Some comments on a Pbem game played to the last turn

Hi

I have just finished a PBEM game of the Barbarossa 41 scenario. I played Germans and in the end I scored a minor victory by holding Warsaw while my opponent only managed to take Helsinki.

Game experience has been wonderful, it was a tough match with many alternatives and you really get the feeling of fighting in the vast spaces of the Soviet Union.

I would like to make some suggestions as well.

1) After the Soviets took Helsinki the Finnish units didn´t surrender, the Finnish air unit kept fighting to the end along their German allies.

2) Apparently NM plays little part in this game, however I would note that in my match the Soviets hit the 0% NM by 1943 while I was still at 40%, for the rest of the match I keptd dropping while my opponent could not drop a single point as there is no negative NM. That seems odd.

3) In the last 10 turns or so there is an "end of the world" effect. You don´t buy new units because they will arrive after the game is finished, and you mass almost any unit around the game objectives. I would suggest to make the end a random date, maybe dependant on events that could be bought, so that a player buys to extend the fight another 10 turns, for instance. Just to make players uncertain as when the game will end.

We're also finishing a PBEM game of Barby '41 with the extended Berlin map. It's now April '44, we've played over 100 turns each, and we're still having a blast with it. Many thanks to all involved in this great game!

We're still using version 1.01, with no hotfixes, so my apologies if these issues have already been addressed.

1. It's not just Finland - Persia didn't surrender either, even with its only unit destroyed and every village taken. Not sure about the other countries yet, but we'll find out about Hungary soon...

2. I think the way the Allied invasion of Italy is managed is great, especially with the liberated area on the map creeping northwards. It's a pity this stops soon after the first landing on the mainland. Later on there's just a message that Rome has fallen, though it doesn't appear on the map. It also seems a bit odd that Italian units fight on in Russia even after Italy surrenders.

3. I'm also a bit confused about the role of NM. Based on my experience with the WW1 game, I've been trying hard to keep my NM level as high as possible, but if hitting 0% has no effect then obviously there's no point. That would be a pity, as I think NM is a very good way of discouraging people from using their forces recklessly.

OK, got to go and find a way round the Dracula Line (an enormous series of fortifications in Rumania, between the mountains and the sea).

3. I'm also a bit confused about the role of NM. Based on my experience with the WW1 game, I've been trying hard to keep my NM level as high as possible, but if hitting 0% has no effect then obviously there's no point. That would be a pity, as I think NM is a very good way of discouraging people from using their forces recklessly.

Hi Karhu :) ,

- Morale has less importance in WWII since most countries (at least major ones) were ready to fight to the last man. Not sure about that but maybe NM in AoC has an effect on units morale ? Even like that you'd need more than some points in difference to see noticeable consequences.

- One thing that could be interesting would be to penalize MPPs production if your NM hits 0. Something like a pop window telling you that to quell growing internal dissent (or restore faith in final victory :D) you have to distract 50 or so MPPs per turn. more or less like the events for Axis' western front (Italy, air defense of the Reich and such).