Modern Combat Mission?

Well John H.,

I think that there are plenty of examples during the Tet offensive, NVA attacking dug in positions. Meeting engagements in the bush. Fighting for Hill such and such. Black Opps into Cambodia. I'm sure there was a lot of boredom, as in most wars, but you would filter out all the pointless humping, which, as a percentage, I'm sure was the overwhelming majority. That still leavs lots of battles of a interesting charachter. However, like I said, the scar of Vietnam on the American psyche prohibits this kind of game. It would negativly effect sales, I think. Especially given all the U.S. atrocities etc.

Schrodi,

I think something like Vietnam would make for a pretty slick game, but I don't think the CM engine would be appropriate for it. Since there were very few set-piece engagements, unlike WWII (European theater) and Korea, it would seem rather dull to me to attempt simulating it on the same scale.

The older DOS game "Seal Team" was a lot of fun, and I would love to see how well that engine could be enhanced using today's hardware. Recreating Vietnam on a squad-level/individual control seems much more manageable (and fun!) to me than on a company- to battalion-level/squad control basis like CM.

In my opinion, Vietnam and WWII Pacific theater battles would be the equivalent of filling a CM map with woods and forests and battling it out with visibility of 1 to 2 tiles and the inherent, restricted mobility of the terrain. A real slugfest that doesn't appeal to me at all!

Dar

Guest L Tankersley

Oh dear, Shrodi has made me cry. The lie I've lived for so many years has been shattered. I ... I'm so ashamed. ::sniffle::

For the readers of the forum that AREN'T trolling jerks with nothing better to do than try to goad well-meaning folks into losing their tempers:

Vietnam was not _all_ guerilla actions and ambushes in the jungle. There were in fact battles between regular military units and in urban centers. I know of several Vietnam-era board wargames that cover the war at a strategic level. I'm not familiar with any at a tactical level but I'd imagine they're out there, too.

Leland J. Tankersley

Hi Tankerslely,

Your first two paragraphes can be attributed to some kind of drug re-hab you are attending, I'm sure? But the last, and relevant to the discussion at hand, paragraph supports what I was saying about lots of possibilites for a interesting game. Thanks.

Could you post some examples of these toe-to-toe fights? Aside from Tet battles in Hue, I'm not familiar with more set-piece fights in Vietnam.

And can we actually have a thread on this bulletin board as of late that will NOT degenerate into a juvenile flame war? It really doesn't matter who starts it--responding to it and feeding the fire degrades everybody involved. It's getting more and more difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff anymore with this garbage-flinging going on.

Dar

Guest Big Time Software

Well put Dar. Let's knock it off. If someone is trolling, the *worst* thing you can do is give the person a reason to start a fight. Please leave whatever happened in other threads in the other threads.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

I agree about Korea. And the fact that the weapons and technology was similar to WWII makes it the more likely candidate for us to do vs. modern. However, as stated above, we have a lot on our plate regarding WWII and so there really isn't a whole lot more to say about this.

It's been a good discussion, but I think it would be best if I closed it up this point.

Steve