Large urban map, Ciembienne, released

At long last I´ve finished my large urban map, the fictional town of Ciembienne. Downloadable from this site soon - or right away from GAJ´s site: http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/

I begun making the map because I hadn´t come across any large city maps in CMBN. Now I know why that was.

This task took a lot longer than I had anticipated - mostly because I really wanted to get all the details right. I´m the kind of CM player that won´t play a scenario if I think the map looks unrealistic. Usually, that is because I think there are far too few details: Nothing but lawns between the houses or under the trees, to exaggerate a bit.

So I´ve spent a lot of time on these "between places" - the gardens, backyards, woods and such. Because I my view they contain all the little details that make a map come to life.

This is just a map, not a scenario. There are no units, AI plans, setup zones etc.

In most cases the map itself will probably be too big for most battles. It is approximately 1 x 1 km which is very large for an urban map. My idea is that you select the part you want in the editor and use it to make your own scenario or quick battle.

This map is fictional, though many of the elements are inspired by how my own town looked in the forties. So it might look more dutch than french - and so might be more suited for the Market Garden module.

As you can see I am using Tanks-a-Lot´s fantastic building mods. They really make a difference when making something like this - and thus I highly recommend you use them when playing this map.

Use the map freely for anything you like. All I ask is that you please post screen shots of your battles in this thread. AAR´s are welcome too. And if you use it for scenarios, please credit me for the map.

Mojn - and enjoy

PS: the units in the pics are just to add some flavour and scale

qk7j.jpg

railways.jpg

tm9k.jpg

Fantastic! I personally love urban combat and have been working on a couple of urban maps myself. And yes, the small details really bring the map to life. I haven't loaded up the map yet but I'm hoping there are no windows and doors on inner building walls. A real pet hate of mine!

That is one very impressive looking map, nice work.

Looks like the type of place where point blank encounters in a scenario would be common place. Turn a corner, walk out of a building, boom.

Setting the objectives would be critical piece of the puzzle to get right seems to me.

Anyway, again, very nice work there Umlaut.

Fantastic! I personally love urban combat and have been working on a couple of urban maps myself. And yes, the small details really bring the map to life. I haven't loaded up the map yet but I'm hoping there are no windows and doors on inner building walls. A real pet hate of mine!

Don't take them all out. I have deliberately left them in a map I am doing to represent mouseholing. ;)

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I have to disappoint you when it comes to the inner walls: I agree it would be nice if the windows and doors were removed, but on a map this size it would probably have taken me about another week of work to go though all the buildings. And I really wasn´t up to that, so I decided not to.

But I won´t mind if you open the map in the editor and do it yourself ;)

Lovely map that well done. Anyone else think that trains and one or two cars(flavour) would really add to this?

I certainly do. Locomotives and train cars are on the top of my wish list for flavour objects.

Automobiles are pretty far down that list, though. Private cars were very rare sight in occupied Europe during the war. Firstly, because very few people could afford them back then, but most importantly because petrol wasn´t available for civilians.

In Denmark there was a nazi terror organization that bombed civilian establishments in retaliation for the resistance movement´s sabotage bombings. But often people were able to guess their plans because they made reconnaissance trips in civilian cars. And everbody knew that only the germans had access to petrol.

I certainly do. Locomotives and train cars are on the top of my wish list for flavour objects.

Automobiles are pretty far down that list, though. Private cars were very rare sight in occupied Europe during the war. Firstly, because very few people could afford them back then, but most importantly because petrol wasn´t available for civilians.

In Denmark there was a nazi terror organization that bombed civilian establishments in retaliation for the resistance movement´s sabotage bombings. But often people were able to guess their plans because they made reconnaissance trips in civilian cars. And everbody knew that only the germans had access to petrol.

Trains need to be added and the odd car only obviously, even a gestapo one :)

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I have to disappoint you when it comes to the inner walls: I agree it would be nice if the windows and doors were removed, but on a map this size it would probably have taken me about another week of work to go though all the buildings. And I really wasn´t up to that, so I decided not to.

But I won´t mind if you open the map in the editor and do it yourself ;)

No problem. I'm a terrible perfectionist and have already started playing around with your map. I'm really impressed with the detail. I don't think I've ever seen a map with such a complex and realistic rail system. I'm already toying with ideas of the map representing an important allied rail hub and supply depot as part of my likely never to be completed fictional late war german offensive campaign. One error I noticed is one of the bridges crossing the rail track in the north of the town has it's adjacent elevation set too low, so the bridge is sitting on top of the rail track blocking LOS and imaginary trains.

One error I noticed is one of the bridges crossing the rail track in the north of the town has it's adjacent elevation set too low, so the bridge is sitting on top of the rail track blocking LOS and imaginary trains.

OK. Haven´t noticed this. Could you please tell me exactly which bridge, so I´ll be able to correct it in a newer version?

Edit: I think I´ve spotted it now. The eastern of the two roadbridges going over the rail tracks, right?

OK. Haven´t noticed this. Could you please tell me exactly which bridge, so I´ll be able to correct it in a newer version?

Edit: I think I´ve spotted it now. The eastern of the two roadbridges going over the rail tracks, right?

Yup. Easy to fix. First time I've seen bridges crossing rail. Clever addition.

Here´s a little scenario to go with the map. It´s a very primitive - and completely untested(!) - scenario. So play at your own risk.

I´ll not upload it to GaJ´s site or the repository, as this is not a proper scenario - just sort of a very rough sketch.

So why make it available? Because it will allow you to play on the map right away - without knowing what the opposing forces are. Think of it as sort of a premade Quick Battle.

Only allies vs axis AI

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/de2281ah29kqzis/boGJ6xXkCC

PS:

Completely untested is to be taken litterally: I haven´t even played it myself yet - and the victory points may be way off. So it might be utterly impossible to win - I don´t know.