What's not good.

Bit of a contentious question for those who have played CM and I hope not to start a slagging match.

What isn't good about CM?

I've yet to read anything derogatory or any queries that haven't been superbly answered by BTS.

Surely there's something that's annoying.

Does infantry still roller skate across the ground for instance? Again, if they do, it won't affect gameplay.

CM is still only Beta, so it's really hard to answer that question. If I find something "annoying" I tell Charles or Steve, and it's usually fixed with the next build. There are of course always ways to make a game even better (more terrain, more units, more everything), but the core game engine is absolutely sound even at this stage.

And by the way, many things that have come up on this board here are really a non-issue when you're actually playing the game (like the moonwalk or the whole dead bodies thing).

This is purely an outside view but it seems difficult to keep track of what units have taken casualties, I believe you have to click on a unit to see if has taken a casualty. It also seems difficult to keep track of what units you have given orders to. And making sure that you don't have any units standing around twiddling their thumbs.

[This message has been edited by Darstand (edited 10-06-99).]

This is an outside view too, but I think that the number of figures depicting a squad lowers when it gets hit. Now, for support units, there is only one figure, so thats not too useful. Also, if you are playing with two figure squads, you'll only know if a unit is under or over 50% without clicking on it... It'll be interesting to see how much this affects the game (I dunno, you might be clicking on all the units anyway to give orders...)

As for the orders, I think it shows all of the units orders depicted as different colored lines. At least this is what I've gathered from some of the screenshots in Moon's AARs. So you can tell which units don't have orders by which don't have lines. That being said, I remember at least once early on his game Fionn forgot to move a platoon HQ up with it's platoon...

Ben,

Yup I forgot to do that BUT it wasn't cause of a game fault it was quite simply because I was so rattled by the artillery barrage in the clearing.. Steve will tell you that I was freaking out in emails I sent to him about Martin's artillery and I made a LOT of mistakes in plotting in the space of about 3 or 4 turns.

Those mistakes weren't really errors in the game but just a reflection of how rattled I was. FWIW you can simply press a hotkey and have ALL movement paths shown onscreen so that you can spot any units which aren't moving... That I forgot to do that isn't a game problem but a manifestation of how rattled I was by Martin's artillery strikes.

Those artillery hits really rattled me and kinda made me make a lot of panic moves.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Here is the HONEST answer from me. Take it for what it is worth...

I honestly don't think there is anything to gripe about in CM. Sure, it isn't perfect, there are things that need to be improved, and there are many things we would like to get in but won't. However, at the end of the day I step back and think...

"what wargame even has 1/100th the detail, gameplay value, realism, and pure coolness as CM?"

The answer ALWAYS comes back:

"None are even close"

The point here is that whatever "failings" might be found in Combat Mission, they are 10 times worse in other games and/or not even addressed at all (i.e. can't compare what isn't there!). So on a relative scale, there isn't really anything to bitch about wink.gif

Tgra's "roller skate" example is one such thing. Is the way units on the move animated 100% realistic all the time? Nope. But does it have anything to do with the game itself? Nope. Now, compare it to other games out there...

CC 1, 2, 3 (and I presume 4) - same problem, but the guys are little ant sprites so it is much harder to see (I've always noticed it).

SP - uh, are those things supposed to be guys? smile.gif

Panzer General - Not really anything to compare to. Units are abstract and move from Point A to Point B.

EF/WF - See above smile.gif

PITS/TITS - Better make no comment here other than smile.gif

Point here is not to excuse CM from any "failings", but point out that NOTHING will EVER be perfect. So when I compare two games together, I judge them for how each does in relation to the other with historical factors, gameplay, interface, etc. as the tests. Using this mindset, CM has no failings that I can see versus any wargame that I have ever played, at any time, board or computer. Perfect? Nope. But I really can't complain since it is light years better than anything I have ever had the priveledge to play.

In the end, with CM I can use REALISTIC tactics, in REALISTIC ways, with REALISTICAL units, in a REALISTIC setting, all inside a game system that is easy to use, wonderful to look at, and very cool to the ear. All the rest is just icing on the cake wink.gif

Steve

Guest John Pender

Brain Rock, LOL The more I read it the more I laughed. Maybe Im just tired from a 24hr watch Im not sure but thanks for the laugh.

Guest Big Time Software

FYI, and FWIW, when HPS came out with TITS we said WTF smile.gif

Kevin, I try (now figure out what that means smile.gif)

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

I don't know when Charles and I started thinking it was called TITS, but you just RUINED one of our favorite jokes, like->

"Combat Mission is better than two TITS" smile.gif

OK, I should probably lock this one up before someone tries to breast my TITS jokes wink.gif

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 10-08-99).]