Kohlenklau Vehicle thread

shot7_zps33387a77.jpg

...a small attempt at the burned vehicle that could be a flavor object. I think it turned out crappy so I want to move on to other more important things

I also thought to purchase it as a regular one use vehicle in the destroyed status. Though it didn't show up with the door flung opened...EDIT: Is there a door? I think yes but it looks odd. anyway, I think the GMC CCKW is the wrong vehicle to try this on. Soon I will go back to retry my very first attempt in another thread and use the kubelwagen. So, long story short, I was somewhere with my son and saw this man had an amphibious car. her called it an amphicar, made in '64, the year I was hatched.

I said it reminded me of the German schwimmwagen and he said the amphicar was German and designed by the same guy "Hans something or other" that designed the Schwimwagen. Bottom line, hey battlefront, I want a schwimmwagen! when we get? :)

02.jpg

okay, going with the flow, I am experimenting with daisy in preps to soon do a Sherman in white wash, enjoying reading my Zaloga "Armored Thunderbolt" and trying to decide which Sherman to mod.

I copied the layer mask layer and de-activated the original and started working on the new layer. This is just part 1. Kinda came out a grey tone!

whoopsie! I once again forgot those stinking headlights!!

shot8_zpsaee3ff74.jpg

I've got an old squadron signal book "D-Day to Berlin" 1979. I probably bought it in the early 80's. page 28 is a M3 photo in a rare whitewash with black bands camo scheme.

now that looks much better. I erased the entire layer of the grey tone and double-checked I had "real white" TM like grandma used in the 30's and not some generic no-name brand. Then I went ahead and tweaked the opacity up from 48% to 70%.

I also increased my "mop" brush up about double in size.

I got a few spots to touch-up but I think it looks good. Needs some weathering of course.

I wish I could scan that photo from that book to show you what I am trying to obtain...

I guess I could find a digital camera here in the house somewhere...?

My wife is the family photographer but with her new phone, she no longer even uses the digital camera.

After dropping it a few dozen times, it gave up the ghost anyway.

shot9_zps4f4108df.jpg

well, the picture had a special gun shield and I was mistakenly thinking it was an after market dealership add-on but then I purchased a few other type half-tracks and there she was. It is an M3A1. So, I gotta go hunt down the file with the gunshield, it obviously shares the hull and wheel file with the regular M3.

shot11_zpsd6d8c4ce.jpg

found it, painted it. still need the black banding to go up that starboard edge.

shot12_zpsc33176a5.jpg

when I do the black stripe on that gun shield it is kinda a rough stab to find the right place. Here I made it too wide and too far back.

shot13_zpsc76252e3.jpg

ok, this looks better positioned but a bit too dark. the paint was out of the same can and must look the same as other places. Then I have to slightly re-adjust the black on the upper forward doorframe. Also I will cut back on the rust on the black bands "porque de realismo"

shot14_zpsd0ae5dfb.jpg

ok, I filed my "answer".

Last Wednesday she was supposed to go sign a lease but instead called me like 10 times while I was in a training class and my phone is vibrating continuously. She says she doesn't want a divorce and we both crumbled and are back together.

Dang, I think I need the CMBN M4A1 so I can skip those big blotches of Italian theater camo.

16 December is right around the corner. I am way behind in getting a few vehicles finished and a few scenarios written. Please forgive the above mentioned distractions to my CM modding! Fall in love with a woman and your wargaming fun is so hampered....

Thanks for the nice words. I return the salute.

Lanzerath! Great. That will be the Waffen-SS part of the mod. right? KG Peiper?

The screenshot back a few posts looks like you did some whitewash on the PzIV?

...maybe on an Aris vehicle mod with the 312 numerals?

Maybe upload it also?

Thanks again for the scenario and 1 in the pipeline.

I like how you used that image form the other game in the briefing.

Did you ever read "Alamo in the Ardennes"? by John C. McManus.

Really great on all that 28thID delaying before the 101 got to Bastogne.

I haven't read Alamo in the Ardennes though I do have Actually I'm using your paratroopers mod, (At Lanzerath ridge the I&R platoon fight = I.9FJR) I did adjust it a tad to make a higher instance of whitewashed helmets since it seemed that only one guy out of every 8 or so was wearing a camo helmet before.

I haven't read "Alamo in the Ardennes" but I do have "The Key to the Bulge: The Battle of Losheimergraben" by Steve Rusiecki which is a detailed account of the fighting in this area.

And yes the more winter camo vehicles the better. Thanks

Los

Ok I have added a second Scenario

Lanzerath Ridge, Belgium. 16 December, 1944 by Los

For use with the GL BULGE 44 mod

This is a version of the holding action on Lanzerath Ridge with the I&R platoon of the 394th Infantry regiment vs I.9 FJR. w NOTE: This mission was designed for the BULGE 44 MOD by Kohlenklau, available at Battlefront Repository.

Can be played HTH or Single player. Size is SMALL. Has light snow.

Enjoy!

INSTALLATION:

Save the GL Bulge lanzerath ridge.btt to your fortess italy\game files\scenarios directory

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5097/details

Lanzerath%20Ridge.jpg

Los

• 1 month later...
Well, my divorce hearing is on 5 Feb and I took the day off. Everything should be signed and finished and that night I will fire up Photo Shop and get back into the vehicle modding hobby. See you all soon!

sorry to hear that man. I expect doing your taxes is going to be an additional pita. Been there.

Uncontested divorce, no lawyers. About $250 to file, $100 for co-parenting course, about $45 for rocket lawyer for some deed forms. I've got the 10 acres and semi-finished house without a mortgage and the 2 teenage sons, the newer car with the loan, 2 dogs, 2 cats and the rabbit and all the credit card debt. She got the older payed off car and 39% of my military retired pay for the rest of her life and some nice furniture, the Villeroy Boch china in a blue feather pattern I always hated anyway. I got most of the furniture. She took the 4 poster bed. I am back to having the box-spring and mattress on the floor ala 1980's young bachelor style. The Black Lab and/or Wolf Hound mix have taken it as an open invite to hop in and cuddle. So I can honestly say that even though I'm gonna be divorced I don't sleep alone. Sometimes one of the cats even curls up between my legs for warmth. By 2019 I hope to be all out of debt and start travelling again. Looking forward to a tour of Bagration battle areas...maybe meet me a nice Belarussian lady!

Swaggers away to the sound of Elton John's "I'm still standing..."

Thanks for your support!

• 11 months later...

Guess I will blow the dust off this thread and white wash a sherman this weekend.

Step 1: get all my tools in place. My free copy of photo shop. I installed it on my new computer but I need to go into my old hard drive and grab my brush sets...

Step 2: find a suitable sherman to start on. My campaign has M4 Sherman (early) and (mid) and M4A1 sherman (mid). I guess I will look to do those.

The thing about those CMFI shermans is they have that multi-colored paint job. Maybe I will go to CMBN and grab some bmp's.  Maybe that will be easier to work on.

A good thing about having kept this thread is I can go back and see tips I learned and since forgot. Like the layer mask procedure... 

For anyone who thinks I am nuts for making this goofy thread. Look what I can go back a few pages and find...!

How exactly do you make the mask.bmp from a regular bmp?
After I floundered along....Rambler then gave some advice:
"You actually don't need to create a whole new file for your mask. Open up the image bmp and hit CTRL+J. This will duplicate the background onto a new layer. On this new layer, convert it to grayscale, or desaturate it with SHIFT+CTRL+U, and hit CTRL+L to mess with the levels to get the desired effect you want. At this point, create your layer mask and proceed as before."
Someone else told me a tip:
paraphrasing...when you have the new layer above your background, ctrl-c copy your new layer mask image to your clipboard, go active in that new layer, hit the layer mask button, then alt-left click on the new box (on the right) for the layer mask and ctrl-v paste the layer mask file into that box.