Coming soon to BFC...the War of 1812

I wonder if that story was where the American's 3rd constitutional amendment came from? :) After all if they had not commandeered her house for billets she would not have overheard their plans and I would not know the words to God Save The Queen.

Sorry to spoil your nice conjecture, but the first ten amendments to the Constitution were written well before the War of 1812.

:)

Michael

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was the wife of a Canadian militia officer and later a spy / informant for the British. Her home was in territory occupied by the American forces and soldiers were billeted at her home. Some how she found out about secret plans for surprise attack they were planning and she managed to slip away and walk many miles to warn the British commander who organized a combined British Mohawk defense that decisively defeated the American attack.

I went to Red lobster in Niagara Falls a couple weeks ago. After gorging myself I needed a walk and noticed an old cemetery next door to red lobster. So went for a walk and to my surprise it is THE Drummond hill cemetery. I snapped a picture of Laura Secord's grave, apparently the site of the famous battle, many soldiers from both sides are buried there as well. This cemetery is barely noticeable from the road and virtually unmarked.

IMG_1039-1.jpg

IMG_1035-1.jpg

In general it seems to me that it is a very rare female who has an interest in war games. I've run into several who were crazy about the Sims games. It's a different mind set. I haven't seen any reliable statistics, but it wouldn't surprise me if the fans of Sgt. Rock are better than 10:1 male:female. Maybe more like 100:1 even. Getting back to games, it seems to me that almost the only subject where there is parity between the sexes would be fantasy games like D&D.

Michael

Having learned of the contribution made by Lady Secord, it is surprising that we don't have a greater representation of the fair sex in this forum.

Some of the replies in this very thread will tell you pointblank why there aren't more women playing these sorts of games.

In general it seems to me that it is a very rare female who has an interest in war games. I've run into several who were crazy about the Sims games. It's a different mind set. I haven't seen any reliable statistics, but it wouldn't surprise me if the fans of Sgt. Rock are better than 10:1 male:female. Maybe more like 100:1 even. Getting back to games, it seems to me that almost the only subject where there is parity between the sexes would be fantasy games like D&D.

Michael

My wife is a gamer. She plays (and has since mid-teens) board games and card games and video games and RPGs (MMO, single player computer, tabletop and LARP), but she's just not as interested in games solely focused on war as she is on ones that have economics, politics, logic problems, character development etc etc. She's no tactical doofus, either, nor scared/put off by a good ruck; wargames just don't float her boat.

The wife of one of my best friends likes tabeltop wargames, amongst a slightly more picky selection of gaming genres, but she doesn't want to play CM because it's the interpersonal reactions across the table that grab her interest mostly: she likes to see the shock and dismay first hand, as she shreds the opposition forces.

This thread made me want to play a battle with just riflemen, preferably bolt action. But so far I haven't found any non USA guys with just rifles in the QB force picker. Hopefully in CM:BN but FI/GL would be good too. Does no one but the USA have some just rifle guy groups?

Tecumseh was a Native American leader of the Shawnee and a large tribal confederacy which opposed the United States during Tecumseh's War and the War of 1812. Tecumseh has become an iconic folk hero in American, Aboriginal and Canadian history. (Thanks to Wikileaks of somesuch heh...)

Tecumseh was a Native American leader of the Shawnee and a large tribal confederacy which opposed the United States during Tecumseh's War and the War of 1812. Tecumseh has become an iconic folk hero in American, Aboriginal and Canadian history. (Thanks to Wikileaks of somesuch heh...)

He makes a great snowblower engine too

ohsk55-70.jpg

Uh thanks for the updated info:

"Tecumseh was a Native American leader of the Shawnee and a large tribal confederacy which opposed the United States during Tecumseh's War and the War of 1812. Tecumseh has become an iconic folk hero in American, Aboriginal and Canadian history. He is immortalized as the inventor of the snowblower."

Off to report update to wiki...

Thank goodness for the internet. One learns so many useful things.

I am liking this game. Every time I look something up to make sure my memory is right I learn new stuff.

Sir Isaac Brock was the British general who led the British regulars and Canadian millitas assigned to defend Canada from the US. He took the job in 1802 and spent 10 years building up and training local troops. He led those forces to several victories against the US invasion before being killed in battle of Queenston Heights.

Brockville - which is 40 minutes away from where I live - is named after him. You could argue that he is the reason there is still a Canada.