AXIS - CMBN-Market Garden - BETA AAR

Hello Bill,

Hope the "personal issues" have been resolved harmoniously.

Regarding "battle issues", I would like to hear your opinion on sdkfz gunners and their incredible death rate. Do you think they die to fast? (There have been fierce discussions in several threads on this subject.)

It's good to have you back, Bill.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI I am going to end this game with Ken. I simply do not have the time to devote to this AAR or the game in general right now.. I have to focus on other personal stuff.

I hope we can wrap it up this weekend and do a final debrief. Ken has played a masterful second half of the game.. well done to him.

Bil

I think most will certainly understand. Even serious hobbies are, after all, just hobbies. Real life gets in the way sometimes.

Let me express appreciation for all you have contributed in these AAR's. You really do have people hanging on the edge of their seats.

I sent the final file to Ken who achieved a tactical victory. I believe the difference was the fact that he held the town objective and the church objective (which I had meant to delete as well, oh well). I did not claim the intersection objectives as those were a mistake also on my part, I made sure they were unmanned.

Good job to Ken! He played a great last half of the game. I'll join in the debrief conversation in his thread.

Bil

Actually the confusion about objectives lent a rather interesting level of FOW for the game. It was pretty entertaining from our seats to watch the two of you plot moves based on perception of goal. It also highlights the fun to be had with setting up VLs for a scenario where they are dissimilar.

Good show both of you, I think we were all entertained every bit as much as we'd hoped.

This has been a great deal of fun to read from my perspective!

I -thought- I was overmatched by Bil's play: now I -know- just how badly overmatched I was by his play!!!

I shall learn from the master. Then, while he sleeps, I will attack. ;)

Bil: outstanding AAR. Thank you.

Ken

Bil, that’s a bummer this one couldn’t go to the end, but real life issues must always come first understandably. Thanks for putting the time in that it takes for a nice presentation. I don’t think anyone would object to a rematch between you two down the road since this was a very interesting fight between players with different styles of play.

Just as a thought I wonder if having a “second in command” player as an alternate to continue the fight if something comes up is a good idea for these preview AARs. This person would agree not to read the other sides thread too, and could be called in to continue the game if need be.

Just as a thought I wonder if having a “second in command” player as an alternate to continue the fight if something comes up is a good idea for these preview AARs. This person would agree not to read the other sides thread too, and could be called in to continue the game if need be.

That's a thought, but it might be hard to implement satisfactorily in practice. The second player would I think have to be comfortable and adept playing in the style of the first player, and they would have to be in agreement over strategy. That might be a lot harder than it sounds and serious divergences that could emerge could lead to bad feelings. None of this is to say that it shouldn't be tried, but that any players who intend to embark on this course should take full consideration of the hazards.

Michael

None of this is to say that it shouldn't be tried, but that any players who intend to embark on this course should take full consideration of the hazards.

Indeed, the sub should be cognizant of the fact they'll be starting "in media res" but I'm sure there are plenty of folk who wouldn't mind that, even absent any agreement on strategy; many would find it agreeable to have to pick up whatever the state of play, given that it's a demonstration with nothing riding on it. Whether they could sustain the quality of the AAR is probably a much thornier question :)

Indeed, the sub should be cognizant of the fact they'll be starting "in media res" but I'm sure there are plenty of folk who wouldn't mind that, even absent any agreement on strategy; many would find it agreeable to have to pick up whatever the state of play...

Which is fine for the second player. But what about the first player leaving a winning game and then coming back to find that while he was gone the second player totally messed up? I can see friendships ending pretty quickly over that.

Whether they could sustain the quality of the AAR is probably a much thornier question :)

Indeed. There is also the question of the quality of the reportage quite aside from gameplay issues.

Still, as I posted earlier, if any brave souls want to give this a try, I say go for it.

:)

Michael

Which is fine for the second player. But what about the first player leaving a winning game and then coming back to find that while he was gone the second player totally messed up? I can see friendships ending pretty quickly over that.

Ah. I wasn't imagining the first commander would be returning to post... Yes, if it was a temporary "blood replacement", there would probably need to be some understanding, even if it was "don't worry if you mess up..."

Ah. I wasn't imagining the first commander would be returning to post... Yes, if it was a temporary "blood replacement", there would probably need to be some understanding, even if it was "don't worry if you mess up..."

Hee hee. What I had in mind was more along the line of "If you mess up, the headsman here will take care of you. Not that I want you to feel under a lot of pressure, you understand."

:D

Michael

• 2 months later...

I agree with Vark along with JK ( who also mentioned it awhile ago ) in that SMG fire is alittle to effective.

I have been playing v1.0 ( patched ), and think Small Arms in general is lethal enough, and from what I understand it's even more so in v2.0

Many players can loose upwards of %50 during a scenario, and think nothing of it...I can't pin-point why, but I think it has something to do with Units Spotting or Reacting to quickly, or the Suppression to Casualty ratio differences, or Firefights just develope to quickly, etc.

I can see why in a CMx2 'Campaigns' troops dont carry over from battle to battle ( instead you get different troop dispositions each scenario ), because there wouldn't be anyone left to carry over.

Joe

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...