CMPzC Bulge '44 Crossroads Operation - Axis HQ

Guten Tag,

I'm the Axis CO for a short operation using noob's CMPzC System.

I asked noob if we could do a little Bulge 44 using winter 43 CMFI as a stand-in. After he called me a "Bulge boy", he then said "bloody well right we can give 'er a go". Actually, I am not sure what his voice or accent sounds like. But I have this strange habit of imposing my own fictional faces and voices and accents to a lot of you out there. I mean no disrespect!

So, it is Parker's Crossroads. Me versus noob in both operational and CM battles. 8 CMPzC turns which is 2x8 = 16 hours.

This will be really awesome and I hope you all swing in, grab a beer from the fridge and feel free to post anything you care to.

Next post are some screen shots of the operational area and my forces.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post #11 was looking west. This photo of the objective is looking east.

BdF.jpg

So, looking at this, my first thought is, wow! How the heck did they control traffic without an accident?

I mean I could have a panther just hauling ass through there and run right smack into some US vehicle.

Everyone stops, awkwardly they fumble through the glove box for the insurance papers....

So, looking at this, my first thought is, wow! How the heck did they control traffic without an accident?

I mean I could have a panther just hauling ass through there and run right smack into some US vehicle.

Everyone stops, awkwardly they fumble through the glove box for the insurance papers....

An arguement breaks out over whos fault it is. The americans in the jeep claim the panther was speeding, but the tank commander had the right way as the signel officer told him to preceed. Hans glances in to the jeep and can see several empty beer bottles. Hans tells the americans that if they accept blame he wont inform the MPs. The soldiers then grab their weapons and tell hans to give them all of his reichmarks so they can pay for damages to the jeep. Hans quickly gives them all of his reichmarks as soon as he does the americans start shooting but Hans quickly ducks back into his tank. He tells the driver "Fahren!".

He radios command that americans tried to kill him. Early the next morning a full scale attack on the entire line is launched.

The Battle of the Bulge has begun!!!

So, Axis Turn 02, hooray, it is 1000, 23 DEC 1944.

In 2 hours ( 1 game turn) I get a bunch of reinforcements.

I'll show you the new "arrivals" in a minute.

But what to do now?

Well, these Volks Grenadiers are just itching to attack.

Why, they had an entire hour lecture dedicated to assaulting a defended position.

And that is pronounced Folks Grenadiers. By the way.

Howdy Folks! Howdy Folks Grenadiers!

These guys can walk two hexes in 2 hours. They are dead-tired.

So, I slid them up to 2 sides of 2 different hexes and...alas they have insufficient movement points and gotta take a breather and cannot assault diddly-squat. Maybe in 2 hours they can muster up some hutspa.

Oh, I did get to replay and watch the allied moves. Boy oh boy, he has got all kinds of stuff moving around. Must be recon scout cars on wheels. It happened so fast it was a blurr.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y398/retiring2texas/120023DEC44_zps1573876a.png' alt='120023DEC44_zps1573876a.png'>

OK, I have some heavy hitters coming in to assist my "Folks Grenadiers".

Maybe like in "Die Hard", when the FBI showed up to help Officer Al Powell and the LAPD?

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y398/retiring2texas/ScheduledArrivals_zps3e751921.png' alt='ScheduledArrivals_zps3e751921.png'>

Basically they are arriving at the map edge farthest away west, south and east hexes from BdF.

noob's recon bubbas are gonna get a big surprise at lunch time!

axis turn 03, 1200, 23DEC44.

Command Report:

AxisTurn03CommandReport_zps885d923a.png

My reinforcements have arrived. German efficiency!

Arriving from the east:

Almost the entire panzer regiment (both battalions)!

EastSide120023DEC44ReinforcementsStep1Panzers_zps687a9634.png

Plus what looks like a motorized lorry-borne (your mother gave birth to you in a truck?) battalion of panzer grenadiers. With the regimental HQ.

EastSide120023DEC44ReinforcementsStep1Panzergrenadiers_zpscfb1c42c.png

Coming in from the south:

Some self-propelled panzer artillery (wespe and hornisse)

ArtilleryAssets120023DEC44_zps0b3ea8d6.png

Arriving from the west:

The rest of the Panzer regiment (Stugs)

Another battalion of panzer grenadiers. They don't have the HQ with them. You don't really want the HQ with you in RL. They'll be staff officers breathing down your neck for status reports and everyone has to sweat like the Regimental CO's comfort and evening sing-songs. Sheesh!!

WestSide120023DEC44ReinforcementsUnitMarkers_zps2d860d40.png

The story initially at center court is very humorous.

The Folks Grenadiers had a cake walk right into their objectives, which were unoccupied. They spent most of the time digging through the trash for leftover cans of US rations.

CenterCourt1200Step1_zps91ca3d7c.png

Once they finished the scrounging, they looked over at Baraque de Fraiture and saw the enemy occupants:

CenterCourt1200Step1BdFOccupants_zpsa2a4df52.png

The east side story: They have to go quite a ways to get to the objective. Road looks clear, tank of gas, pack of smokes. We'll see what happens...

EastSide120023DEC44ReinforcementsStep1_zps3385478d.png

The west side story: They also have a ways to go. Wonder what is out there in the mist? I will explain in the next few posts. Keep tuned in!

WestSide120023DEC44ReinforcementsStep1_zps131ed83c.png

West Side Story: 10 km to the objective. I breakdown my battalions into company sized units. 12th Company with 2 Stugs assumes the point and heads east down the road. It bumps into US Army scout cars in Samree. Samree, wasn't he one of those short guys in Lord of the Rings? Uh no, that was Samwise...

Hey, it is a Stug and I direct fire at the enemy M8 Greyhounds. They lose 1 vehicle and gain some fatigue.

WestSideStory120023DEC44Phase1_zpsa813fd50.png

Now, I will bring up 9th Co with 3 Stugs to try an assault. We need this roadblock removed so we can press on towards Baraque de Fraiture!

WestSideStory120023DEC44Phase2_zps52ff2275.png

The assault above is resolved and the Stugs without loss, destroy 1 more M8. But the enemy are still clinging tenaciously to Samree. There is no other route around. The road is blocked.

OK, we need boots on the ground. I move up a company of PG and some more Stugs. Standby for assault!

WestSideStory120023DEC44Phase3_zps1f698947.png

The assault is successful in pushing the M8's out of Samree. They pull-out towards the north losing 2 vehicles.

This allows me to send my units through towards Baraque de Fraiture. Careful use of movement points is essential to "milk out the last gallon of fuel".

The endstate is shown below:

WestSideStory120023DEC44Phase4_zpsc21d4e93.png

East Side Story (Part 1)

Arriving at Salmchateau at 1200 (23DEC44) on the eastern edge of the operational map, these heavy hitters have to travel west 14 km to reach Baraque de Fraiture.

EastSide120023DEC44_zps4293efee.png

And much like their counterparts moving in from the west, the units here will push a "spiess" (spear) forward to clear the way.

4th Company with 4 Panthers heads west towards Baraque de Fraiture and runs into another M8 roadblock just 5 clicks down the road. Panzer Assault! The "No Effect" notation indicates that the M8's fired on the Panthers but did no damage.

EastSide120023DEC44Phase1_zps2756408a.png

4th Company's assault results in the destruction of one of the enemy M8's. But the German tanks become disrupted and thus 3rd Company is moved up to assault and hopefully brush aside the US Army recon troops.

EastSide120023DEC44Phase2_zps0de2ad6d.png

Nothing but excitement here folks. 3rd Company destroys 2 of the M8's and pushes them back 1 hex to the west.

EastSide120023DEC44Phase3_zpsbbe8485b.png

The final assault in this post is from 1st Company, moving up from the battalion lager direct into an assault on the M8's. Clear terrain. This should be short and sweet.

EastSide120023DEC44Phase4_zps1f8ba822.png

East Side Story (Part 2)

Alas, the attack was only partially successful. No kills but no losses with the M8's losing ground off the road to the south-west.

EastSide120023DEC44Phase5_zpsfd21872a.png

Another assault from the Panther Battalion's final company.

EastSide120023DEC44Phase6_zpsa3a13f93.png

AND THE ROAD IS CLEARED!

EastSide120023DEC44Phase7_zps7f665069.png

Panzers marsch! The tank companies from the II Battalion waiting back near Salmchateau can now rush on towards the objective.

EastSide120023DEC44Phase8_zpsf300dd78.png

The final state has the entire II Battalion in the hex next to the objective along with 2 of 3 PG companies. Based on movement points, the Panther companies that assaulted, continued along only a hex or 2 if possible.

EastSide120023DEC44Phase9_zpsc0cd1b90.png