Squad numbers and unit movement

I have heard that the squad will be really downsized (from 12 to 3 or even 1 men) and I want to know why you are going to do this. It is probably because if you have 12 men per squad and you have like 12 squads the number of men will add up quick and strain your pc and it will make the game run slow and choppy. Anothe question is will you guys so the infantry running and moving correctly. I don't want to see them running all choppy and they clip the surroundings. I want them to run like real men do and I want them to fall to the ground real if they get shot or they lay down for cover. So all I really want to know is if you guys will show realistic infantry models. Thanks for your time.

Guest Michael emrys

>I have heard that the squad will be really downsized (from 12 to 3 or even 1 men) and I want to know why you are going to do this. It is probably because if you have 12 men per squad and you have like 12 squads the number of men will add up quick and strain your pc and it will make the game run slow and choppy.

I think there might be a bit of a misunderstanding here. Each squad/team will contain its full complement of men (minus casualties), it's just that the *graphic representation* will be three men for a squad and one for a team.

Guest Big Time Software

cAs Michael states, the 3 figures for Squads (2 if you have a slower system) and one for Teams/Crews is, as you suspected, for speed purposes. HOWEVER, it is just the graphical representation. Think of it like a strategic level wargame where one "counter" represents thousands of men.

All of CM's Squads contain their full compliment of men and equipment based on the TO&E of the particular formation being simulated. Each soldier's individual weapon is tracked and used to determine firepower (i.e. a unit's firepower is not a combination of all weapons averaged together). This makes CM's Squads the most realistic representation in any wargame to date. We wouldn't have it any other way :)

In terms of graphical performance, even playing on a decent system without 3D hardware won't produce "clipping" problems. What you will get are skipped frames (i.e. slower frame rate) so there will be no "tearing" or other undesirable side effects. There is no way in the known universe to fix this unless we either dramatically decrease the detail of the game or you get a 3D card and/or a faster system. This assumes, of course, that you have a fairly slow one to begin with, which might very well NOT be the case.

The models themselves, and their behavior, are very realistic. Guys walk with weapons "at the ready", move them into firing position to shoot (from the hip or shoulder, depending), crawl, lie down for cover, put arms up when surrendering, etc. There are also cool animations for chucking grenades, loading mortars, leaders waiving troops on, etc. All of this is in and has been working for months (though we have improved the model's look over time). Eventually we will have voices, in native languages, for various different actions. In short, we think you will be quite happy with what we are offering :)

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

If you had 10 Squads, all at full strength, and were playing with the "3 Man" option (instead of "2 Man" for speed purposes) you would indeed see 30 figures on the map. As you take loses the figures are proportionally reduced for each Squad. Example:

A 12 man US Squad takes 4 casualties. The graphical representation would be reduced from 3 down to 2 figures. A further 4 casualties would reduce this to 1 figure.

In a Battalion sized engagement you would see 94 figures for the infantry ALONE. That would be 27 Squads x 3 figures, 9 Platoon HQs X 1 figure, 3 Co HQs x 1 figure, and 1 Bat HQ x 1 figure. Add to this teams and you could get well over 120-140 figures on the map for a battle of this size. Then you have vehicles and enemy forces which means an AWFUL lot of figures running around :) In fact, I can't even picture this since we are only playing with a reinforced company sized force for each side and there seems to be a crud load of guys as is! If you are concerned about there being too few figures on the map, worry no longer :)

Steve

Is there any possibility of allowing one tank figure to represent one tank platoon ?

If we are able to use some 15 figures per side this would give the scenario designer the ability to recreate armoured battalion-sized battles at no extra graphics hit.

One could presume that all tanks have the same facing and reload speeds even thus simplifying damage calculations.

Even as an "unofficial" feature I know it would be really appreciated by many of us.

PLEASE ! ;)

PLEASE !

Fionn

P.s. Ok, I admit it. I'D love it ;)

Guest Big Time Software

Sorry, but it aint that easy :) CM is not set up to make aproximations for vehicles, so a 1:1 relationship is mandatory.

Steve

P.S. Glad to see you back here. I was beginning to suspect Teut kidnapped you wink.gif