Urban Combat: share your tips and techniques that work for you

...in a QB against the AI, as a test, I had the LMG deployING in the walled room, blue line faced toward where enemy were approaching the house. The team with the DC have to blast toward the wall targeted for destruction, I paused the demo team a few times to allow the LMG to be fully deployed, and whammo! the wall was blown and my deployed LMG team had the drop on the enemy who thought they were heading towards a building with no windows.

Since this was 2nd floor, the demo team then tries to do the usual post-blast movement, but they cannot run out a 2nd floor opening so instead they go down the stairs and I could stop them before they ran out into the open. 3rd floor would give you even more time to stop them.

Maybe off-topic, maybe not, but which is "better",

A. 4 or 5 man team bunched up around 1 or 2 windows attempting to spot and aim and fire out, wall might be of only limited protective value.

OR

B. the wall is blown, now no bunching up, wall is gone, so no protective value, so they go prone, maybe like being in rubble? and it seemed that inward spotting was not perfect, i.e., the enemy out there looking in did not see all my team members.

Any comments?

The question I suppose is whether the rubble of the blown wall is modelled and provides cover. Ideally it should be.

Oh that sounds good. So, you added a hunt order and a target command at the end. Then the HT spotted the gun right away and still fired. Do I have that right? Sounds like that will work for spotted targets but not for area fire.

The HT did not spot the gun. The target order at the end of the HUNT line was for area fire. When the turn started The HT did not move, and area fired between the two buildings. The shell lands at the back of the gun with the explosion knocking the gun out. The HT had LOS between the two building from the start, but did not get a LOS reading becuase it could not see the center of the AS, only part of it. Again I do not think this "gamey"(whatever that means when one is playing a game ;), but rather allows targeting on areas where only part of the AS can be seen.

Again I do not think this "gamey"(whatever that means when one is playing a game)...

Good question. I think what we usually mean by 'gamey' is that something is possible in the game that was either not possible in the real war or was maybe possible but for good reason not done. In other words, an exploitation of a modeling failure of the game.

Michael

Ok all you gamey bastards out there no more moving the camera above level 1 unless ww2 troops had wings so they could fly over the battlefield ;) I think the game environment will always be unique from reality, and therefore “gamey” from reality. In other words the game can’t be taken out of the game otherwise it would not be a game, but reality instead.

• 1 month later...
I'll start with something I discovered about a week ago.

Thanks for the tip .. :)

I tried this today across a piece of large open ground in CMBN and every time I clicked and grabbed the end move point to drag it backwards, the targeting line disappeared?

In other words, it doesn't stay locked on the end point as it does in your building example.

Am I misunderstanding how to use this technique?

Regards,

Doug

BaDgerDogbattlefront deleted this on latest patch.It was a really useful tool to know when I was in hulldown or not.

Regards

Thanks... appreciate the info .. :)

Being an old Sherman tanker, I find the LOS system an awkward design to be able to truly simulate how the real life Sherman CC and gunner interacted with "turret down" and "hull down" views.

Normally, as a CC, I would move into a "turret down" position then push myself up out of the cupola, sitting on the cupola rim and viewing open ground ahead of me with my binos. The enemy wouldn't be able to see anything except the top half of my body and perhaps "glint" off my binos if I hadn't hessian'd them.

Can't see to do this with the game and I seem to be getting bagged a lot by hidden enemies who have the same LOS as I do, but are able to shoot and hit me when I can't even see them. Gets frustrating at times ...

Regards,

Doug

Follow up...

In thinking about the LOS issue, in my opinion, it would be more realistic if they added 6 foot additional height to viewing LOS of tanks that are unbuttoned ...

It would represent the crew commander's ability to be "turret down" and stand on top of the turret to view over obstacles, just like we used to do in real life..

The one thing that's very poorly modeled here is the distance and accuracy a CC can see when closed up. It's very unrealistic, at least in the Sherman. You can't see squat through the armored glass and viewing any distances is impossible.

I've never seen any substantial change in viewing accuracy, speed or distance whether a Sherman CC is closed up or unbuttoned, except unbuttoned he gets whacked a lot by small arms fire.

Regards,

Doug

Follow up...

In thinking about the LOS issue, in my opinion, it would be more realistic if they added 6 foot additional height to viewing LOS of tanks that are unbuttoned ...

It would represent the crew commander's ability to be "turret down" and stand on top of the turret to view over obstacles, just like we used to do in real life..

The one thing that's very poorly modeled here is the distance and accuracy a CC can see when closed up. It's very unrealistic, at least in the Sherman. You can't see squat through the armored glass and viewing any distances is impossible.

I've never seen any substantial change in viewing accuracy, speed or distance whether a Sherman CC is closed up or unbuttoned, except unbuttoned he gets whacked a lot by small arms fire.

Regards,

Doug

I think this if they made the change would really improve the game (people would complain) but it is something that strikes me as not right.

When I got to stick my head in the Tiger I wanted to try and see what view would be like to compare... My feeling is that it would not be much better for the Germans.

But as I have no experience it will just be IMO...

Good to hear from someone who has lived and worked in a Sherman add weight to the argument to reduce the spotting from tanks...