------

English Expat working and living in China.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As a traditional gamer i love games like Hidden & Dangerous, Rogue Spear and SWAT 3.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just had to make a comment... no critisism intended. The first "official" wargame was writen by H.G. Wells, and the is evidence of wargames going back to ancient Egypt. That would make the players of turn based games the "traditional gamers" smile.gif

MMMMmmmm, maybe i should have used the phrase "Normal" gamer eh?

And are you serious about purchasing from this site - surely the game will be available in retail stores...you are just kidding right?

------------------

Guest Madmatt

Nope Combat Mission is Direct from this Web site ONLY . BTS doesn't want to deal with the massive headaches of dealing with a third party distributer. There are details on the main page about their ideals and views on this exact subject.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

Guest coolguy101

BTS has a whole article on this site somewhere explaing why they aint putting it on the market. I agree with it 100%.

[This message has been edited by coolguy101 (edited 12-27-99).]

Ok i get the picture, thanks for letting me know. I guess i have a lot more to learn than i thought for this wargaming experience. This is the first time i have encountered a game which can only be purchased direct.

Is this normal for these type of games? - as opposed to "normal" games of course. Sorry but i had to get that one in!

------------------

Yes, you are absolutely right of course. My line of questioning was merely due to my surprise at having to buy direct - something i have not come across before (probably because i have been isolated in this commie country for 4 years now). Also bear in mind that i discovered this game only 2 days ago and therefore i am not so anxious as many of the tortured souls on this forum to get my hands on a copy. I am patient to wait a while, although i guess if i had been waiting as long as some of you i would probably feel the same. You have my sympathy, i yearn for good old fish and chips like some of you yearn for this game. Meanwhile i look forward to buying my first "direct" game.

Happy new year to you all.

------------------

I have just visited the manifesto page and could not agree with you more. I applaud the "go it alone" stance without those wretched publishers. One contradiction i have noticed is that although you have alleviated, or bypased, the pressure from publishers to ship the game, you face a similar pressure from some fanatical individuals who are badgering you to fullfil their desire. I hope you do not relent and ship the game due to some poor hyperactive grownups that need instant gratification. I wonder how they will amuse themselves when the game is finally released? Apart from the obvious "playing the game" they will have to find someone else to pester on the internet.

CDIC

Guest MantaRay

CDIC, I was wondering where you could get an American game there? And with the subject matter, would it be censored so you would have to sneak it in? Maybe Hong Kong is different, but I would be interested to hear it if you lived in Beijing. smile.gif And watch the email there bro...would think they let you play CM or RS in prison there. smile.gif j/k

Ray

------------------

Ray,

The answers to your questions are yes you can get any games here in China, no they are not censored - unless the game involves killing commies (In which case no-one would dare put them on the shelf let alone buy one) so there is no need to sneak them in. I am not aware of any such type of game anyway! I live in Shanghai and yes i am usually conservative with my e-mail.....but my contract ends soon so what the hell! But thanks for your concern anyway - should i need help you can come bail me out brother. Oh and when you do please bring a copy of CM ok?

CDIC

Guest Capt_Manieri

Why shouldn't you be able to recieve a WWII game in China? The Chinese fought on the side of the Allies in WWII against the Japs. Anyways God Bless you and I hope you get out of the Hell-hole country soon and I hope you are equiped with CM!!!!

PS:You speak Chinese? You must be smart! I speak french and German and I tried to learn Japanese once.....but, damn. Those asian languages are hard to learn!!

Guest MantaRay

CDIC, Hell yes I will come and extract you from there. hehe. And if I had a copy of CM to give you, I would. But one problem still exists...THE GAME IS NOT OUT YET. smile.gif But I will be the first guy on the plane to Shanghi when it does. smile.gif

And Capt_Manieri, the country of China is not a hell hole bro, just the politics suck there. And remember that it is where quite a few of the principals of war were thought up there. And if you ever go there, I would think that you may enjoy it. But no way could I live there!!! CDIC has some resolve living there for 4 years.

Ray

------------------

Any country which invents an automatically-reloading crossbow capable of firing 6 arrows in 10 seconds is OK in my book wink.gif.

The Chinese have always been quite innovative technically. It has just been they've fallen a little behind in the past few hundred years. For the previous few thousand they were among the most advanced races though.

Capitalistdoginchina (great sig BTW),

It is lucky for you that CM is coming out now and not CM2. CM2 will be Eastern Front and it'll be kinda difficult to play it and not kill commies unless you ONLY play as the Russians which would be kinda boring.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Capt_Manieri, you are right - these Asian languages are hard as hell to learn. I can speak survival Chinese, like "get me a lawyer", and "can i have a blindfold please" oh yeah and "please spare my wife and kids"!!

China is a fast moving country man, you guys across the pond have no idea how powerfull this place will be real soon. Anyway it is quite a good place to live at the moment, that is until they read my mail right?

Ray, thanks for the offer to bail me out man, please remember to bring the US marines with you when you come ok?, failing that just bring Ding Chevez!!! (RS)

CDIC

[This message has been edited by Captitalistdoginchina (edited 12-29-99).]

Me and my girlfriend was watching a program on TV the other day about the toy industry in China and I told her that China probably was on the same track as Japan after WW2. I agree totally with you on that China will be VERY powerful (both industrially and military, well actually they already are) in the next century. Personally I think China will gradually soften up while they prosper. It's actually politically "sound" to have a strict rulership if you're building up your country after a plan I think. I do not endorse any dictators or anything all I'm saying is people like Hitler was totally mad but in a genius way and best (worst) of all they had a plan.

Guest Big Time Software

CDIC, thanks for the post. But please, stop now! You are killing me here smile.gif Your last post made me risk waking up my wife I laughed so loud! And since it is about 2:30am here, I will be the one asking for my lawyer and/or a blindfold if she wakes up wink.gif

Steve

Hello Chaps,

Hey how do you make those smiley faces things, I have been searching my keyboard and there aint no smiling face on any of my keys!! It must take you ages to draw those little cuties!!

Fionn, you hit the nail on the head mate..the Chinese screwed up over the last century big time. Prior to that they were an ingenious race, they almost beat the west to be the first to fly, they had tremendous creativity and like many yogurts they had heaps of culture! The Chinese were at the forefront of technology in the late 1800's and inventions were surfacing faster than the west could think of them.

Well you know when i first read some of the messages on this forum i was picturing in my mind the images of "One flew over the cuckoos nest" with Jack Nicholson. Some poor guys are going insane torturing themselves over the release of CM. So i am happy (smiling face!) my humour can somehow alleviate the stress of a hapless few!

Capt Manieri, I would like to quote you on a previous message here....but i don't know how to do that either, another keystroke??? Anyway to pick up on what you said earlier I think the Chinese fought the Japs to save their own arses after they were invaded by the Japs......I do not think they fought for the allies out of courtesy or honour....but i am quite sure on a message forum like this one full of knowledgeable historians and WW2 enthusiasts someone will surely slap me a few times and put me right eh? So gloves at the ready then! White or black, take your pick!

CDIC

------------------

The Sci-Fi Channel is running short emergency messages from the future. One of them says that we should start learning to speak Chinese...fluently. wink.gif

BTW, some of the messages are hilarious. For example, one asks "What are we supposed to do with all these cryogenically(sp?)-frozen heads?". smile.gifsmile.gif

OK. Maybe I'm just easily amused. :P

Guest GriffinCheng

Hello everyone,

"To risk myself by blowing my cover" biggrin.gif I am an enthic Chinese living in Hong Kong (all of my life). This is a place where wargaming, and flight sim, gathers no big fans here frown.gif

To all you guys living in the other side of the Planet, if you think Chinese is difficult to learn, many people find you a little "upper-status" if you speak and write English well. To me, English is a hard language to master. (Would German be easier? smile.gif )

We normally carries all the games from US, except some titles which the distributors think they don't sell (such as the great "Grand Prix Legend"). We can access games from US, European, Japan, Taiwan and China of course. E.g. we normally have EA, European and Sega games (except from Origin) come faster than US stores. For the case of EA, it is due to the fact EA has production facility in Singapore.

From the papers I read here in Hong Kong, the Chinese Cultural Ministry are investating games which Chinese is being shot at like "Delta Force". However, iirc, titles like "Jane's Fleet Command", "Force 21" and "People's General" are surely banned in mainland China. But we can still buy them freely in Hong Kong.

So much for the long post.

P.S. "All titles are trademarks of their respective owner" biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng (edited 12-30-99).]