Flamethrower in a plain wrapper

Guest Rhet Schmidt

Guest Rhet Schmidt

All this talk about flame throwers got me more interested in their capabilities (Max range, effective number of uses etc.).

Steve in an earlier post you said that there would be six seconds of fuel per each FT. This seems to indicate that all FTs' are modeled the same regardless of nationality. In comparing the capabilities of the American, German & Brittish FTs'I found the following: The American FT had 2 seconds more fuel and ten yards more effective range than the next best (German) unit. The additional fuel the Americans had could make a significant difference especially if the unit gets trigger happy. You guys have probably modeled each nationality's FT in accordance with its actual charicteristics but, I just wanted to confirm this.

------------------

Rhet

[This message has been edited by Rhet Schmidt (edited 05-04-99).]

Hehe..

Oh boy flamethrower types..

For anyone's amusement my favourite would be the Einstossflamenwurfer (sic?) going from memory with the spelling here which was a one shot flamethrower (could be carried by any infantryman etc)..

I'd just love to load up an entire company with them and engage in some night city fighting ;)..

Now THAT would look great.

If BTS is going to model every model of flamethrower then its going to get pretty intense and difficult since Germany had about 5 different types in total (with pretty similar BUT slightly different characteristics).. I'm not sure if its worth the trouble to model each and every type individually.

|

Fionn

Guest Lokesa

Wasn't that one shot flamethrower you mentioned basically just a disposable tube filled with flammable peopellant? I wonder how much confidence the average infantryman had in those things.

Guest Rhet Schmidt

"I'm not sure if its worth the trouble to model each and every type individually."

Fionn, I agree completely, not every FT for each nationality should be modeled. I was thinking of the most common type for that particular nationality.

If memory serves, the eintossflamenwurfer was developed for the fallshirmjaeger. This single shot FT was intended to help parratroops knock out hardened defences durring an airborne assault.

------------------

Rhet

Guest Big Time Software

Rhet, this is exactly what we do. Each nationality has its own flamethrower type. The Germans are using a Portable Model 42. It does something like 5-6 3 second bursts for 25-30m (or was it 35M? I forget). However, we are having a HARD time getting data for US and Brit flamethrowers. We have weapons books out the wazoo of both nations, but nothing on FTs. German? Shoot, we could tell you the stats of the Static Flamethrower used in fixed fortifications, or the one mounted on the 38t, but damned if we can find something as common as a standard US flamethrower smile.gif I'm sure if we dropped everything and looked for this info we could find it, but obviously this wouldn't be a good use of time. So... can anybody give us stats and cite a source? Would be a big help!

Steve

Guest Rhet Schmidt

"So... can anybody give us stats and cite a source? Would be a big help!"

Source: The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II, 1998, Barnes & Noble, Inc., General Editor Chris Bishop, ISBN: 0-7607-1022-8

Stats: (quoted from the above reference)

American:

Name: Portable Flame-Thrower M1A1

Weight: 31.8 kg (70 lbm)

Fuel Capacity: 18.2 liters (4 gal)

Range: 41.0-45.7 m (45-50 yards)

Duration of Fire: 8-10 sec

British:

Name: Lifebuoy (looks just like one too)

Weight: 29.0kg (64 lbm)

Fuel Capacity: 18.2 liters (4 gal)

Range: 27.4-36.5 m (30-40 yards)

Duration of Fire: 10 sec

Note this book also gives stats for the Allied FT Tanks. Please let me know if you would like me to provide this information as well.

In my first post I made a mistake. redface.gif I was comparing the Allied equipment to the German Flammenwerfer 41 not the 42. My apologies.

------------------

Rhet

[This message has been edited by Rhet Schmidt (edited 05-05-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Hey Rhet, thanks a whole bunch! Charles will be cutting and pasting that stuff in soon. We'll let you know if we need Allied FT tank data. I think we have that.

Steve