Hunting and hulldown status

I've tried and tried, but just can't get the hang of this. It's been stated on this board that you can use the hunt command to crest a hill, and your AFV will stop and engage when it spots the enemy, thus providing hulldown status against that target.

What I'm finding is that my tank (poor little Hellcat *sniff sniff*) drives right on over the crest, following my Hunt order to its end, THEN engages the enemy. Meanwhile, since it has followed the Hunt order to its end, it's sitting on top of the crest in full view of the target. Is this a problem with the Hellcat (maybe a barrel depression problem that prevents it from targeting a lower-level enemy), or is it just me?

One other possibility: does the Hellcat 'forget' the target is there, like the AI does, and only spots the target AFTER it has crested the hill (it was NOT buttoned up)? In my test, I Hunted up to the crest to get hulldown status (it didn't work), fired a few times then reversed out of there before getting killed (but after killing the target, a Stug! smile.gif). Hunted forward again, targeting the Tiger, again did not go hulldown, and was killed by said Tiger.

Any ideas/suggestions on what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Johnnymo,

It sounds to me like the Hellcat didn't spot the Tiger.

Wat you should do in future is hunt it to a position that is roughly hulldown and no farther. If it doesn't acquire the target it won't hunt itself onto a forward slope and die and then will start teh next turn hulldown.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Well, I've tried it a couple of times and it seemed to work. In addition to the Hunt command, I also use the target command to specifically indicate my intended target (even if it's initially out of LOS). I don't know if the latter really has any additional effect tho.

Mark

I had it work in Riesberg where I had my Sherman hunt over the crest of a hill and target the 88 in town.

He stopped as soon as he saw the 88 and was nicely hull down to it. Probably what saved his hide during the ensuing gun duel.

I've also practiced in hot seat games against myself to try and eye ball hull down status. I was trying to see if it was possible to get the German armor hull down to the Hellcats. (It is). I then noted how the tanks were situated so I could try and apply that to other scenarios. It was pretty tricky getting hull down to (at the time) non-existent targets.

Jason

[This message has been edited by guachi (edited 11-17-99).]

Doesn't this depend on what's visible to your tank crew? From what I've seen, the tanks don't view infantry squads as a threat, so they don't bother to go hull-down. So in this case, I too have seen my tanks cruise over the crest of a hill and down to the Hunt point.

But if there is a vehicle visible, they will react and go hull-down (or move back into cover).

This is probably correct behavior -- Hunt means hunt for another tank!

Of course, I could be wrong. smile.gif

Nick

SimonFox, I zipped the Hellcat over to a depression to the right on the top of the hill which put it out of sight of everything, then rotated and hunted over the crest.

MarkL, targeting may be the solution. I thought I had targeted each enemy AFV each time, but with all the path making (I only have a 2meg video card, which doesn't do so well with the paths as it tends to 'jump' thru higher elevations. I generally have to go to a top-down view to set paths to avoid this) I may have somehow cancelled the order.

clcaldwell, the enemy tanks were in full view, as they returned fire without moving (other than rotating to face me). I'm also pretty sure the tank won't, on it's own, reverse into a hulldown position if it finds itself non-hulldown.

Fionn, I think next I'll try Hunt forward (say halfway), then Pause, then Hunt forward (say halfway of what's left), then Pause, etc. It seems that would work(?).

So it sounds like, if I'm doing this Hunt/hulldown maneuver correctly (which may not be the case, knowing me), the problem is that my Hellcat is not spotting the Tiger, and thus needs to be placed precisely at a hulldown position by me. I will work on it some more and report back with any new info I find.

BTW, thanks to you all for replying to what appears, on rereading, to be a rather whiny initial post. redface.gif

[This message has been edited by johnnymo (edited 11-17-99).]