Bridge Crossing Issues Revisited

settle down.

Why not spend a little time and use the search tool.

Steve mentioned in a thread somewhere that bridges and how they work have been modified for this upcoming mod.

As I recall, there was some mention as to having multi lane ability also for some bridges.

So we will just have to wait and see what changes have been made.

But no matter what, you will have to learn to play with what is given.

Don't tell me to "settle down" please, what are you a Vulcan? Sometimes people get a bit excited about things that interest them. I apologize if that bothers you.

The search tool really doesnt provide any information on Market Garden Bridges, it does however recite a littany of movement issues involving bridges in CMBN.

I played the Huzzah battle back when CMBN first came out, at that time my PC did not have enough horsepower to play the battle properly. That was maybe two years ago. The pathing issues on bridges rather slipped from my mind until I played another battle with bridges on a newer graphics card and discovered that they were still there. I have not been actively posting on this issue until now, only because of the hype and anticipation of the Market Garden release. I also realize that nothing is perfect and the CMx2 engine has gone through a lot of work in order to produce the great product that it is now.

I would just think that someone from BFC, maybe Steve, would make a statement about whether or not special waypoint control actions will have to be taken on bridges in the new release.

I always switch to view 8 and scroll back down with the mouse to place waypoints on and around bridges.

Hmmm, curious. Nearly always when I need to place a waypoint precisely, I am in view 3 with the camera directly over the spot pointed vertically downward. Different strokes, I suppose...

Michael

Well there is also the fact he is having the problem on the Huzzah map.

If I remember correctly, that map had more problems than most. Something about the way he designed the map bridges was adding to the problem that is being discussed.

But really , it has to do with not taking the time to put waypoints on both ends of the bridges, maybe we should not have to do that. But in the last couple of years, I cannot remember having the problem more than once or twice and that would represent at least 300 to 400 units sent over bridges in that time frame.

So I do not see a big issue, plus I am sure with these new large bridges, they have figured out how to allow us to put way points and stop points on the bridge so that we can control units on them now.

So we will see when it comes out, I know one thing for sure, they are not going to start some new type of programming for it at this point, whatever they have done, they have done and we will be able to judge their efforts soon enough.

Hmmm, curious. Nearly always when I need to place a waypoint precisely, I am in view 3 with the camera directly over the spot pointed vertically downward. Different strokes, I suppose...

Michael

different ways of getting the same result.

I press 8 and then scroll the mouse button until i get close, you press 3 and angle the camera down with the right mousebutton (i think).

Result is we both plot from a top-down view :D

So I do not see a big issue, plus I am sure with these new large bridges, they have figured out how to allow us to put way points and stop points on the bridge so that we can control units on them now.

So we will see when it comes out, I know one thing for sure, they are not going to start some new type of programming for it at this point, whatever they have done, they have done and we will be able to judge their efforts soon enough.

I honestly hope you are right.

But really , it has to do with not taking the time to put waypoints on both ends of the bridges, maybe we should not have to do that.

Why not? I put waypoints on both side of any kind of obstruction I need to have my men cross, like going through hedgerows. Why should bridges be excluded? The fact is that pathfinding in the game can get a bit squirrely and your units need to have their hands held sometimes. The game cannot read your mind and often needs to be told explicitly what you want it to do. Given the current state of AI in general, I don't find that at all odd. CM is an exceptionally complex game with many branching options of interpretation and action, so this is even more true than for simpler games.

Michael

different ways of getting the same result.

I press 8 and then scroll the mouse button until i get close, you press 3 and angle the camera down with the right mousebutton (i think).

Down arrow actually.

Result is we both plot from a top-down view :D

Exactly my point. My method seems easier to use for me, but it isn't hard to see why yours would be preferred. Like I said, different strokes...

:)

Michael

Why not? I put waypoints on both side of any kind of obstruction I need to have my men cross, like going through hedgerows. Why should bridges be excluded? The fact is that pathfinding in the game can get a bit squirrely and your units need to have their hands held sometimes. The game cannot read your mind and often needs to be told explicitly what you want it to do. Given the current state of AI in general, I don't find that at all odd. CM is an exceptionally complex game with many branching options of interpretation and action, so this is even more true than for simpler games.

Michael

Very true - I even use extra waypoints when I want my guys to go diagonally since they have a habit of going straight then making a sharp turn near the end of the path. Sometimes that would get them into trouble.

Speaking personally, I've not yet had any bridge issues, but I have always done the "waypoint each side" thing.

Well what came out recently was that only some of us with the AMD cards were experiencing the goofy way point behaviour because of that setting that @Schrullenhaft told you about here: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1463852&postcount=14 (which was there to work around a bug in early AMD Open GL implementation).

I personally keep forgetting to try since I have no battles going on with bridges right now (at least running the newest patches anyway). I would love to either remember to try it out or have some one such as your self try it out and report if it works or not.

I am happy to report that with the setting in the off position was able to set way points around and on a bridge with the 1.10 version of CMBN. So this issue is resolved as far as I am concerned.