H2HH 2.9.0 Available - you need to update

Hi All,

H2HH 2.9.0 is available, directly from this link: http://bit.ly/h2h-helper

You do need to update.

If you don't update, you will cease to be able to use H2HH to chat with opponents who have updated.

I was forced to make this "break with the past versions" due to a library I was using (both in saving your information, and in doing the chat) becoming unsupported on Macs.

This new version also has revamped support for internationalisation, and new French and German translations (thanks to DingChavez and Markus Mohr). We should no longer see the occasional failure to cope with international file names.

It's a much improved base for new things

I would prefer for H2HH to be obtained only through the link above: if you have previously been making a copy and sharing that, because of the hassle of my previous dropbox distribution, could you point to this now instead, please.

As always, if you have any hassles, let me know. The Help->Bug Report menu option is as good a way as any.

Thanks,

GaJ

Can you answer this question: when updating do you do a clean install or can you drop on top of the old version? I didn't see anything on the FAQ page or readme about it and I asked on the Blitz and the guys said just back everything up in case, but no one knew for sure. If I just drop on top, will it keep all my old games or do I have to set them up again? Same question for clean install.

Thanks.

Can you answer this question: when updating do you do a clean install or can you drop on top of the old version? I didn't see anything on the FAQ page or readme about it and I asked on the Blitz and the guys said just back everything up in case, but no one knew for sure. If I just drop on top, will it keep all my old games or do I have to set them up again? Same question for clean install.

Thanks.

I have installed 2.9 on a Mac: it remembers your old games.

With H2HH closed down, I sent the old version file from the applications folder to the trashcan and then placed the newly downloaded version into the apps folder in its place. Start it up, and all the previous games are there in the correct state. Worked for me!

• 2 months later...

Nik B

try this which was posted on another thread by Greenasjade for me. Once i deleted the AppState.txt folder it worked again

Can I check something: this problem didn't start when you changed version of H2HH did it? I'm under the impression that you guys having the problem "didn't change anything, it just stopped working (maybe around the time windows updated)". Is that right?

Anyhow, the error message you showed me tells me that we really need to try to find that file. I might not have given you decent instructions before so let's try a bit better. If this gets too hairy, we can always shout out for someone else to try it

First, you need to follow the instructions that are here, which makes sure you can see "hidden" folders (you can turn this off again later if you don't like it):

Then - you need to be looking at the contents of your C: folder, like this:

Double-click on Users and you should be able to see a folder with your account name on it (I am mgregory):

Double click on this, and you should see a folder called AppData:

You won't see AppData unless you did the "show hidden folders" thing I mentioned above.

Inside AppData there should be "Roaming", and inside that there should be GreenAsJade, and inside that there should be H2HHelper ... and inside there there should be AppState.txt:

First: surely this file must exist, since tryme got past the place where it tests that. If it doesn't, that will be the mystery for us to solve.

The error message you have implies that it does exist. In which case, I need to know what's inside it when H2HH is not working. Can you send it to me? Can you also send me h2hh_log.txt.

Assuming you found it, one other thing you can do is delete it then run H2HH again. H2HH is supposed to create that file if it's not there. Would be good to see if this happens...

That's a bit to get on with

Cheers,

GaJ

Thanks!!!!!!!

I was using an older version and it stopped working for some reason, possible because my opponent had upgraded to another version. Once I upgraded to this one the problem I describe started.

The only problem is I didn't read your entire message and now the log has been replaced. I could try going back to the old version and then upgrading the new one again to see if I can replicate it?