Coming soon to BFC...the War of 1812

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That could be fun, and the changes needed to the game would also allow F&I, Rev War, and U.S. Civil War modules as well. Could be a whole new direction for this type of computer game! Civil War could be problematic given the size of the engagements in some cases though. I think most systems would bog down if you tried to do, say, Gettysburg! :)

I've been trying to find a good Civil War game similar to CMBN that will run on Win7, no luck so far.

Anyone remember the two Minuteman Games ACW games they put out a few years ago? Company went bust after that unfortunately.

But, it was fun playing CM-like ACW. Problem was that the terrain tended to all look the same after a while and the challenges felt all similar due to there only being three types of units: infantry, artillery and cavalry. ACW/Napoleonics may be better as an operational or strategic game.

I've always felt the American-Indian wars would be a more interesting game of the same general period at the Combat Mission scale since you would have smaller units that would break down to "sub-squads" to fight. Lots of colorful unit types too.

I've always felt the American-Indian wars would be a more interesting game of the same general period at the Combat Mission scale since you would have smaller units that would break down to "sub-squads" to fight. Lots of colorful unit types too.

Didn't they just stand in long lines while firing muskets?

I think thats a bit of an over-generalization... While of course they 'stood and delivered' you still had artillery, cavalry, and other weapons and units. There could still be a lot of situations and scenarios - to write off any conflict by one sentence is too general for me. Like saying any WW1 game would be boring because trenches.

Id still definitely prefer 20th century warfare though =)

Cavalry is not that hard to code and animate properly. Well, I am no programmer, but I know it's possible without a huge budget.

See for example the little indie game called "Mount and Blade", developed by a husband and wife in Turkey. As the title implies, it's a game about medieval warfare, and they do a pretty good job of it, despite the humble size of the production team. Highly recommended.

Have you tried Norbsofts series of games? I found them pretty good.

I have their Take Command game, but I get a CTD when I try to play it, even with the current patches.

I have been looking at the Gettysburg game, in the hope that it won't crash, but haven't picked it up yet.

Didn't they just stand in long lines while firing muskets?

Not until most of the important battles were being fought by a well-trained and well-organized Continental Army. Militias tended to fight from ambush or skirmish line. At least that is my impression from a modest amount of reading. I am not an ARW expert so don't think I am trying to pretend to be.

Michael

I have their Take Command game, but I get a CTD when I try to play it, even with the current patches.

I have been looking at the Gettysburg game, in the hope that it won't crash, but haven't picked it up yet.

Yes it was the series of Gettysburg, The Wilderness and Antietam that I meant. Because of the rather simplified ( but in my opinion wholly adequate ) graphics, you don't need a mega computer to play a game where you can command from a Regiment up to a Corps. The AI isn't bad either.

Ach, your suggestions are altogether too 'parochial'. I'd suggest the wars between the Italian communes and the Hohenstaufen emperors circa 1158-1268. Lets besiege Parma! On the plus side we'd get to recycle CMFI terrain tiles. :eek: :o

Plus, of course, there's armor!

Ach, your suggestions are altogether too 'parochial'. I'd suggest the wars between the Italian communes and the Hohenstaufen emperors circa 1158-1268. Lets besiege Parma! On the plus side we'd get to recycle CMFI terrain tiles. :eek: :o

Yeah, I'd bet that all of two people would buy that game. But they'd play it for the rest of their natural lives, and that's all that counts, right? Right?

:rolleyes:

Michael

Would us Brits get the chance to burn the White House again?

Nope. This time your invasion fleet would have been sunk or dispersed before the landings could be carried out. In any event, any troops making it to shore would have been greeted by militias armed with AK-47s.

;):D:)

Michael

My personal strategy for this game,wind up the Peninsular War a bit earlier then send the troops who have been kicking Napoleons' Marshalls' butts all over Spain and Portugal straight across the Atlantic.Those insolent Yankee farmers will have no chance.