Kohlenklau Vehicle thread

This is what she is looking like so far. I had some better brush sets but can't track them down. When you save a brushset it seems to save it somewhere else in Adobe folders. I got a lot to learn for photo shop.

I will have to go and google the drippy brus brush sets. I also see that the seams between the 3D sections are really hard to spot on the bmp. I hate to see any cut lines. 

I will call her "Texas Terror" after a photo in a war book I have.

screen5_zpsd8923678.jpg

Daisy and Texas Terror out for a sunday drive. She looks a bit better in the sunlight. But still has a ways to go....

I am excited to see what beauties the real pro modders make for CM Bulge later this year.

I won't blame them to not issue me a union card with the sorry results I always get. 

Just because you have a canvas, brushes and some oil pants, doesn't mean you can paint the effing Mona Lisa!  :D

Screen6_zps26174a3b.jpg

I went back and reviewed a lot of wisdom that kind folks have shared with their posts. Fuser said to always stay away from stock detail such as rivets, brackets, etc. Don't hide it and don't cover it. And he also said to go dark with rust and mud,. desaturate it. He doesn't even use layer masks. I guess his technique just avoids covering the details so he doesn't need the layer mask. 

Hey, I made a bunch of my own brushes. It was easy. 

Photoshop calls them brushes but Fuser calls them "rubber stamps" and I think his term is more accurate to how you use them.

Below show some "brush sets" aka "rubber stamp" sets in action on some works in progress...

A kubelwagen in cross-hatched brush swipes. Still making the rubber stamps for that one to show more variation in the stroke angle and length. And need to hit all the right areas...

A 251/7 in one of my all-time favorite camo schemes, the so called "ambush" pattern. It was a quick stamping and some overlapped occurred and I have to go back and clean-up a bit.

Screen7_zps785175af.jpg

Edited by kohlenklau

This weekend I will finish the sherman snow camo, possibly integrating Aris's recent mod for the Sherman mud version. I am thinking frosty effects on the splattered mud lower hull and then with the whitewash main hull and turret areas as needed. We'll see. But I don't want my amateur efforts to blemish the quality of his fine work. I am also getting some tips from umlaut the human snow machine....

The cross-hatched kubelwagen will go on the backburner but I will try and fix the ambush scheme rubber stamp and finish the 251/7 engineer's half-track.

Then it is off to Ortona!

Edited by kohlenklau

Thanks to umlaut I think I have been promoted from Photoshop Nimrod 3rd Class up to Photoshop Nimrod 2nd Class.

1. I had heard of color charts but never used them to better see what on the bmp goes where when rendered. I will use that from now on.

2. He also gave me another good tip to purchase one of your vehicles in a super tiny scenario and make it a saved game file so it loads quicker for visually checking. Less buttons to click.

Alright, today I do this m4a1-mid sherman in whitewash with snow frost, hell or highwater! 

Shot9_zpsd0ec7c55.jpg

The method that umlaut told me, well, it just doesn't seem to work for me somehow. I must be missing some key step.

The frost is in a layer and it has a layer mask in black and you go into the layer mask with white and as you use it, it reveals the frost down on your main image.

I thought that was all there was to it. Sheesh.... 

But I did work on it and added some runny whitewash and the smokey barrel tip. I got rid of a lot of the white wash I had up on the turret TOP surface. 

Edited by kohlenklau

I figured it out. Wow. With photoshop, one little tiny extra mouse click and things just don't go the way you want.

This worked.

created layer. pasted in umlaut's frosty snow. created layer mask, then fill it black 100%. then draw on that with white brushes. = frost is revealed.

This didn't work.

created layer. pasted in umlaut's frosty snow. created layer mask, clicked on it, then fill it black 100%. then draw on that with white brushes. = jack diddly happened!

This would be umlaut if it was the modding olympics....!

gold_zps27e4eea6.jpg

Edited by kohlenklau

Thanks guys. 

With this photoshop and trying to be "Aris Junior" or "umlaut's little brother"...

I feel like some chump who bought the "Keith Urban 30 days of guitar lessons and Player guitar"....

Everybody has to suffer my tortured twinging and plucking of the guitar strings and the neighborhood cats are singing along....

MAYBE I SHOULD JUST STICK TO WRITING CAMPAIGNS....?

Then again, it is a lot of fun to mod vehicles. I am sorry, you'll all have to suffer! :D

Edit: And whoever gave me 1 star..I know. I know. You woulda gave me zero stars but the rating system doesn't let you. :D

Edited by kohlenklau

Thanks Joakim.

But no problem. Forum threads don't cost so much to rent! 

Photoshop really is a vast tool chest of stuff to master. I just got back some Soviet sapper uniforms from benpark. He actually gave me the raw psd file as well.

He did stuff with certain adjustments on the layer menu (overlay, darken, softlight) that I never even noticed were there.

I am messing with them on my old sapper amoeba coveralls, so if the basement explodes, I went out with a smile. :D

Edit: And whoever gave me 1 star..I know. I know. You woulda gave me zero stars but the rating system doesn't let you. :D

It's the internet. There's always some muppet around.

Don't let it get to you, you are doing a great job and look like you're heading towards being very very good.

Everything is cool! Nothing getting to me. I enjoy the forum and never worry about the stars or when it says "HOT". I am not overly concerned or fishing for a shoulder to cry on. Unless I get to gaze down at a nice set of...ahhh. Never mind! :D

Onward and upward. Gonna go walk the dogs then shop for groceries and tonight my 19-year old son and I will watch "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". 

We've been slowly knocking out the classic Bogart flicks. Already watched Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon. I own "Sahara" on DVD and we've seen that many times.

In our netlfix que is African Queen and a few others. 

Come on over if you are in town! The bad thing about internet buddies. Not much chances for actual face to face comradery. 

You seem to have creative energy in abundance, use it well my friend  :) , or should I say Aris Jr?

I've warned klk to go easy on the amphetamines, or at least share them with me so i can get jump-started back into modding some stuff...but he's apparently a junkie and won't share!

He's a machine, he is!

edit:  The 1 Star always seems to appear for every thread in maps and mods.  It's either a rather dick-ish douchebag of mega proportions sort of fellow lurking in the shrubbery, or some auto-add-a-star from BFC to discourage budding creators/modders.  My guess it's a d-bag.

Edited by mjkerner